The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Because of you people's complaints on the previous game about linearity, this

#1davf135Posted 1/18/2013 9:46:35 PM
game was made into a mess.

It's annoying doing story things that take you all over the place (talking about the core hunt obviously) and other things that also you have to go around to hunt, from one time to the next.
---
Nothing hurts more than nothing at all.
#2GenocideHeartPosted 1/19/2013 11:18:52 AM
Fetchquests have always been like this. Play moar old games. Especially Chrono Trigger.
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius
#3davf135(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 11:37:08 AM
Fetchquests have always been like this. Play moar old games. Especially Chrono Trigger.

I did. I still hated that part of it.
---
#4GenocideHeartPosted 1/19/2013 11:53:24 AM
davf135 posted...

If you hate fetchquests, you're playing the wrong genre. All RPGs, even the Western ones, are infested with them. Heck, look at Skyrim - half of that game is 'go to location x, slaughter the target/steal the item/do some miscellaneous mayhem, report back for reward', which looks fun until you realize you can't fast travel to undiscovered locations, so if the place you must go to happens to be on the other side of the country and you haven't visited it prior, you're boned.

I recommend you play Devil May Cry instead. With how linear everything in it is, it's probably more up your alley.
---
#5davf135(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 2:48:42 PM
davf135 posted...

If you hate fetchquests, you're playing the wrong genre. All RPGs, even the Western ones, are infested with them. Heck, look at Skyrim - half of that game is 'go to location x, slaughter the target/steal the item/do some miscellaneous mayhem, report back for reward', which looks fun until you realize you can't fast travel to undiscovered locations, so if the place you must go to happens to be on the other side of the country and you haven't visited it prior, you're boned.

I recommend you play Devil May Cry instead. With how linear everything in it is, it's probably more up your alley.

Very very false that all RPGs are the same.
---
#6GenocideHeartPosted 1/19/2013 6:59:04 PM
The vast majority of RPGs do have fetchquests that force you to backtrack, often a whole lot. This game isn't even the worst offender - you probably shouldn't be playing, for example, SaGa Frontier or any Atelier games, especially since the Atelier games are primarily alchemy games, and the combat part exists solely so you can go collect stuff to make bigger and better items.

There's also Baldur's Gate, the game infamous for having people so lazy they refuse to walk 10 meters down the road to buy a damn potion.

Oh, and getting the Staff of Rain in the original Dragon Quest. That was a horrible one, makes everything in this game look easy...

Heck, I'll just link the TvTropes page here. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FetchQuest

Please note how the RPG section is by far the largest and is still incomplete. Those are just the bigger offenders when it comes to spamming fetchquests.
---
#7midsizelebowskiPosted 1/19/2013 8:31:17 PM
Totally agree with you TC. I liked the experiment they tried in XIII. They were trying to blend the experience of a movie and a game by immersing the player in story progression for the majority of the game, without the distractions of sidequests, or towns with NPCs that are nothing more than space fillers. If XIII's dialogue hadn't been so embarrassingly bad, I think it might have been better received.

Funny that everyone loves to rag on JRPGs for being stale and unimaginative, then Square introduces some great innovative ideas in XII and XIII (yes I'm arguing that linear story immersion in a cinematic package was a form of innovation), and those same people lose their minds.

I think because open world games and WRPGs have gotten much more popular recently, people forget that the vast majority of JRPGs during the 90s and early 2000s were just as linear as XIII, and nobody every complained.
#8davf135(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 11:54:10 PM
The vast majority of RPGs do have fetchquests that force you to backtrack, often a whole lot. This game isn't even the worst offender - you probably shouldn't be playing, for example, SaGa Frontier or any Atelier games, especially since the Atelier games are primarily alchemy games, and the combat part exists solely so you can go collect stuff to make bigger and better items.

There's also Baldur's Gate, the game infamous for having people so lazy they refuse to walk 10 meters down the road to buy a damn potion.

Oh, and getting the Staff of Rain in the original Dragon Quest. That was a horrible one, makes everything in this game look easy...

Heck, I'll just link the TvTropes page here. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FetchQuest

Please note how the RPG section is by far the largest and is still incomplete. Those are just the bigger offenders when it comes to spamming fetchquests.

I've played many RPGs and never felt like this. The problems is not backtracking. If it were "go back to place X, and bring me item Y" then itd be fine. Here it is "go to place x and y and z and d and f and g... and bring me items 1, 2,3..." I've never felt like this in any other FF I've played (all except 1,2,3, and 11), nor Star Ocean games or Pokemon or other RPGs I've played and forgotten.
---
#9bybyrPosted 1/20/2013 2:17:57 AM
I think they were inspired by mass effect series and chrono trigger
#10GenocideHeartPosted 1/20/2013 7:45:38 AM
Star Ocean has no backtracking? Maybe if you ignore the majority of subquests... for instance, recruiting Perise was counterintuitive and required strict timing and having to backtrack nearly across half the continent *twice*, and recruiting the new characters in the remake is also not intuitive at all and requires massive wandering all over the place (in no small part because you NEED Ashlay for one of them). And the less said of Star Ocean 3 the better. Oh God, the quests to get better synthesis partners... especially Misty Lear, who forces you to slog twice through one of the most monster-infested and convoluted places in the game.

Star Ocean 2 also had a bunch of fetchquests in Energy Nede, as well as the whole Ashton sidequest with the little girl which requires you to go all over Expel, including the western mountains. And heck, the whole Energy Nede part is basically one giant fetchquest, because without the required items you can't even HURT the goddamn bosses.

And Pokemon is a breeding game first and a RPG second, and the Colosseum games do force backtracking.
---