Is it just me, or is this game WAAAAY too easy?

#1ArcaneSpiezerPosted 11/19/2012 11:50:33 AM
there is a very noticeable difficulty drop since FF13 (arguably one of the more difficult FFs to date).
i've been playing through the story without grinding at all and 5 starring pretty much every single battle, even bosses. there's no challenge to this game so far. i just beat the boss of augusta tower year 200 (which i'm not going to name for spoilers sake) and after 5 starring every form i'm hoping the game gets a difficulty hike soon.

at first i thought i was just already used to the recycled FF13 battle system?
however, it seems almost pointless to use syn, sab, sen or even med in most cases because you can demolish everything in seconds by just pounding the enemy with rav and com. i almost never have to paradigm shift.
i liked the strategic aspect of FF13 where most cases you would need to utilize every paradigm role throughout major boss battles.

don't get me wrong, this game is still great so far and i'm enjoying the more open story progression and exploration. however i was expecting something on par or at least more difficult than FF13 considering how lazy they were in reusing the combat system.
#2ArthellinusPosted 11/19/2012 12:04:40 PM
There are actually many new mechanics that they've added, but they also toned the difficulty down a lot, no doubt in large part due to complaints made by the thousands of people who played XIII and came to the conclusion that the game was too difficult and yet had a dull, boring battle system that had no depth beyond shifting between conservative/inefficient Paradigms and using autos.
#3Drake_GodPosted 11/19/2012 12:08:26 PM
It takes a lot for a game to be too easy. This is not it. Not nearly.

I agree it's easier than 13. Also faster to platinum (especially if you cheat on the brain blitz minigame).
None of the in-game enemies are really difficult.

Anyway, that's what the DLC are for. Their difficulty is at the level of some of the harder hunts in 13, requiring hours to days' worth of farming post-game and they don't give any trophies. So it's good. Give good gamers what they want without robbing poor gamers of trophies. Just hang in there till you get to these. Or try to do them before post-game if you really wana have trouble.
#4ArcaneSpiezer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 12:29:28 PM
Arthellinus posted...
There are actually many new mechanics that they've added, but they also toned the difficulty down a lot, no doubt in large part due to complaints made by the thousands of people who played XIII and came to the conclusion that the game was too difficult and yet had a dull, boring battle system that had no depth beyond shifting between conservative/inefficient Paradigms and using autos.

what i dont understand tho is why they toned down the normal difficulty AND added an easy mode. but no hard mode? the hell?
#5Agent_XoaPosted 11/19/2012 1:25:45 PM
ArcaneSpiezer posted...
considering how lazy they were in reusing the combat system.

Funniest part of the post.

Mid-to-endgame bosses are somewhat difficult and the DLC bosses are very difficult.
---
"Patience is the darkest side of power."
#6ArcaneSpiezer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 3:11:51 PM
Agent_Xoa posted...
ArcaneSpiezer posted...

Mid-to-endgame bosses are somewhat difficult and the DLC bosses are very difficult.

people can say what they will about FFX-2 but at least it introduced a completely new combat, growth, and job system.
with FF13-2 they pretty much just reused the same battle system and paradigms and added monsters as a third party member. not to mention the crysarium didn't change much either.
i wouldn't have minded as much if the game was harder, but instead it feels like i'm playing a watered-down version of FF13s combat at times. and they took out weapon and accessory leveling!?

and once again, i'm not bashing the game; it's still really fun and they made a lot of awesome changes/additions and made the game MUCH less linear.

i'm going to keep playing either way, and if it's true what people are saying about mid-to-endgame getting more difficult than i'm happy.
#7ArthellinusPosted 11/19/2012 3:16:01 PM
Even if most of the mechanics and abilities you use in battle are the same, the Crystarium itself is very different.
#8Agent_XoaPosted 11/20/2012 3:59:19 PM(edited)
ArcaneSpiezer posted...
Agent_Xoa posted...
ArcaneSpiezer posted...

people can say what they will about FFX-2 but at least it introduced a completely new combat, growth, and job system.
with FF13-2 they pretty much just reused the same battle system and paradigms and added monsters as a third party member. not to mention the crysarium didn't change much either.

It's a sequel. XIII-2 is a lot like XIII, yes, and it's obvious that it should have been. XIII-2 least attempted to add more depth outside of battle with monsters while eliminating a lot of the issues with XIII's battle system. That's just what a good sequel is supposed to do. X-2 has one of my favourite battle systems because it "reused" aspects form older FFs. X-2 was also not like a normal sequel, a spin-off would be a more fitting title.

ArcaneSpiezer posted...
i wouldn't have minded as much if the game was harder, but instead it feels like i'm playing a watered-down version of FF13s combat at times. and they took out weapon and accessory leveling!?

I shouldn't get into this, but watered down?

XIII is nothing more than a simplified version of older FFs, and you could honestly argue that it is basically a "watered down" FFX with forced ATB. Think about it, in-battle there where roles, and you would switch these roles mid-battle in order to accommodate the situation. That's what made FFX unique from the others. Crysarium is much like the Sphere grid too, only it's also more simple.

XIII just dumbs the whole thing down and removes most of the depth in order to stream-line the battle system. XIII-2 improved upon the monster idea in X-2 International and the original system in XIII, that's more than I can say about what XIII did for the series.
---
"Patience is the darkest side of power."
#9tiornysPosted 11/20/2012 4:39:33 PM
Actually, no. XIII is not just a simplified version of X. XIII runs off of a very different baseline concept: time as the primary constrained resource. X certainly played around with this to an extent, but it didn't make time into the focus of its battle system. Between the shift in focus, its attendant dropping of most battle-to-battle resources, and the superior balance per battle made possible by the reduced variance in expected PC power level entering any given battle, XIII winds up in a rather different place from X.

t~
#103pikDAMOPosted 11/22/2012 7:27:11 AM
I started the game yesterday, and am just about to go to Augusta Tower. So far, yeah, the difficulty hasn't been too troubling. Taking on Caius without a saboteur was a mistake, but then I just went and trained Serah in that and beat him first time. Otherwise there's been no major challenges.

Hopefully there'll be a difficulty increase soon. I'm kind of expecting there'll be a 'hard' difficulty unlocked when I complete the game (seeing as there's 'normal' and 'easy' so far it would be only logical). I'll probably switch onto that as soon as I get it. And, yeah, hopefully the difficulty'll jump up soon. A DLC for 'extreme' difficulty wouldn't hurt either.