Is this just like XIII?

#1Chainsaw128Posted 1/16/2013 12:02:33 AM
I know x-2 was different and had jobs, so I'm hoping that his is different than xiii. I hated xiii. I hated that there was no real world that I felt a part of. You couldn't travel where you wanted to and they waited until the end of the game to allow sidequests. That being said, I really want to play a new JRPG. I like the world map and towns and shops and whatnot. I really like the immersion and exploration aspects. Anyway, this hasn't even shown up on my radar because I didn't like the last one, but now that lightning returns is coming out, I'm giving this a second look. But if it's the same thing I as the last one, I'll pass. Thanks for the help in advance.
---
PSN: AlphaSigChainsaw | GT: Chainsaw 128 | Wii: 8116 5947 4919 8181
#2tiornysPosted 1/16/2013 1:31:24 AM
XIII-2 is going to be closer to what you're looking for than XIII was. However, you might want to investigate Ni No Kuni (if you haven't already). From what we've seen, I think it would be a better match for you.

t~
#3ExternicaPosted 1/16/2013 1:39:40 AM
The combat is similar, but that's it.

You are now allowed to explore the areas. Though in some timelines certains areas are cut off for you to explore, while in others you can walk around to your hearts content.
There are also sidequests from the very start and you can leave the current area to travel to older areas or go off the path and visit some optional places.

Towns... well, there's Neo Bodhum and Akademia. And Chocolina replaces the Online Shops from XIII. Her items also don't cost as much and enemies are dropping Gil again.

And there are only two party members, the third members are monsters you catch in battle. Recruited monsters are like random drops. You kill it and chances are it turns into a crystal.
#4Drake_GodPosted 1/16/2013 3:43:09 AM
This game isn't too much like XIII, and is much better.
I'd recommend it, but although it's different from 13, it isn't what you specified you're looking for.

Addressing the things you mentioned:

-: No real world as you just travel from area to area with a "menu". (Ever played Kingdom Hearts? Like that. Think X-2 also worked like that, but haven't played it in ages)

+-: There is more freedom per area to travel, but each area is still quite small.

+: Sidequests throughout the game

-: No world map in the psx sence or the ps2 sence.

-: There's only 1 shop in the game, and it moves around as you do, but slightly different stock in different areas.

-: No real towns. There is a city with a few quizgames and a seek-and-quiz miniquest, but that's it for that. Furthermore there are small encampment-like areas where you wont encounter monsters (like new bodhum)

-: Immersion and exploration about on the same level as XIII

But still, this game is overall better than XIII. Just don't compare it to what you might see as "real" final fantasies and you'll be fine. :)
#5RagnoraokPosted 1/16/2013 1:06:13 PM
the combat makes the game way easier, exploration is expanded, and the story is a horrible cluster of nonsense. There is a reason why it deprecated in value from $60 to less than $20 in a year's span.
---
Here at gamefaqs, you are either a troll, noob, or fanboy.....choose wisely.
#6Aposter26Posted 1/16/2013 6:40:25 PM
Ragnoraok posted...
the combat makes the game way easier, exploration is expanded, and the story is a horrible cluster of nonsense. There is a reason why it deprecated in value from $60 to less than $20 in a year's span.

I agree, the story is abysmal. I actually didn't mind 13 because the story kept me somewhat entertained, as long as I didn't keep reminding myself it was a Final Fantasy game, it was fine. 13-2 was just too easy for me. Sure there is more exploring and the monster system keeps it interesting for awhile, but I just couldn't finish this. The story and the ridiculously easy combat just made it not worthwhile in my opinion. I'm sure others loved it and I have been thinking about giving it another chance.
#7Lelouch71Posted 1/16/2013 9:36:36 PM
This is more to your liking. I had the same problem with the previous game as well except I did enjoy the story but that's about it. I feel the game is very underrated. I enjoy the story better in this game along with the gameplay. Noel is easily the best FFXIII character IMO and one of my favorite FF characters. Serah is better in this game. I can take her or leave her. Then again I didn't really care THAT much for the original cast.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#8Dref151Posted 1/17/2013 7:22:19 PM
I always thought XIII was better. The story wasn't amazing, but at least the main character wasn't clueless. Played Star Ocean 4? long, 8th grade level comprehension speech and edge almost always was like " i dont understand", or "what?". I feel like serah is closure to that then she needs to be
#9Chainsaw128(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 9:45:04 PM
Thanks for all of the responses guys! For $20 I'll check it out and I have heard about the Ni No new whatever game, so Ill have to take a look at that as well. And yes, Star Ocean 4 was pretty decent on the mechanics, but the storyline and characters were ok at best. And the little girl kept saying Edgy, that was annoying.
---
PSN: AlphaSigChainsaw | GT: Chainsaw 128 | Wii: 8116 5947 4919 8181