Does it matter how you train?

#13pikDAMOPosted 11/22/2012 8:45:22 AM
I'm new to the game and trying to figure out the crystarium system. It seems free-er than XIII, with many similarities, which's nice. What I'm wondering is, is it possible to miss any abilities or stats or can you just train up however you like?
#2Drake_GodPosted 11/22/2012 10:04:17 AM
Serah and Noel:
There are suggested 'optimal' builds. Like only using commando and ravager for large nodes.
And some jobs give different boosts depending on whether or not you are even-levelled in that job. So you can keep that in mind to get a stat as big as possible (like magic for Serah and Str for Noel)
The Chrystarium is big enough to get lv99 in all 6 jobs.
I suggest following the crystarium progression guide. It's simple enough, but really you can do whatever you want without missing anything. (it's possible that with a bad build you wont be able to beat the 2 strongest DLC enemies. Haven't tried them yet. I just trained them like I wanted and they turned out fine)

Monsters:
An entirely different ball game. the materials you use can be VERY important, at least in post-game. But potent materials usually do the trick for pre-game. Or whatever you want to give them.
There are also some secrets as to what materials to use where. But you dont really need to worry bout that till you go after those final 2 DLC.
They also don't have enough levels to choose all the possible class bonuses and atb boosts, so you'll miss out a bit.
#3EdalborezPosted 11/22/2012 10:19:05 AM
Here's the simple version for Noel/Serah's crystarium:

The role you choose to level up does not really affect your stat growth for that "level". All of the nodes have preset bonuses and you're basically only choosing a specific role to level because you want an ability for that role. Thus when you are out of abilities to learn, continuing to level the role will not make you "better" at it.

The catch is that there are "big" nodes and "small" nodes. Both have the aforementioned preset growths, but the role you choose to reach a big node affects a small bonus you get.

Commando: +2 Strength
Ravager: +2 Magic
Sentinel: +6 HP
Saboteur:
-If leveling from an odd level to an even level: +2 Strength
-If leveling from an even level to an odd level: +2 Magic
Synergist:
-If leveling from an odd level to an even level: +6 HP
-If leveling from an even level to an odd level: +2 Magic
Medic: +6 HP
#43pikDAMO(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 4:01:19 PM
Thanks that's helpful :)
#5KINDERFELDPosted 11/25/2012 1:04:12 PM
I have a question about training saboteur and synergist role monsters.

I know both forms use magic and I should dedicate magic material to their large nodes but what other materials should I use on large nodes in each role respectively?
---
the polyfilla way look strong in the weakness of the gaps
#6ArmaLeyvatenPosted 11/25/2012 7:04:58 PM(edited)
KINDERFELD posted...

I know both forms use magic and I should dedicate magic material to their large nodes but what other materials should I use on large nodes in each role respectively?

You should dedicate magic materials to ALL their nodes unless it's a "dead level." A "dead level" is pretty much a level in which you would gain the same amount in the stat you desire regardless of whether you use a specific stat material or a potent. You get bonuses to stats on monsters regardless if it's small or large, but the bonus you get still depends on the material you use.

There are only two other roles where you should pretty much use one material type for all monsters in that role. SENs are pretty much Vitality only unless you're going for a counter-based SEN (which are fun, but against the enemies you'd want that damage to work for you they won't bother with counters). MEDs are pretty much all-Mana. COMs and RAVs it pretty much depends on the individual monster. Some are better Strength-based and some are better magic-based, so you should look into which is which in the Monster FAQ since it has most, if not all, noteworthy COMs and RAVs already.
#7tiornysPosted 11/25/2012 9:14:34 PM
Good summary, although it's worth noting that some SABs are better Strength based, since the "blah-II" and "heavy" SAB abilities are based on Strength instead of Magic.

t~
#8KINDERFELDPosted 12/7/2012 10:09:34 AM
ArmaLeyvaten posted...
KINDERFELD posted...

You should dedicate magic materials to ALL their nodes unless it's a "dead level." A "dead level" is pretty much a level in which you would gain the same amount in the stat you desire regardless of whether you use a specific stat material or a potent. You get bonuses to stats on monsters regardless if it's small or large, but the bonus you get still depends on the material you use.

There are only two other roles where you should pretty much use one material type for all monsters in that role. SENs are pretty much Vitality only unless you're going for a counter-based SEN (which are fun, but against the enemies you'd want that damage to work for you they won't bother with counters). MEDs are pretty much all-Mana. COMs and RAVs it pretty much depends on the individual monster. Some are better Strength-based and some are better magic-based, so you should look into which is which in the Monster FAQ since it has most, if not all, noteworthy COMs and RAVs already.

I assumed that MEDs were more vitality than mana since a MED with high mana but low hit points equals a dead MED.

I also read somewhere that SYN should be mana for large nodes and potent for small ones and SAB should be power for large nods and potent for small ones.

How true is this? Is the SAB role more strength oriented and SYN more mana oriented?
---
the polyfilla way look strong in the weakness of the gaps
#9ArthellinusPosted 12/7/2012 12:16:34 PM
Potent MEDs are not too bad. MEDs don't need super high Magic to perform well.

SYN should be as Magic-optimized as possible. This maximizes their buff durations.

tiornys already covered SABs.