Just picked this up; questions

#1CatFoodPosted 12/18/2012 12:23:41 PM
I just picked this game up yesterday, so I'm not very far. Just got my first monster, the healing thing.

I still don't really get the whole Paridigm switching thing. Is there a "standard" everyone uses?

Also, what monsters should I be on the look out for to "collect" for my team?

This is quite the confusing FF I'm not use to.

-Sin
---
Industrial Music=Life
#2ExternicaPosted 12/18/2012 3:16:57 PM
Well, you'll never need a Monster-Medic.
Noel is quite capable as a healer. He has lower magic, but he can heal the entire group. On the other hand, Serah makes up for it by casting a lot faster.

Well, a good standard team is made of one commander and two Ravagers. If you're in a territory of strong monsters or against a tough boss battle, switch the second Ravager out for a sentinel.
Sentinels have the advantage of lower the damage taken for everyone and can draw the enemies attention. Together with their abilities to resist damage or regenerate, they make good tanks. However, use only monster-Sentinels.
Some good Sentinels is that turtle thing you can find on rainy days at the marsh area of Achylte. You get there during chapter 3.
An early chapter 2 Sentinel aslo exists. But as I didn't play the game in english I can't give you a name.
Another good choice is the silver Chocobo, I think. I used it a few times and it didn't seem to be bad. You won't get the silver chocobo ebfore late game and it's a hidden monster. Take a look at the chocobo racing guide, it tells you where to find the silver chocobo.
Beware: It's unique, don't use it as transfusion material! Unless you buy the Snow-DLC.

Synergists... well, Noel is better at being a Synergist, so you don't need them. Unless you miss buffs that will improve your offense. Same goes for Saboteurs, Serah is good enough for debuffs.
And again, Serah and Noel are good enough for healing. All you need is a good Commander Monster (can't think of one non-DLC Commander), a Ravager and, most important, a Sentinel.
That fire flan-thing from Sunleth was a very good monster until the Proto Fal'Cie. But I switched out my commanders a lot.
You know, just use the monsters, you think that look good/cool. Though you probably won't catch a Behemoth at this part of the game.
#3Drake_GodPosted 12/18/2012 10:28:32 PM
That's one opinion. To illustrate that there is no set formula, here's my opinion.

I used a monster-medic throughout the game, and only needed a sentinal in 1 battle.
Usually use rav-com-rav. Against a boss switch to rav-rav-rav till staggered (and a bit beyond) then com-com-com for MAJOR damage. Bringing in the moster-medic when required.
Against tougher bosses sabateurs are very important (though many people prefer syns to sabs). I usually used Serah and Noel for Sabbing.

For monsters, it's important to keep their feral links in mind. There are a few feral links that can act like a synergist (even when the monster itself is not a syn), giving your whole party buffs.
Also, if the caught-monster's info says "early peaker", that's good. It means they don't require many items to reach max level and their stats grow fast. Late Bloomers are the opposite.

Just do whatever you want. You'll see what works for you and what doesn't, then you can change. As for monsters to look out for, that's no so important. Most will do fine. The game's easy enough. You only need heavy strategy for the DLC.
But the Behemoth is nice (you'll know when you can get them) and the big goblins from the Steppe ??? zone.
#4CatFood(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2012 5:11:36 PM
What about leveling up the monsters? Who should I be focusing on leveling up?

Thanks again!

-Sin
---
Industrial Music=Life
#5kuro-shinigamiPosted 12/20/2012 7:51:34 AM
Unless you want a perfect monster, you can pretty much just use potent materials and a few power or mana one depending on the monster. Also if you're planning to go through the story first, then taking on the extra things and post game then you can just use any early peaker monster since they're easy to max out and get good stats fast.
---
Breakdancing Afro-Miku Man!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0t1WlLDSMg
#6RintinsinPosted 12/21/2012 9:53:32 AM
Okay paradigms are one thing and monsters are another depending on your play style that will be how you choose paradigms for ex some ppl use Cerberus (com/com/com) where I personally favor Agression (com/rav/com). By the way you pick those to pump out hvy single target damage (multi target too with the change in cross and wide(aoe) but I learned from 13 where that didn't exist... Old habits) anyway a solid paradigm favored by most is solidarity and combat clinic (com/med/sent) and (med/med/sent). Play around with it really figure out what works best also Serahh ALWAYS picks the bow over the sword on wide paradigms.

