I find this game vastly UNDERRATED!

#11StarBladeEdgePosted 11/20/2012 3:08:10 AM
overated imo
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H22t-tiWiLw&feature=fvwrel Proud user of the korean sackflash move in ttt2 !
#12JolosGhostPosted 11/20/2012 3:31:16 AM
They fixed only the battle system problems. Not everything like you claim.

Paradigm shifting pause removed.
Multiple deck storage.
Fewer main characters.
More vocal tracks (pretty much nothing but vocal tracks).
Linearity.
Revamped synthesis system.
#13VadimonyPosted 11/20/2012 5:59:38 AM
tiornys posted...
Vadimony, if you like the strategizing required for X/X-2, you'd probably enjoy FFXIII challenges as well. Obviously, you don't need a high level of strategy just to get through the game (which I'd argue is also true for X, incidentally), but that changes in a hurry when you start pushing for optimal battle times or taking on various fights at lower development than intended.

t~

Not actually true.

I'd argue that X-2 was the hardest Final Fantasy in the series. You can't really breeze right through it like you can with other FF games.

X's challenge is far harder than other games in the series, because the fights are pretty tough and you really need to plan. Tough, and I still don't know if someone beat Braska's Final Aeon just yet, thus getting to the final boss and winning the game.

Try X when you can't rely on Sphere Grid, Overdrives, Aeons, Weapon Customizations, and I think that's the key order with the others telling you not to run and whatever other restriction. Oh yeah, people say No Blitzball either.

X-2 is difficult on its own in the later stages. One of the most underrated FF games out there and easily the most dynamic game in terms of gameplay from FF as a whole.

Timing your runs isn't a challenge; that's just the game being easy enough that anyone can win so they stoop to making a competition out of it. The ratings are mostly about lowering your weapons and using the system to advance your score. It's not really that special in the long run.

And as to why I wouldn't want to bother with 13's challenges: I played majority of the game without using much of the grid in one of my runs (as it was pointless anyway since it was a waste of time), so I had little difficulty with it. If the game was more enjoyable, then I'd probably stick around to trying it more seriously, but it's not. So why would I play something that I'd likely fall asleep through. Earning money over and over with those drop rates isn't fun, nor challenging, just a waste of time.
#14tiornysPosted 11/20/2012 7:24:51 AM
I...don't understand what you're trying to rebut with the first 2/3rds of your post. The only claim I made about X or X-2 was that you "just could get through" X without a high level of strategy. I thought it was obvious that I was talking about playing the game normally.

Vadimony posted...
Timing your runs isn't a challenge; that's just the game being easy enough that anyone can win so they stoop to making a competition out of it. The ratings are mostly about lowering your weapons and using the system to advance your score. It's not really that special in the long run.

I didn't say "get the highest battle ratings" or "sprint through the game". I was talking about speed kills, i.e., ending the fight in the shortest amount of time. In a game where time is the primary unit of economy, speed running is a challenge.

And as to why I wouldn't want to bother with 13's challenges: I played majority of the game without using much of the grid in one of my runs (as it was pointless anyway since it was a waste of time), so I had little difficulty with it.

Out of curiosity, how small an amount of the Crystarium did you use, and how far did you go? Did you use a lot of upgrading? Making it through chapter 11 without touching stage 8 of the crystarium and without upgrades is doable, but I would call it reasonably difficult to do. It's possible that we have vastly different ideas about what "difficult" means.

If the game was more enjoyable, then I'd probably stick around to trying it more seriously, but it's not. So why would I play something that I'd likely fall asleep through. Earning money over and over with those drop rates isn't fun, nor challenging, just a waste of time.

My point was simply that you might find enjoyment in the game if you took the time to really explore the system, based partly on the fact that FFX and FFTactics are two of my favorite FFs along with FFXIII, and the depth of strategy available to each of those games is a large factor in my personal enjoyment (if I could play X-2 in a meaningful way while skipping most of the sidequests, I'd probably enjoy that one too, but as is I'm unlikely to ever play through it). If you're not willing to take time to explore XIII's combat, I'm not going to try to force you.

t~
#15lypsePosted 11/20/2012 9:29:24 AM
I loved the game. Just finished playing it. The game offers much replay value, beautiful soundtrack, detailed environment and good story. I have to say that I disagree the opinion saying that battle system is the only improvement. There are so many more things, but I guess it's not wise to repeat what the others already stated many times.

Anyway, just to express my feeling after completing the game, not here to argue. I enjoyed it very much. Have a nice day.
---
Friendship is eternal, as long as you know what true friendship is.
#16TCrinaleTPosted 11/21/2012 4:04:36 PM
FFVIII seriously?

I found FFVIII to be probably the worst FF I've ever played. My own list would be something like:

1) FFXII international <3
2) FFX
3) FFVII
4) FFIX
5) FFXIII
6) FFXIII-2
#17KINDERFELD(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 10:50:14 AM
FFVIII had some of the best side quests and they were pretty damn rewarding.
Also the boost system with the GFs as well as Squall's trigger when he attacked made the gameplay very fun and less than just button mashing. Also everyone had multiple unique limit abilities.

I also really enjoyed the devour ability where you could max out your stats(took a hell of a long time though).

Also the junction system and draw spell system as well as the card games etc.....

FFVIII was one of the best FF games man IMO.
---
the polyfilla way look strong in the weakness of the gaps
#18vxcorwinxvPosted 11/22/2012 1:04:50 PM(edited)
Reaper_ExE posted...
FF11 > all

Nuff said

lol no.

I agree with OP FFIII(VI) is my favorite as well. For what it was in it's day and even playing it now, I mean, how often does the bad guy win half way through the game? I don't know how people could NOT view it as one of the best FF's ever.

I also agree that this game is heavily underrated. My first 3-4 hours of it I was pretty blah about it but by the end i really enjoyed it. First PS3 game I actually bothered to get all the trophies.

Though I have to say the writing was painful at times. Especially noels overacting anger towards snow and serah's obxoious obsession with lightning
#19vxcorwinxvPosted 11/22/2012 12:12:51 PM
KINDERFELD posted...

FFVIII was one of the best FF games man IMO.

A lot of people feel this way, my wife loves this game. I however do rate it as one of my least favorite FF's of all time.

1 FFIII
2 FFII (played this a year ago was surprised at how short you can beat it in these days)
3 FFVII (sorry there is no world where sephiroth is more badass than kefka)
4 FFX
5 FF13/13-2 can't really decide I really did enjoy ff13 when it opened up at the 35~hour mark

Yeah I grew up with the SNES and even throw in the games from time to time to play so I'm probably a little bias when I say that the SNES was the prime of RPG writing/experiencing
#20ArthellinusPosted 11/23/2012 9:35:51 AM(edited)
I don't remember X or X-2 ever being difficult. Then again, I'm in the business of breaking games, so that's to be expected.

XIII is definitely the least "breakable" FF I've played. XIII-2, not so much, since monsters are stupidly imbalanced.