I hated FFXIII...just got this game and...

#1DoGCyNPosted 12/31/2012 4:09:39 PM(edited)
WOW...I'm absolutely loving it so far. Wasn't a fan of the first game's battle system either, but even that in this one feels....idk..."better." Can't believe I waited so long to play this.

You're welcome for the blog, just wanted to post my opinion in hopes some other FF craving fan will see it ;D.
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
#2Lelouch71Posted 12/31/2012 4:56:35 PM
It's good that you are enjoying it so far. Sometimes there are cases of those who hated FFXIII that ended up liking FFXIII-2 more. Same for vice versa. Just continue having fun.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#3buffy720Posted 12/31/2012 5:04:24 PM
Good to hear you're enjoying it so far. I tend to prefer XIII-2 myself on most counts.

Hope you continue to like the game. :)
---
"You're right. I am a weapon. Every cell in my body is aching for a fight. They long to collide with their anti-existence." ~ Jr.
#4Dark GunnerPosted 1/1/2013 11:24:19 AM
I owned ff13 for a long time but never beat it. Found this for cheap on boxing day and grabbed it for myself, but wanted to beat 13 first. I tried, got to chapter 11, gran pulse was nice but something about the game just....didn't sit right, so I finished the story on youtube then prayed as i popped this one in....

So far, much much better.
---
PSN: FinalOcean
Currently Playing: Demon's Souls, BlazBlue Continuum Shift (Noel)
#5auronrenouillePosted 1/1/2013 1:16:44 PM
I've loved both but the Final Fantasy genre, at least in the US, has worked itself into a bit of a niche within RPG, particularly as American companies have gotten in on the game and made the Western RPG into its own category. I loved the Mass Effect series too, but it's very strange when FF and Mass Effect show up in the same category.

The tone and setup of XIII-2 is, I think, fairly similar to X-2, in that the story isn't necessarily fully linear and you can visit many game locales at the outset, although without the weird gender "issues" of X-2, which I think in America felt like a game aimed at women (I don't think it was received that way in Japan, but I can't be certain). XIII-2 is at least more linear than X-2, which opened up most of the world to you an hour or so into the game.

Anyhow, they're definitely different games and I'm glad you've enjoyed this :). I think they did a very good job of giving you the FF13 core storyline, although it of course spoils the ending of FF13 in a big way.
---
- Time is a river, and history repeats.
#6kewldude475Posted 1/1/2013 5:57:03 PM
Dark Gunner posted...
I owned ff13 for a long time but never beat it. Found this for cheap on boxing day and grabbed it for myself, but wanted to beat 13 first. I tried, got to chapter 11, gran pulse was nice but something about the game just....didn't sit right, so I finished the story on youtube then prayed as i popped this one in....

So far, much much better.

Exactly this.
---
PS3/Vita PSN: kewldude475; 3DS FC: 4253-3798-3218; Steam: kewldude475
Now playing: Persona 3: FES, Assassin's Creed 2
#7James_NizzlePosted 1/1/2013 6:24:49 PM
Dude, same here. I'm on episode 4 and I vastly prefer this over ffXIII. The whole time traveling thing reminds me of a less detailed radiant historia and I freakin loved that game.

I know many people have already said this, but this game is better viewed as a standalone FF.
---
RPGs Fill the void inside me
#8jenovaschilldPosted 1/2/2013 10:37:52 AM
I have played a 100's of rpgs over the last 20 yrs - and have had no problem with FFXIII - yeah the story was here and there and let's face it- the bad guy, antagonist, was .... I can't even remember the main antagonist well enough to understand his driving force, and really, preventing a catastrophe is good enough for a 2hr movie but not enough to compel a protagonist through 40hrs of gameplay.

I love fantasy - I thought LOST ODYSSEY was awesome jrpg, but I may be growing old/out of 'final fantasy' games the cutesy chit of the mog in 13-2 was kinda grating after a while (scrappy doo, jar jar binks paradox).

Still though the high production and better graphics of ff 13 made it a very fine game- at least it was the best rpg out that year anyways. And I nertainly got my moneys worth!
---
:)
#9ATTACK__CATPosted 1/3/2013 4:08:23 PM
^ IMO ff13-2 is ff13 in easy mode (was easy enough as it was). the plots were both awful but ff13-2 paced it ALOT better. ff13s pacing was terrible.

the first few hours were dull gamplay (literally nothing but mash X -> no roles so no interesting) but had marginally interesting plot. personally i think they could of introduced the whole l'cie fal'cie thing alot better. i forgive them because making stuff up, and assigning random made up words to it is hard to explain without forcing it in (as all the characters knew what l'cie and fal'cie were from the start, so why would they spout exposition as to what they are?).

after that it was 15+ hours of 'get to palumpolum'.

literally that is the only main plot point that occured from snow being taken to arriving at palumpolum.

there was alot of mouth flapping... flashbacks to before the start of the game etc.

but that was just bad progression and bad storytelling. 0% main story progression for 15 hours.

after that it picked up alot. story was still awful, but at least stuff happened and a sense of urgency came along (as opposed to the stroll to palumpolum where they basically said 'were going to die eventually...' -> duh arnt we all? if you dont put a timescale for all we know it could be years. and during your uneventful 15 hour casual stroll filled with mouth flapping you didnt act like you were pressured for time at all)

ff13-2 story ws better paced, stuff happened. more freedom etc. still was a bad story, but it was better executed than the first.

excuse the rant, wasnt intentional when i started.
---
*PSN yggdrasilProject*
*Black FC 1420 6344 0225
#10Haley Joel OsmentPosted 1/3/2013 5:49:51 PM
XIII-2 fixed some things that were wrong with XIII, but then failed in other areas where XIII actually got it right. All in all they're a pair of deeply flawed and generally mediocre games, only saved by a handful of characters and a fun battle system.

---
I see dead people.