This game, compared to the first.

#1Guardian_ShadowPosted 12/26/2012 3:43:28 PM
How is it, basically? I really enjoyed the first game, but the apparent lack of the original cast from XIII and the whole train monsters thing (which I absolutely hated in Tales of Symphonia 2) makes me reluctant to just go out and buy it. I'm never thrilled by sequels that leave out the characters from the first game. But if the game itself is good enough, that can be overlooked.
---
Note: Having a different opinion than you =/= Trolling.
#2Nelo_PortgasPosted 12/26/2012 4:34:55 PM
The gameplay is pretty much everything the first should have been in my eyes. No 30-hour tutorial and you not only can revisit each area but replay each from the beginning. Gameplay wise, it's much more fun.
Storywise, if you liked the themes of the original, you'll see more of them here. Overall, it's a bit kitsch but fun. Get it if you can buy it for cheap
---
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/Nelo-Tattoo/tumblr_lc9n0wlFUT1qzozj1.gif
#3Lelouch71Posted 12/26/2012 4:57:18 PM
Story wise: You will likely be in two camps from what I observed from FFXIII fans. You will either like it enough but still prefer the prequel or outright hate it because you love the original story. As someone who thought the prequel was alright, I actually prefer the story in this game. It just gripped me more.

Gameplay wise: It's better but it's not as challenging as the prequel. There was definitely enough improvement and the game isn't a straight path. If you are the type that like a narrow path game then you might not like the change.

Character wise: Honestly, I enjoyed Noel and Serah more. They showed more chemistry (friendship of course) than the entire FFXIII cast. Hope is a lot better in this game. Then again I didn't really like him that much in the prequel. He has a pretty big role in this game. Sazh, Vanille, Snow, and Fang have a cameo role. Lightning is the focal point but she is rarely scene. You will get LR if you want just Lightning especially she is the only playable character in the game.

To put it bluntly FFXIII-2 is more geared towards people who weren't major FFXIII fans. Not to say FFXIII fans can't enjoy it either which some do. Just go in not expecting it to be exactly like FFXIII. I suggest renting or borrowing it. For me, FFXIII-2 is the first FF in awhile that I actually enjoyed enough to replay and try different things.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#4TheRedButlerPosted 12/27/2012 2:41:36 AM
FFXIII was pretty awesome. XIII-2 blows it out of the water.

The basics are the same in combat, but your third slot will be a monster whose crystal you obtained via battle. Powering them up is pretty straight forward, though it's easy to find guides on how to optimize them through giving them the right parts and infusions from other monsters.

The crystarium is more straight forward this time. You have small and large nodes on a single linear path and can choose which role to advance with each node. You get special bonuses based on which role you slot into each large node. There's an FAQ that tells you step by step how to advance each character for the best stats and a good skill spread.

You can and will visit each area multiple times. You even gain the ability to reset areas and effectively replay them, which lets you try out new dialogue options and pick up items that would be otherwise missable. The individual areas are often less linear than the areas in XIII. There are also more areas, though each individual area is smaller.

Equipment is simplified. And gathering what you need for the best equipment isn't nearly the chore that it was in the previous game.

More of the world's lore is mentioned, both during the game itself and by the fragments you can collect(some story related but many optional). It really clears up a lot of the more head scratching bits from the first game.

It has some minigames. But in true Final Fantasy tradition they are pretty lame.
---
Geek Orthodox
#5VeraxulousPosted 12/27/2012 4:55:45 PM
It's worth the low price the game is now... but don't play it with a lot of hype going in.
#6Retroxgamer0Posted 12/27/2012 9:28:28 PM
13 sucks compared to this.
#7ATTACK__CATPosted 12/30/2012 3:48:41 PM
I thought 13s plot was awful and had terrible pacing.

thus the whole 'it gets better about 20 hours in' that people kept saying at the time. even ZP was told that.

in truth 'better' still wasnt that good.

13-2 fixed alot but IMO it feels very detatched from FF13. Similar to FFX-2.

unlike X-2 its not bad.

definitely an improvement on the first, but IMO still not up to the par set by most of the ps2 era JRPGs.

not by a long shot.
---
*PSN yggdrasilProject*
*Black FC 1420 6344 0225
#8buffy720Posted 12/30/2012 4:05:11 PM
Still around, Guardian_Shadow?

Anyway, the game itself is better at being open than the first one. It's not super open, but it does give you the ability to do more things. It's definitely less challenging, but it's still a fun game.

As for the characters...well, Serah is bland as cardboard, while Noel is actually one of the better protagonists of recent FF history. You'll see the original characters from the first throughout the game, but they don't lend a whole lot to it. Hope and Lightning are important, though they still pale in comparison to Serah (she takes away from Noel, who doesn't get to have much story until late in the game, and Serah isn't even interesting enough to have that big of a role.)

With it being cheap now, you should at least give it a try and see what you think.
---
"You're right. I am a weapon. Every cell in my body is aching for a fight. They long to collide with their anti-existence." ~ Jr.
#9SkrallRampagerPosted 12/31/2012 12:17:58 AM
Ewww....

FFXIII-2 story = garbage

Ughhh.... it's just so bad......
---
Wii Code: 1735-0238-9281-5861
Console Nickname: Ralph444
#10theofficefan99Posted 12/31/2012 12:26:15 AM
XIII-2 is much worse in almost every single way. The plot is also insultingly bad.

The only thing it does better is that there's more in terms of exploration and combat is a bit faster-paced (though disgustingly easy).
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin