Is FFVII the darkest game in the series?

#21DrakemoodPosted 11/28/2012 6:24:32 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#22MoonlightJustPosted 11/28/2012 12:15:47 PM
Lelouch71 posted...
FFVII was dark but it wasn't super dark. It's relatively tame especially compared to the likes of FFT and Xenogears. Now those were dark games.

ITS PEOPLE! SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

*Coughs* Xenogears aside, IX's pretty dark too. With the destruction of pretty much every town you visit, and with Kuja's whole "Wiping out his entire race" bit. And Vivi.

My vote probably goes to X. The characters are full of faux hope because even the best case scenario is the loss of some one they are close to, anyone can die at any point in time AND possibly come back as a monster, and the entire 'hopeful' religion is completely controlled by the bad guy. VII is dark, what with the world dying and all, but X does the whole 'hopeless hope' thing almost perfectly. Tidus even lampshades it. "The only one really laughing that day was me."
#23VegerunksPosted 11/28/2012 11:37:52 PM
LivingHitokiri posted...
Let me ask you this.
Is there a final fantasy that is not dark?
All of them are about destruction,death,wars,chaos and anything you can imagine.

As for the darkest in the series i would go with IX or VI , even if their drawing style lightens the mood the story and the whole settings in these games are hella dark!

Honestly, FFVIII and FF IX didn't feel too dark. The only parts of 8 that felt Dark were around the parade fight and the final dungeon.
---
Xbox 360 GamerTag: HolyKnight22
PSN: CrimsonDivide
#24TehAssasinPosted 11/29/2012 12:59:49 AM
Ah...still can faintly remember the first time I played the part after Cloud and co were arrested into the prison in Shinra Building. The cellars door are unlocked, the guards were all dead plus the eerie music.
#25jimrichardsPosted 11/30/2012 2:16:52 AM
While VII does have dark parts to it, I can't help but feel it falls short of the mark such that you could call it the darkest. Ix, to me, is probably the darkest, what with the overarching themes of existentiality, the meanings of life and death, the derivation and rejection of purpose.

As previously mentioned, pretty much every town you visit in the first disc is eventually destroyed or otherwise cast into darkness, and as a result much death occurs. Many of the characters are emotionally broken at various points in the story, so much so that one character (a mage, no less) is rendered mute for half a disc, and another rejects the party and tries to solo the big bads, even though he knows he isn't good enough to do so. Also Vivi. D:
---
I would prefer to be known as BlackWaltzTheThird, or just Waltz for short.
Happily married to Hilda/Hilbert's MILF as of June 4th 2012.
#26Dragoon_KailPosted 11/30/2012 6:59:04 AM
Final Fantasy VI would be the darkest seeing as you fail to save the world from ruin and there's never a magical deus ex that restores everything back to normal at the end of the game, Kefka is pretty much the basis for the joker in dark knight; only with godlike power and more insane & nihilistic, the world of ruin it's self is nothing but misary and despair, mindless cults form due to the hopeless nature of it, hoards of burried beasts are set free uon the world, almost all order is gone and you have a lunatic god destroying the world with a giant laser

The setting it's self is a very dark, steam punk esc world
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Apk08fgDNg
---
"This is good, isn't it?" .....*cries* it is good Bigboss......John......it is good~! ; ;
#27JayPB08Posted 11/30/2012 6:20:48 PM
LivingHitokiri posted...
Let me ask you this.
Is there a final fantasy that is not dark?
All of them are about destruction,death,wars,chaos and anything you can imagine.

As for the darkest in the series i would go with IX or VI , even if their drawing style lightens the mood the story and the whole settings in these games are hella dark!

I thought 9 was the lightest (out of the ones I've played; which is from 6 on, excluding 11/14). to me, it felt more family-friendly (at least compared to 7 and 8) story-wise and tone. while discs 3 and 4 were definitely darker, my opinion still stands. I'd have to go with 7 being the darkest, mainly because of the ShinRa sequence (with the sword in the director-guy's back, face-down on his desk)
---
"Are You Watching Closely?"
#28jimrichardsPosted 11/30/2012 8:12:40 PM
JayPB08 posted...
I thought 9 was the lightest (out of the ones I've played; which is from 6 on, excluding 11/14). to me, it felt more family-friendly (at least compared to 7 and 8) story-wise and tone. while discs 3 and 4 were definitely darker, my opinion still stands. I'd have to go with 7 being the darkest, mainly because of the ShinRa sequence (with the sword in the director-guy's back, face-down on his desk)

Just remember, just having blood and whatnot doesn't automatically make something dark, nor does the lack of such mean something isn't. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the overt instances or lack thereof do not represent the true measure of content at all. It's always the subtext which contains the true content, and there is a hell of a lot of darkness in the subtext of IX (as I previously mentioned). Not to say there isn't for VII, but it's significantly less pronounced, in spite of the obvious things.
---
I would prefer to be known as BlackWaltzTheThird, or just Waltz for short.
Happily married to Hilda/Hilbert's MILF as of June 4th 2012.
#29FaustXIIPosted 12/3/2012 11:08:14 PM
MoonlightJust posted...
Lelouch71 posted...
FFVII was dark but it wasn't super dark. It's relatively tame especially compared to the likes of FFT and Xenogears. Now those were dark games.

ITS PEOPLE! SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

*Coughs* Xenogears aside, IX's pretty dark too. With the destruction of pretty much every town you visit, and with Kuja's whole "Wiping out his entire race" bit. And Vivi.

My vote probably goes to X. The characters are full of faux hope because even the best case scenario is the loss of some one they are close to, anyone can die at any point in time AND possibly come back as a monster, and the entire 'hopeful' religion is completely controlled by the bad guy. VII is dark, what with the world dying and all, but X does the whole 'hopeless hope' thing almost perfectly. Tidus even lampshades it. "The only one really laughing that day was me."

HOLY ****. I need to play that game again! Yeah this is what I was saying in my earlier comment btw. But that last part, I didn't notice until now.
#30AlavardPosted 12/4/2012 11:35:41 AM
SkrallRampager posted...
I gotta go with 10.

Not super bloody, but definitely the most..... overbearing with a dark plot.

Agreed. Centuries of death and fear for no reason other than to main the status quo.

Nothing else is quite as dark. Even the massive destruction in FFVI is a one-time event.