Will i miss out on a lot if i don't play the first FFXIII?

#1astmaattackPosted 12/7/2012 6:19:56 AM
Title.
#2Drake_GodPosted 12/7/2012 6:57:12 AM
Nope.
This game has spoilers concerning XIII, and you get a PS3 theme for having XIII save data. But other than that, not much.
The stories are unrelated (enough). This isn't like continuing the first game. And unlike X-2, XIII-2 doesn't have the same areas as XIII. Even the controlled characters (but the characters from XIII are in XIII-2) are different. So it's all new.

What you need to know:
Fal'cie were like gods in the first game. They're history.
The main character's sister was the main character in XIII and has mysteriously vanished. (you actually control the sister briefly at the start of the game)

Long ago, people moved from Pulse (the planet) to Cocoon (an artificial moon-like thing in the sky) and at the end of XIII (spoilers ahead), Cocoon fell and was caught by Vanille and Fang who turned themselves into a giant crystal pillar before Cocoon hit Pulse, which would have killed everything.
#3Gandalf the IstariPosted 12/7/2012 10:55:45 AM
The game basically retcons the ending of the first in order to set up it's rather feeble plot, you won't be missing much.
#4midsizelebowskiPosted 12/7/2012 3:51:57 PM
XIII is a better game (and I loved XIII-2), you should play it. You definitely don't need to to understand or follow XIII-2's plot, but you might enjoy XIII-2 a bit more if you have XIII background.

XIII is better, and I guarantee you can find it for cheap.
#5NovaLevossidaPosted 12/8/2012 1:17:40 AM
I wouldn't waste your time on XIII at all. Just play XIII-2 and whatnot.
---
Invading world of the guilty as spirit of vengeance The guilty pay the price.
I hate Square-Activision's FFXIII and its slew of cash-in spin-offs & sequels
#6ronrealplayaPosted 12/8/2012 7:17:46 AM
Play it.
---
Nothing is sweeter than watching an enemy's revenge backfire on them.
#7ExternicaPosted 12/8/2012 9:43:22 AM
FFXIII-2 has a section at the start menu, where you can read through what happened during FFXIII. You can skip the first game, if you like.
I enjoyed both games and, at least where I live, FFXIII is quite cheap. So I think you should play it first.
#8tjjackonfirePosted 12/8/2012 10:18:14 AM
I actually liked 13 more than 13-2 so far, main reason being that my party from 13 you can't play as in 13-2...(Lightning, Vanille, Fang), other reason being that you don't have to use monsters in 13...ugh...Hate using monsters(13-2).

and to answer your question TC, you'll miss out on a great game, but then again,not everyone liked FF13.
---
uberb.blogspot.com
#9XSilverPhoenixXPosted 12/8/2012 8:16:50 PM
It would be better for you to play XIII first simply because it is important for the character development and how you interact or don't interact with them in the next game.

You'll also appreciate the better battle system in XIII-2 but you'll miss using the summons. XIII also feels more like a world even though it's often linear.
#10SamEJIVPosted 12/9/2012 3:10:48 AM
Yes, you should definitely play XIII.
---
I'm working double shifts AND overtime... I gotta tell you man,, being the best is a FULL time job! PSN:SamEJIV