should i play 13 first before this?

#1iamthe1nePosted 12/10/2012 9:12:16 PM
does playing 13 first a pre requisite before jumping to 13-2?
#2E2I_GODPosted 12/10/2012 9:25:53 PM
no, there are only a few things you really need to know:

-what happens at the end of the game

-what happens to fang and vanille and what they did

-who serah is (main character) and what she did in FFXIII

At the main title, there is a little prologue of each chapter of FFXIII :)

Other than that, you might wonder what some people are talking about but this is a game that can be played alone. XIII is very very different from a traditional final fantasy....think X with Tidus if you played it.

This is a fun game and you should play it anyhow :D
#3iamthe1ne(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 9:28:43 PM
thank goodness. i always wanted to play the XIII series but wanted to start at the improved version that is 13-2
#4ExternicaPosted 12/11/2012 2:22:44 AM
I suggest you try to play FF13 first anyway. The game received a lot of hate, so I avoided it as much as possible until I found it really cheap. I enjoyed it, to say the least and couldn't understand the backlash it received.
In terms of gameplay and leveling I had major FFX-Vibes, which is considered to be a fan-favourite last time I checked. The difference is, you can't backtrack in FFXIII to places older than Chapter 10 or 11 and there are no items needed to increase stats, like the sphere grid did.

And, well, I think both FF13-Games are very enjoyable. I found FF12 to be much worse with those awful gambits.
Also, I heard complains about FF13-2 about random encounters being back and that people didn't like that the third "party member" are monsters you capture during fights. I'm not sure what board it was, but there are wishes that Alyssa and/or Adult Hope were playable.

So, don't say "improved" unless you played both. Make your own opinion by plaing it.
#5iamthe1ne(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2012 8:03:15 AM
well i enjoyed ff12 even with the gambit and all but without map exploration and shops in ff13 for me that's a "disimprovement" but hey it's just me
#6ExternicaPosted 12/11/2012 8:36:29 AM
Uhm.. there ARE shops in FF13. At every save point, you get access to various shops to spend your cash. Though, the main point of interest are components to improve your weapons. There are new weapons to be bought, but you can find most of them in treasure orbs.
And exploration is about as big as it was in FFX. If you liked that, you feel right at home with FFXIII. As I said, lots of FFX-Vibes.
And the world opens a lot once you reach chapter 10 or 11.
Honestly, don't take those complains seriously. Most stopped playing after chapter 2 or 3, whining the game's to easy.
But the difficulty goes up, once you're introduced to the crystarium in chapter 3. I do agree that the beginning of FFXIII is slow.

It's up to you wether you'd like to give the first a shot or not, but you really should make your own opinion, rather than trusting every bad opinion blindly. Rent or lend it, if you can. That way, you don't waste much money in case you do agree with the complaints.
#7ReakkuPosted 12/16/2012 8:44:11 AM
Externica posted...
Uhm.. there ARE shops in FF13. At every save point, you get access to various shops to spend your cash. Though, the main point of interest are components to improve your weapons. There are new weapons to be bought, but you can find most of them in treasure orbs.
And exploration is about as big as it was in FFX. If you liked that, you feel right at home with FFXIII. As I said, lots of FFX-Vibes.
And the world opens a lot once you reach chapter 10 or 11.
Honestly, don't take those complains seriously. Most stopped playing after chapter 2 or 3, whining the game's to easy.
But the difficulty goes up, once you're introduced to the crystarium in chapter 3. I do agree that the beginning of FFXIII is slow.

It's up to you wether you'd like to give the first a shot or not, but you really should make your own opinion, rather than trusting every bad opinion blindly. Rent or lend it, if you can. That way, you don't waste much money in case you do agree with the complaints.

I heard the game was linear, but I bought it and played it anyway. No, the FFXIII was not only linear (moreso than FFX), but also extremely restrictive for the first 20 hours.

For the first 20 hours, you're stuck with usually two characters, the story continually shifts between different groups your party is split into (giving you multiple narratives, and a very limited use of the fast-switching paradigm system).

The worst thing about XIII would probably be the story though. Not only do you get multiple narratives, there is a continuous flow of flashbacks that flood the game, which are not told in chronological order. Bear in mind, I had read all the spoilers beforehand. Again, FFX never had these problems, which is probably why it is a fan favourite.