Is it just me, or is this game WAAAAY too easy?

#21heartlessoutlawPosted 12/10/2012 7:30:31 AM
XSilverPhoenixX posted...
The game is not easy, it's "easier." Only hardcore players complain that it's easy. It can provide you with a suitable challenge depending on how you play. The only difference is that you can grind in this game before you hit a plateau before moving up the Crystarium.

nobody gets better if you don't challenge them. also if someone can't beat this game... than wow maybe they dont need play rpgs. maybe grab some angry birds.
#22heartlessoutlawPosted 12/10/2012 7:37:46 AM(edited)
tiornys posted...
heartlessoutlaw posted...
WHAT!? ff13 is arguably one the most easy ff game ever. i hit auto battle till chp 11 than i still hit auto battle for 90% of any battle.

Some questions, if you don't mind answering:
Did you do any or all of the missions? If so, when?
Did you do any grinding during the main storyline?
Did you do any other postgame content?
How often did you change up your team and/or paradigm deck?
Did you 5-star almost every battle, or did you typically get fewer stars?
How often did you retry battles, if at all?
How often did you use shrouds, if at all? Summons?
Did you upgrade any equipment?
How often did you alter your weapon/accessory setup?
How much did you use guides/FAQs/forum advice, if at all?

Thanks!

t~

1. yes till i got bored... it just got old (and yes it got slightly harder) it was basicly repeating the same task... go kill this thing
2. no i just hit auto battle
3. same as number one yes I did try to get my 60 dollars worth outa the game
4. never till the missions. snow, lighting, and vaan *was my main team*
5. didnt really care enough too (which is saying a lot since i normally get everything in a ff game)
6. maybe a couple on the missions when all i had to do was lvl up
7. never really
8. yep i got lighting's final weapon and almost had snow's
9. dont remember but not a lot
10. never didn't need them for a game that you cant get lost and is pretty straight forward.

YOUR WELCOME...
#23tiornysPosted 12/10/2012 7:57:07 AM(edited)
Mmmkay, I think I understand your experience. A lot of FFXIII's challenge is linked to battle rank. It is much more challenging (not to mention more engaging) to pursue consistent 5-star ratings than it is to grind out every battle with an eye to survival first (a team of Snow/Lightning/Hope is very good at survival).

If you're willing to give the game another chance to earn your $60, I'd suggest replaying the game with some added conditions: use manual entry, try to 5-star every battle, avoid using the highest open level of the Crystarium, and don't do any grinding to get resources for upgrading. For a harder challenge, avoid upgrades entirely. This is a "one stage behind" challenge, and it adds a reasonable amount of difficulty, especially at the end of Chapter 11 (where you might want to allow yourself the 4000 CP nodes).

t~

XSilverPhoenixX posted...
The game is not easy, it's "easier." Only hardcore players complain that it's easy. It can provide you with a suitable challenge depending on how you play. The only difference is that you can grind in this game before you hit a plateau before moving up the Crystarium.

I don't call FFXIII-2 easy because I'm hardcore, I call it easy because it is ridiculously easy to overlevel yourself and/or your monsters, and once you do, you're overpowered for the rest of the game, even if that grinding was near the beginning of the game.

I'm good with the removal of the Crystarium caps, but I wish they had ramped costs in a manner closer to XIII's ramping. That would have preserved the ability for players to grind their way past problem fights if they chose, but would have also made a bit of incidentaly early grinding (really easy to do when you're trying to assemble a decent paradigm pack in Bresha 005) largely meaningless by the time you reach the last chapter.
#24ArthellinusPosted 12/10/2012 9:51:45 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#25ArthellinusPosted 12/10/2012 10:19:29 AM
Yep, the CP gains are really messed up in this game.

Sometimes I almost think that a totally different design team was in charge of balancing XIII-2.
#26SlicingWindPosted 12/11/2012 8:58:58 AM
I don't understand why they implemented a replay system when you die in a battle in FF13. If the game wasn't easy enough.
#27LewdDolphin21Posted 12/11/2012 9:36:14 AM(edited)
SlicingWind posted...
I don't understand why they implemented a replay system when you die in a battle in FF13. If the game wasn't easy enough.

Did you beat the game? How many times did you have to retry?

I'll admit I was pretty skeptical of the system when I started playing XIII; I had thoughts like "I heal between battles? That's dumb!" and "I can retry battles? That's dumb!" But when I got pretty deep into the game and started realizing enemies hit a lot harder than I remember them doing in other games, that's when I realized the value of such a system. What SE did was change from a marathon approach to battling (i.e., you have to survive multiple battles in a row with the limited items that you have) to an individual approach, thereby making individual battles more difficult.

I think it worked well, but to each his own.

Edit: Just remembered I'm on the XIII-2 board, though your post referenced XIII. This game is much easier than XIII in that the difficulty never really ramps up until the final dungeon. Still, there's not much point in throwing away the Retry system if you can save anywhere in this game. (Unless you wanted to go back to the traditional Save-at-save-points system, in which case I don't have an argument.)
---
Divisibility by four? Ha! I mean, even perfect squares are divisible by four!
Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIII.
#28ArthellinusPosted 12/11/2012 11:12:19 AM
Being able to retry every fight allows for much more flexibility in designing multi-stage battles. Imagine being stuck with one deck for the entire final boss sequence in XIII-2. That's not only a hindrance, it goes against the spirit of the battle system in the first place.