Now for starter monsters and that's all ima tell you about. At least the ones that worked for me. Now to replace that Garbo cait'seith. Head to Augusta tower 300, you gotta burn wild artefacts but not to many this zones tile is north of serendipity/10 yaschas massif. Now fight things until a green flan with a siren on its helm heals its partners, I don't remember the name but I think it's flanitor. I don't think there is a button sequence for this monsters feral link and it charges fast and it provide an instant quick heal that should las for awhile (it can be use as an oh sh*t on special abilities where the camera focuses on the bosses ability).

Now for your sent... You don't really need a sent till you can acquire this one I had to grab him for the boss of that zone. You will have to go to ???archlyte steepes ( sunny music there is my favorite XD). Anyway get to weather changing and flip it to sand stormy. Run around and find a yellow monster you have to stagger to do real dam to it. He is very usefull on this zones boss. (First kill I always had him out I think)

Now your ravager I picked a buckaboo. Go to 300 bresh ruins tile is south of 05 bresh ruins just run around very easy to get very durable very simple feral link sequence.

As for the com chocobo chocobo chocobo chocobo. DO NOT fight red if you aren't like halfway through. Wish I could make it simpler lol. Buffing/debuffing is cool but idk what mobs give O buffs Serah can handle the needed debuffs. By the way go to your monster list and find the term "infusion".... Really handy haha didn't use it first play through it basically gives moves to a new monster and there are bonuses with certain infusions. Sorry for the length and if any of this was already covered.
#7CatFood(Topic Creator)Posted 12/21/2012 10:27:40 AM
Ok I kinda got the handle on monsters and the paridigm thing.

Last question I have: "leveling" up Serah and Noel. Which should each focus on? I have over 10,000 to distribute, so where should I put these points?

Thanks again everyone!! It's appreciated!!

-Sin
---
Industrial Music=Life
#8Retroxgamer0Posted 12/21/2012 12:18:52 PM(edited)
CatFood posted...
I just picked this game up yesterday, so I'm not very far. Just got my first monster, the healing thing.

I still don't really get the whole Paridigm switching thing. Is there a "standard" everyone uses?

Also, what monsters should I be on the look out for to "collect" for my team?

This is quite the confusing FF I'm not use to.

-Sin

relentless assault (COM/RAV/RAV) is the staple for bringing up the chain gauge
aggression (COM/COM/RAV) is the staple for causing massive damage when the enemy is staggered

the rest is prettymuch up to you and situational, but those are always your bread and butter. sometimes you will need RAV/RAV/RAV to quickly bring up the chain gauge. adding a single commando is going to make the chain gauge fill up much more reliable for the cost of a little speed, so its only used usually on special cases like 5 starring bosses on a developed party or fighting specialty bosses.

you can go ahead and play with it otherwise, thats part of the fun of the games. try out new things and see what works best yourself. the only thing that confuses people is that they dont understand that ravagers need a commando or saboteur to keep the chain gauge moving reliably. this should be extremely obvious if you just try a triple ravager team.
#9RintinsinPosted 12/21/2012 1:03:18 PM
CatFood posted...
Ok I kinda got the handle on monsters and the paridigm thing.

Last question I have: "leveling" up Serah and Noel. Which should each focus on? I have over 10,000 to distribute, so where should I put these points?

Thanks again everyone!! It's appreciated!!

-Sin

Well you build based off what they are going to be. If you have noticed in the Crystarium there are small orbs and big orbs. When you fill out a big orb you get an added bonus off w/e class you picked to fill it out. So when you have a com fill out the big orb you will get an added bonus to str.
This is what I am pretty sure of:
Com = Str
Rav = Mag
Sent = hp
This is what I am 50/50 on:
Sab = str
Syn = mag
Med = hp

I am unsure because I think I have seen other bonuses pop up when I was sure I was going to get str or something. Build evenly but I would ignore a role if I have all the skills on it and then build the other ones up for skills. After you have all the skill unlocks it doesn't matter just what you do with the big orbs.

BTW damn you for making me revisit this game now XD
#10Montie2kPosted 12/21/2012 6:14:52 PM
Med is always HP. Sab flips between STR and MAG, and Syn flips between MAG and HP, depending on whether you are going to an even level or an odd level in that role.
---
So are we so different? Of course, we are, and you will be even more different if I ever finish my homemade flame thrower.
-Jack Handey