Thinking about getting this game. I have questions please help.

#1bronze4v4proPosted 11/19/2012 10:30:16 PM
1. How big is the world? Is it really open world and free roam?

2. Are there lots of cutscenes and cinematics? Do I have to constantly bash "A" to go through dialogue like in tov?

3. Do monsters respawn?

4. I've played a lot of rpgs on the 360. What is this most like? I heard its like ocarina of time. How so?

5. How long is the game about? Is there a new game plus that lets you keep your level/gear in the 2nd playthrough?

6. How much incentive is there to get loot? Is there color coded loot? How many different items can you equip?

7. Are there lots of sidequests and mini games? If so, what kinds of things and how do they work?

8. What is the maximum level and is there incentive to be max level? Are there optional uber bosses or something?

9. How big are the towns and are the towns and zones in one zone or broken up into smaller pieces, i.e. load times.

10. What would you rate this game? Tell me anything you can about this game.
#2Drake_GodPosted 11/19/2012 11:02:02 PM
Thanks for the clear questions and structure.
Not the best answers, but they should help:

Not open world. You travel from place to place via a menu of destinations that you have to unlock one area at a time.

2. Are there lots of cutscenes and cinematics? Do I have to constantly bash "X" to go through dialogue like in tov?
Not too many. Not like some games (like final fantasy 10) where you play 5 minutes of scene after every 5 seconds of gameplay. Mostly when entering areas and talking to key persons. And dunno bout skipping, I usually listen to the dialogue

3. Do monsters respawn?
Yes they do. And in certain late-game areas they do so rapidly.

5. How long is the game about? Is there a new game plus that lets you keep your level/gear in the 2nd playthrough?
Quite short. No new game plus unfortunately, but there is a system that lets you skip back to any previous level and replay most of it with your current level/gear.

6. How much incentive is there to get loot? Is there color coded loot? How many different items can you equip?
There isn't really much loot. Nothing's missable. Can equip a weapon and a few accesories depending on their combined power.
There are items you need to feed to your allies to make them stronger, though.

7. Are there lots of sidequests and mini games? If so, what kinds of things and how do they work?
Nope. Some side missions, but all are small and unmissable. These are things like finding an item and bringing it back.
As for mini-games, there is slots and horse-racing (can 'build' your own horse). The DLC adds poker and another card game.

8. What is the maximum level and is there incentive to be max level? Are there optional uber bosses or something?
Each character has 6 classes, each with max 99. It's easy to reach during normal play of the game and there is a trophy for maxing.
Optional uber-bosses only in DLC

9. How big are the towns and are the towns and zones in one zone or broken up into smaller pieces, i.e. load times.
This game doesn't have towns in the normal rpg sense. Well, maybe 1. But it doesn't have shops and inns and such. No loading unless you go into a particular building.

Not the best final fantasy. Imo 3.5 out of 5. Still a great game I'd recommend.

You get 2 main characters and then a third party. The third member are monsters you capture. Most ingame enemies are catchable and they are randomly caught after battle.
You have to feed them certain items to make them stronger.
There's also a complecated monster fusion mechanic that lets you feed monsters to other monsters to give them more abilities. You don't have to do this, however. The game's easy enough without it.
The game has several DLC. They are costume type, weapon type, those 2 mini-games mentioned above, and several extra characters (one that's easy to get and the rest you have to beat to get, but for the most part you can't beat them till long after the final boss)
#3JolosGhostPosted 11/20/2012 1:55:00 PM
Drake answered the questions very well, but I'll just lend my two cents to give you yet another perspective.

bronze4v4pro posted...

As mentioned, there are a lot of areas, but no, it's not seamless open world. Everything is divided by a menu called the "Historia Crux". Every area of the game is treated as it's own miniature game. If you want to replay the story, refight the bosses, etc, etc, etc... you just rewind the gate, and start again. The game has a unique and interesting method to its madness.

2. Are there lots of cutscenes and cinematics? Do I have to constantly bash "A" to go through dialogue like in tov?

Any cutscenes are skippable, but they're not all that lengthy to begin with. Usually during any sort of dialogue, you'll see "live" in the corner, and you can skip that as though it's a cutscene as well. The only purpose of talking to party members or NPCs is usually to flavour the mundanity of 'talking' in general, and to net you some interesting Adornments to equip on your monsters.

3. Do monsters respawn?

Random battles. There are only a few places where fixed encounters exist, but since you can rewind a 'gate', setting an area's story mode back to the beginning as though you've never played it, you can realistically fight every boss in the game over and over and over again, as well as all fixed encounters.

There is only one boss in the game you can't refight because there's a glitched gate (Archylte Steppe), but that boss doesn't drop anything worthwhile anyway.

4. I've played a lot of rpgs on the 360. What is this most like? I heard its like ocarina of time. How so?

It's nothing like ocarina of time. Structurally, the game is mostly about menu navigation, and battles are very fast-paced. I couldn't really think of anything to compare this to, since Crystal Tools was designed to create a unique feel and flow to the FFXIII games.

Again, you replay segments of game to your heart's content; this ensures that there's nothing to be missed for an entire playthrough, but rather, an entire chapter. I actually prefer that system to any New Game+ model that's ever been used.

CONTINUED --->
#4JolosGhostPosted 11/20/2012 1:55:21 PM

There are approximately 64 weapons between two characters, and something like 300+ variants of accessories. You use items to synthesize and alter your accessories.

The game is basically built up of meta-missions...in that sense, it's basically nothing but side-quests strung together by a main villain who's basically just trying to throw a wrench into your plans. The mini-games were mostly disappointing to me, except for Chocobo Racing - you can capture chocobos, level them up, infuse them with abilities and then use them to race; their performance depends on their stats and abilities.

There's also a crappy slots game, and if you want to pay for it, there's Texas Hold 'Em and a unique "Chronobind" game that's actually pretty fun.

All end-game content is DLC (so you have to pay for the monsters to fight, which you can also recruit as party members), but yeah, it basically requires that you have max-level characters, and optimized final monsters. It's not just a matter of levelling up, though, you need to min/max to make sure you're as efficient and powerful as possible. You *can* trudge by with sub-par monsters, but if you plan on farming end-game content for monster crystals or components or monster materials, you *need* to be quick.

Load times are alright....leaving an area to go to the Historia Crux is nearly instant, loading an area takes a while, but it's seamless once you're in there. Again, everything is divided up into areas, so you can't just run from one to the next, you load each area with a goal in mind and don't leave until you're done or bored.

I love the game. For me, it wasn't what I *wanted* from a sequel to FFXIII, but it was extremely fun and replayable.

I consider this game an "arcade" equivalent to the current style of popular RPGs. It's not like Skyrim or Dragon Age, where it's more slow-paced and methodical, it's very fast-paced, quick to enter, quick to leave, metatask oriented and almost kiddy in it's presentation of gameplay.

I would urge you to borrow this from a friend so you can see how different it is from what you're describing in your questions; I have a feeling it's going to be a shock to the system to see how it performs in comparison, and I couldn't tell you if you'd enjoy it - it's definitely not your style, but it *is* a fun game. I'd give it at least an 8/10. Probably pushing a 9/10 when I'm enjoying it most.