Has any Final Fantasy after X had a story with depth?

#1ChocoboLeonhartPosted 1/14/2013 1:02:41 PM
To me a good story is one that is fleshed out and one where you don't have too much gameplay in-between parts of the story, like cutscenes. I don't want to play for hours to get the next part of the story. I want character development and lots of it but it never seems to be done as thoroughly since X and I end up not caring about what happens next or what happens to the characters.

I don't care about the battle system, only the story.

I always played Final Fantasy for the story first and gameplay second and so for me the last great Final Fantasy was X. Since then I have been very disappointed and my once favourite series has finally reached a stage where I don't look forward to the next game coming out.
#2Akira502002Posted 1/14/2013 9:09:08 PM
Idk about depth by your definition but XII had an awesome story IMO not perfect though. Only half the characters really matter.
#3BardWannabePosted 1/14/2013 11:56:36 PM
Sounds like FFXIII fits your definition for a good story (and it is a good story).
#4jenovaschilldPosted 1/15/2013 2:56:07 AM
I am sorry to the above posters but
1. FF12 did not have a good story, or even a coherent story. Alot of plot points that went no where with some shallow characters that like you said - most in the universe or story really had no meaning. The game was still very amazing at the time both artistically, graphically, and the battle system was enjoyable but a departure from traditional rpgs which was both good and bad. And even to this day I can not remember the antagonist or why they were fighting in the first place, a good story needs a villain first.

2. FF13 Does have a very beautiful story - that is a mess all over the place. Besides other game play related issues - the driving force of the story had to be put upon the main characters by the very adventure itself which would have been fine if there was a better explanation of story plot besides world coming to end - most of the main characters out of the loop as to why and how. Still though some refinement adn ff13 could have been the best story in gaming history. Lack of a villain motives besides power and or keeping it- they should have had more there. Also the set pieces and areas and backtracking and and and and just drew the gamer farther away from the story. Not saying it should have been shorter but more tighter towards the story and characters.
---
:)
#5kilaudePosted 1/15/2013 5:01:09 AM
Akira502002 posted...
Idk about depth by your definition but XII had an awesome story IMO not perfect though. Only half the characters really matter.

I have to disagree. The game for me was ok/good. The story wasn't really exactly innovative nor interesting, and the only character that I liked was Balthier.
#6LienhartPosted 1/16/2013 7:09:39 PM
No. Playing IX right now... alot better than XIII.

I think the reason why VIII, IX, and X seem to be better than XIII is because you develop attachment to the characters. I kinda liked Serah in XIII-2 but Lightning I still see as a ***** with sand up her vah jay jay-_-

Oh, and the 3 I mentioned had love stories. I believe VII did as well but I can't go near that game thanks to the fanboys ruining it for me (just like Halo).
#7RagnoraokPosted 1/16/2013 7:21:16 PM
jenovaschilld posted...
I am sorry to the above posters but
1. FF12 did not have a good story, or even a coherent story. Alot of plot points that went no where with some shallow characters that like you said - most in the universe or story really had no meaning. The game was still very amazing at the time both artistically, graphically, and the battle system was enjoyable but a departure from traditional rpgs which was both good and bad. And even to this day I can not remember the antagonist or why they were fighting in the first place, a good story needs a villain first.

2. FF13 Does have a very beautiful story - that is a mess all over the place. Besides other game play related issues - the driving force of the story had to be put upon the main characters by the very adventure itself which would have been fine if there was a better explanation of story plot besides world coming to end - most of the main characters out of the loop as to why and how. Still though some refinement adn ff13 could have been the best story in gaming history. Lack of a villain motives besides power and or keeping it- they should have had more there. Also the set pieces and areas and backtracking and and and and just drew the gamer farther away from the story. Not saying it should have been shorter but more tighter towards the story and characters.

2. FF 13's story was really good. I dont get what you meant about the villain's motives in FF13. It was a departure from the generic power. He wanted to kill everyone so that the one true God could return to fix everything. Also, why is it a bad thing for most of the characters to be out of the loop? That s part of the adventure and allure; meaning that, 6 characters, with wildly different temperaments, are forced to join together in order to defy a fate that they do not even know about. Their interactions and developments were among the best I have ever exp in a video game, easily surpassing FF X. I do agree that the backtracking and linearity hurt the game. Still, it was much better than 13-2 which had virtually no character development and personality for Noel and Serah. Also, it really made no sense for the writers to neglect implementing Fal Cie into the story, since it is literally the ONLY unique thing in FF 13.
---
Here at gamefaqs, you are either a troll, noob, or fanboy.....choose wisely.
#8RagnoraokPosted 1/16/2013 7:34:12 PM(edited)
Lienhart posted...
No. Playing IX right now... alot better than XIII.

I think the reason why VIII, IX, and X seem to be better than XIII is because you develop attachment to the characters. I kinda liked Serah in XIII-2 but Lightning I still see as a ***** with sand up her vah jay jay-_-

Oh, and the 3 I mentioned had love stories. I believe VII did as well but I can't go near that game thanks to the fanboys ruining it for me (just like Halo).

The issue is that the other FF games focused heavily on the main protagonist like Tidus and Squall. However, FF 13 chose to provide character development all around evenly for all of the characters. That makes for a much richer and engaging story, but for what ever reason, thy keep trying to make Lightning the main protagonist and face of it, even though her entire character is boring an uninteresting by herself. his particular game was NOT meant to focus on only 1 person, but because simple minded gamers need a single protagonist to follow, they chose her. Seriously, I felt like pressing mute every-time I heard her talk. Her "holier than thou" persona and monotone voice annoyed the crap out of me every time she gave a convoluted soliloquy. I cannot imagine playing the new game listening to her give tough lectures that drag on and on and on and on and on....

I wish that FF13-2 made Hope the protagonist, and that he met a girl to travel with, thus fulfilling the love requirement all FF games need. Noel and Serah was a horrible idea since Serah already is engaged, and both of them are so good that they would never break that boundary. The entire game felt off and weird because of this.
---
#9SkrallRampagerPosted 1/16/2013 7:40:32 PM
Uhhh.... FFXII had a pretty deep story.

Problem is it was told horribly. The pacing was AWFUL.
---
Wii Code: 1735-0238-9281-5861
Console Nickname: Ralph444
#10RagnoraokPosted 1/16/2013 7:54:00 PM
SkrallRampager posted...
Uhhh.... FFXII had a pretty deep story.

Problem is it was told horribly. The pacing was AWFUL.

how was the pacing awful?
---