Was gifted this game, anything important to know?

#1GiftedACIIIPosted 12/30/2012 3:54:38 PM
For Christmas I had my cousin buy me a video game. I wanted Kingdom Hearts 3DS and he only planned on getting that for me but my cousin saw this game and decided to get it so it was an extra even though I haven't played a single FF in my life (though I heard lots and lots about it). So I'm wondering are there anything important I should know? The mechanics? Lost Forever items? Should I play the original FF13 first to get the story? Give me everything you have FFXIII-2 board!
#2ATTACK__CATPosted 12/30/2012 4:06:18 PM
'never played an ff*... play FFX. then if you can stomach going back a few decades in graphics play everything before FFX. there >> than 13/13-2.

but failing that you should probably play ff13 first before 13-2.

other than that dont do anything with any '****chu' monsters. think pikachu. they are one of a kind. some are strong, others have good abilities to fuse into others.

beyond that have fun.
---
*PSN yggdrasilProject*
*Black FC 1420 6344 0225
#3GiftedACIII(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2012 4:19:08 PM
ATTACK__CAT posted...
'never played an ff*... play FFX. then if you can stomach going back a few decades in graphics play everything before FFX. there >> than 13/13-2.

but failing that you should probably play ff13 first before 13-2.

other than that dont do anything with any '****chu' monsters. think pikachu. they are one of a kind. some are strong, others have good abilities to fuse into others.

beyond that have fun.

Oh crap sorry, I forgot to mention it was on the Xbox360, don't have an access to PS3 (even though I like their community better) so I don't have access to most of the FFs. What I really want to try is FF7 but its a PS1 exclusive and mine is broken. But yeah I should probably get FF13 first, its just that my local stores don't have it and my cousin leaves in a few days.
#4tiornysPosted 12/30/2012 4:22:24 PM
It's not necessary to play FFXIII first; the game will tell you enough of what happens to allow you to follow the story in FFXIII-2. There are various characters who might be a bit less meaningful to you, and you'll get spoiled on some of the ending events of FFXIII (including the most important).

So if you plan to play FFXIII ever, and you hate being spoiled on stuff, then I'd wait and play that first. Otherwise, go ahead and play the game you have.

t~
#5ATTACK__CATPosted 12/30/2012 4:41:18 PM
^ disagree.

the plot is very 'save lightening' at least at first. its rendered fairly moot if you dont know who lightening is / what she did to save serah.

it does explain what happened a bit more but not till later on.

^ also FYI ff7 is on pc too. and with fan mods etc it is very playable / has alot better graphics.
---
*PSN yggdrasilProject*
*Black FC 1420 6344 0225
#6tiornysPosted 12/30/2012 4:48:29 PM
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The game itself doesn't necessarily tell you all that much, but there is a "Beginner's Primer" available from the Start Menu that does cover the events of FFXIII.

t~
#7GiftedACIII(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2012 5:00:10 PM
ATTACK__CAT posted...
^ disagree.

the plot is very 'save lightening' at least at first. its rendered fairly moot if you dont know who lightening is / what she did to save serah.

it does explain what happened a bit more but not till later on.

^ also FYI ff7 is on pc too. and with fan mods etc it is very playable / has alot better graphics.

Ok thanks, actually I guess we're going to the store tomorrow to see if they have FF13 now. Thanks for the replies guys! And for FF7, I do know that but is it like the PC version of RE4 which was mostly inferior and is the experience still the same as if on a console? Also are there any fan favorite FFs for Nintendo consoles?
#8ATTACK__CATPosted 12/30/2012 6:00:29 PM
^ the experience was origionally buggier than consoles yes, but its a well loved games and it didnt take long for fans to mod out the bugs and put in some pretty nifty stuff.

graphics packs and the like.

and while its true to does have a 'previously' its not really the same.

its like going in and watching the lord of the rings 2 first.

you will catch up on whats going on, but its not quite the same.

there not MASSIVELY linked, but its mainly FF13 is about lightening saving serah, but before she could see her lightening disappears... FF13-2 is about serah saving lightening.

the basic details of which you will learn within 10 mins of playing ff13-2.
---
*PSN yggdrasilProject*
*Black FC 1420 6344 0225