just started. I don't get the crystarium at all.

#1bronze4v4proPosted 1/9/2013 12:20:22 AM
i played ff13 and got the crystarium level up portion fine. But for this game, its strange.

How do I know what I'm gaining when I'm on a node? I know it says what the node does when you're on an ability, but on other nodes, it didn't say what it did if I spent points there, and when I did, I unlocked health or attack/magic damage points.

How do I tell beforehand what the nodes do?
#2Tic TacPosted 1/9/2013 1:26:27 AM(edited)
You don't, other than knowing that large nodes give bigger stat bonuses than the small ones, so you want to develop your primary roles on those as much as possible (COM for Noel and RAV for Serah for example). It's a lot more needlessly complicated than that though. If you don't want to gimp your characters, your best bet is to just follow the Crystarium progression guide on here, though it doesn't really matter as the game is easy anyway.

As for abilities, you'll just unlock those naturally as you progress in each role. The bonuses you choose at the end of each stage don't really matter, as you'll get them all eventually. Unless you're following the guide, in which case make sure to unlock new roles when it tells you to (but other than that you don't need to follow it exactly).
---
Monkey see, monkey do - just another animal in the zoo.
#3biopsistePosted 1/9/2013 10:06:05 AM
Do yourself a favor and use the Progression Guide posted here. Seriously (although you're probably too late).
#4tls4gatorbaitPosted 1/9/2013 11:20:53 AM
it doesnt matter

your so powerful it doesnt matter. really, dont bother
#5DXMGPosted 1/13/2013 2:06:33 PM
It seems more complicated than it is. I think the main thing that confuses people is how a node will give an ability to one role but not another, the mechanics of which arent immediately apparent. It seems as though you might lose the chance to learn a given ability if you dont level that particular node as Ravager or whatever.

The important part to know is this - you cant lose any abilities. You will always be able to learn everything that your characters can learn, regardless of how you spend points in the crytsarium.

That said, you can most certainly optimize the stat gains by doing it "right". You cant really do it "wrong", just sub-optimally.
---
Medic!
#6Tenkaichi3_KingPosted 1/13/2013 8:46:01 PM
What I did was use Sentinel, Medic and even levels of Synergist to move along the small nodes.

And when you reach a large node, use RAV, COM, SAB or odd levels of SYN to get the +2 bonus attacking stats. You need to learn to set up the Large Nodes for whichever stat you want, so just move along with the right stick and see how many small nodes will be used before you reach a Large Node.

Always keep SYN at an even level, and whenever you want the +2 Magic bonus, level it up on a Large node.

Commando: +2 Strength
Ravager: +2 Magic
Sentinel: +6 HP
Saboteur:
If leveling from an odd level to an even level: +2 Strength
If leveling from an even level to an odd level: +2 Magic
Synergist:
If leveling from an odd level to an even level: +6 HP
If leveling from an even level to an odd level: +2 Magic
Medic: +6 HP

Many people say Serah excels at Magic and Noel excels at Strength so here's an example of what you should do when it comes to SABOTEUR:

Serah = when SAB is level 34, level SAB to 35 using a Large Node and you will get +2 Bonus stat on Magic plus whatever you'd get normally levelling a Large Node.
Noel = when you're level is on 35, level it to 36 and you'd get +2 Bonus stat on Strength plus whatever you'd get normally.

It just depends on how you'd like your characters to develop, if you want Noel to be a Magic beast by all means, level his Large nodes with RAVAGER, SAB (ODD lvls) and SYN (ODD lvls). If you want Serah to be a Strength stat beast, level her large nodes with COMMANDO and SAB (even level). Totally your choice, you could even choose to be a HP beast but I heard it's not so great.
Also after you expand your crystarium the first node will always be large so make sure you have something ready for that node. When you're done there will be extra large nodes at the end so if you slip up a couple times its all good.
I also recommend saving it before you level up your crystarium, so if you make a mistake, exit the game and reload (don't go to Historia Crux because it automatically saves).
#7bronze4v4pro(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 9:09:31 PM
i just leveled noel to straight com and sarah to straight rav. They are like level 52 now for com and rav. I just beat the jungle area where I met snow.
#8Rlaur2Posted 1/20/2013 12:51:37 PM
The bonuses you choose at the end of each stage don't really matter, as you'll get them all eventually.

Are the role bonuses retroactive? SYN II comes up for Noel but I already have it at 99 so I haven't bothered.
---
-_-
#9YusunnephoPosted 1/21/2013 8:17:15 AM
rlaur2 posted...
Are the role bonuses retroactive? SYN II comes up for Noel but I already have it at 99 so I haven't bothered.

From my experience, the role bonuses don't have anything to do with crystarium bonuses. They work the same way as in XIII, where being in a particular role increases some particular ability.

Like, say, you used Lightning's Army of One in Ravager, and then paradigm shifted to Commando during it. The damage she deals per hit increases, but the chain boost decreases. The role bonus boosts simply increase this effect, afaik.
#10SubTonic14Posted 1/21/2013 10:49:06 PM(edited)
As simple as I can possibly put it:

You're leveling your roles, and the nodes determine the stat bonuses you receive depending on the role you leveled. That's it. No nodes contain secret, missable abilities. Down in the corner, the game tells you at what level you'll gain the next skill for each specific role. All the nodes do is provide bonuses to stats based on which role you level up. Big nodes give bigger bonuses.

It's really that simple. Don't even worry about the shape of the crystarium or anything like that; all you have to do is decide which stat bonuses and skills you want, and with skills, you don't even have to worry about the nodes. Just look down and see what level you need for skills in each role.

Unless you're shooting for max stats, the only thing you have to worry about is that no matter how you decide to level up, the CP cost will keep increasing. If you keep leveling up Sen, then your other roles WILL fall behind, skill-wise. However, you'll always get good stat boosts, even for the roles you neglected (As in, the stat boosts from nodes scale depending on how "deep" you are into the crystarium).

Edit: Man, two weeks late to this topic. I keep forgetting how slow this board moves.