Does this game have the best soundtrack of all FFs?

#1KINDERFELDPosted 12/29/2012 9:53:40 AM
I think so.

I've beaten this game and I'm currently playing Star Ocean Last Hope Int. and I still can't get this game's soundtrack out of my head.

I think I'm gonna get it on amazon next week.

Anyone who dislikes this game's music is a horrible person inside!
---
the polyfilla way look strong in the weakness of the gaps
#2ImSoCold2323Posted 12/29/2012 3:23:54 PM
Really?

Normally I just ignore the music in a game like this, but I thought this one was particularly annoying. This is the only RPG where I've played through the main story on mute, with my own music playing.

Some of the music was ridiculously loud too, louder than the character voices at times, like they were trying to force it down your throat.

Not all of it was bad. Basically any looping background music that had actual singing in it had me reaching for the mute button. Unfortunately that was a lot of it.

All personal opinion, of course (from an apparently horrible person!).
---
"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."
#3KINDERFELD(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2012 4:44:42 PM
ImSoCold2323 posted...
Really?

Normally I just ignore the music in a game like this, but I thought this one was particularly annoying. This is the only RPG where I've played through the main story on mute, with my own music playing.

Some of the music was ridiculously loud too, louder than the character voices at times, like they were trying to force it down your throat.

Not all of it was bad. Basically any looping background music that had actual singing in it had me reaching for the mute button. Unfortunately that was a lot of it.

All personal opinion, of course (from an apparently horrible person!).

Well I don't exactly think you're a horrible person but you're missing out on some great music in a game. It's one of the aspects to this game that makes level grinding fun.

You have to listen carefully but they're actually singing in English in the songs. Their accents make it sound foreign.
---
#4MisterTelliusPosted 12/29/2012 6:01:32 PM
I don't think so. I generally like it, but I got more enjoyment from more songs in IV-VIII. I guess maybe FFIV has my favorite soundtrack. The original, though, not the arranged one.
---
Nihilism was never my cup of tea.
#5kanartPosted 12/30/2012 1:44:45 AM
I think XIII-2 soundtrack comes third.

For me it's

1. FFXIII
2. FFX
3. FFXIII-2
4. FFXII
5. FFVIII

XIII-2 is has a large variety of music genres (like FFXIII) but with 3 composers and audacity I think XIII-2 is one of the most interesting soundtrack.

I mean, in which game (FPS, RPG, FF...) can you hear something like Eclipse, New Bodhum OST or Starting Over. These tracks are among my favorites in the series.
#6shadowkratos774Posted 12/30/2012 2:20:10 AM
it certainly has the most diverse and distinct soundtrack, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite.
---
You will give the people an ideal to strive towards...
But in time, they will join you in the sun.
#7KINDERFELD(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2012 7:35:22 AM
kanart posted...
I think XIII-2 soundtrack comes third.

For me it's

1. FFXIII
2. FFX
3. FFXIII-2
4. FFXII
5. FFVIII

XIII-2 is has a large variety of music genres (like FFXIII) but with 3 composers and audacity I think XIII-2 is one of the most interesting soundtrack.

I mean, in which game (FPS, RPG, FF...) can you hear something like Eclipse, New Bodhum OST or Starting Over. These tracks are among my favorites in the series.

OMG I can't get Starting Over out of my head.

I think once I made out what she was saying in the song, it be came tatted into my DNA or something!

Awesome song!!
---
#8ATTACK__CATPosted 12/30/2012 2:39:00 PM(edited)
crazy chocobo theme is awesome.

other than that i think not. personally i give it to 8.

but 7 gets an honorable mention.

still the music just isnt the same without the game half the time. its like the shinra or the turks in ff7. the music sets the mood and is icing on the awesome cake.

IMO modern FFs are a touch monotonus. the music itself can be very good (such as blinded by light) but it doesnt set the mood properly.

the turks theme in 7 is probably the most memorable example. certainly to me. it just fit them perfectly, and game wouldnt be the same without it.

now take bartandelus. i have 0 music associated with him in my head. it was 100% forgettable.

sephiroth one winged angel. cliche yes. good yes. was it the perfect track for sephiroth? yes.

-> also square has been sub par since ffx especially on the soundtrack front.

wild arms 3, any shadow hearts games, shin megami tensai DDS1+2. all amazing soundtracks at least on par with ffx (the last true great imo).

ofc all this is 100% subjective, but id go as far to say the above >> than ffx gameplay / plot/ everything wise aswell.

considering my love for FF it really shows squares stagnation followed by decline.

theyve lost touch with the jrpg. they sat on their hands and did nothing while other produced equal / better games. then when they realised theyd lost their grip they desperately tried to claw it back, trying to be 'new and innovative' and just producing junk imo.

ffx-2s girly aim started it all. i get that there not many girly games, but did they just not realise 99% of their fanbase arnt girls, and alienated alot of their fanbase all while promising continuation from a well loved game (tidus cliffhanger got me at the end of FFX but FFX-2 just handled it awfully). then its just been bad choice after bad choice.

wow rant. apologies.

TL:DR -> square has been on the decline imo. ff13-2s soundtrack has some nice stuff, but it just doesnt tie into the game like all the old stuff did. ffx was the last great.
---
*PSN yggdrasilProject*
*Black FC 1420 6344 0225
#9agesboyPosted 12/30/2012 5:07:51 PM
though I still haven't finished it, my favorite's probably 8. 13-2 has some great music overall, but The Extreme and Julia are just too good.
---
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb6aqpl8jx1r3ifxzo1_500.gif
KrahenProphet and Kana are on opposite ends of the Awesome Spectrum.
#10ATTACK__CATPosted 12/30/2012 5:23:21 PM(edited)
^ also premonition (sorceress theme) man with the machine gun (lagunas battle theme), the music during the sorceress parade...

all great tracks but i just cant listen to them without seeing the parts of the game in my head.

i can totally see how you could argue as lone tracks alot of whats in the old FFs arnt great (though some are) simply because of the midi restriction. its more the fact each track was perfect for its scene / part in the game.

1+1 = 4. the music alone isnt AMAZING, and neither is the game. but when combined the result is greater than the sum of its parts.

reminded me of this awesome thing i saw where they took the iconic scene where darth vader steps out of his ship with his legions all lined up and replaced the music with some jazz. perfect illustration of how music can affect the tone.

the powerful imperial march 100% made that scene. without it the scene has no .... gravitas... no weight. darth vader just seems like some guy dressed like a fool.

^also from zanarkand (FFX) and kuon (FFX-2) were some POWERFUL piano pieces. fit the tone really well with the opening of FFX and the whole 'this is our story' thing (people forget the first 3/4 of ffx is a mournful flashback when they are already at zanarkand and yunas sacrafice seems imminent-> this music fits that exactly)
---
*PSN yggdrasilProject*
*Black FC 1420 6344 0225