Is FFVII the darkest game in the series?

#1ToastyAnakinPosted 11/18/2012 8:51:02 PM
I have always felt that if FFVII were remade with all its elements intact it would get an M rating.

The imagery in FFVII and some of the concepts are pretty creepy and disturbing. The really blocky graphics add to this unintentionally.

That trail of blood leading to the president, the snake impaled,etc,etc.

I felt like the FFVII sequels and prequels have toned down the darker elements, to maintain a T rating. The sequels and prequels just don't feel as creepy, depressing or disturbing. Not that its a bad thing, I just feel a remade FFVII would be a bit toned down.

Is VII arguably the darkest of the series?

I guess you could make a case for VI....
---
"if gears can be done on the 360, than any game can be done on the 360" (Wisdom_Cube) "I am the content doesn't inst rest me yet"(theroc500)
#2JolosGhostPosted 11/18/2012 9:11:12 PM
It has a 'noir' feel to it. By dark, it's not so much as disturbing as it is 'moody'. The music and some of the imagery (including the trip to Nibelheim in Cloud's brain when he falls into the lifestream comes to mind.

If we're talking straight-up depressing, in lieue of some of the music, this game might be one of the most depressing.

Hell, one of the boss themes has vocals clamoring to the effect of, "you've already lost before you began, now go die in a freaking fire."
#3MasterofflysPosted 11/19/2012 5:20:17 PM
ToastyAnakin posted...
I felt like the FFVII sequels and prequels have toned down the darker elements, to maintain a T rating. The sequels and prequels just don't feel as creepy, depressing or disturbing. Not that its a bad thing, I just feel a remade FFVII would be a bit toned down.

Now that you mention it, yeah, you may be right. The compilation games and film, to be fair, didn't have quite as dark a story to tell. Whether the content is due to the intention to tone it down, or simply a byproduct of the overall aim... well I guess it doesn't really matter, and it'd just crush the brain anyway to think about it.

I don't consider myself one of those people who'd eat their own hand for a remake, but if it happened, it would, imo, only be worth doing if it preserved the darker elements, omitted nothing, etc. age ratings don't concern me one bit.

For the record though, as RPGs go (and yes, I know this thread was specifically about the FF series), Shadow Hearts was far, far darker than anything I've seen in FF. Good game too, if you're looking to play some older RPGs.
---
"Let them have answers- and let those answers be difficult and complex. such is life." -Altair
#4MC RaZaRPosted 11/19/2012 7:17:08 PM
Agni's Philosophy shows how dark a Final Fantasy could be. VII probably is the most depressing IMO right now.
---
Oh, I don't want to walk that far. Anything that takes more than 12 steps isn't worth doing! Eh? 12? Get it? Steps! Hehehe.- Homer J. Simpson
#5Reaper_ExEPosted 11/19/2012 9:30:47 PM
Needs moar FF11, deeper, darker story behind the 3 nations than any other ff
---
"I fight.... FOR THE USERS!"
PSN = Ace_ExE85
#6StarBladeEdgePosted 11/20/2012 2:09:27 AM
10 is the darkest in story.it's all about death.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H22t-tiWiLw&feature=fvwrel Proud user of the korean sackflash move in ttt2 !
#7SkrallRampagerPosted 11/20/2012 11:07:10 PM
I gotta go with 10.

Not super bloody, but definitely the most..... overbearing with a dark plot.
---
Wii Code: 1735-0238-9281-5861
Console Nickname: Ralph444
#8jaganshi2Posted 11/21/2012 1:10:41 AM
FF6
---
Be a part of Jaganshi-mania! Just text to 2334
#9SephiroushinPosted 11/21/2012 3:36:32 AM
Final Fantasy VI
#10Lelouch71Posted 11/21/2012 4:41:45 PM
FFVII was dark but it wasn't super dark. It's relatively tame especially compared to the likes of FFT and Xenogears. Now those were dark games.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"