Because of you people's complaints on the previous game about linearity, this

#11GenocideHeartPosted 1/20/2013 8:50:25 AM
midsizelebowski posted...

I think because open world games and WRPGs have gotten much more popular recently, people forget that the vast majority of JRPGs during the 90s and early 2000s were just as linear as XIII, and nobody every complained.

That's a total lie. RPGs in that time were only 'linear' in that the PLOT was linear, but they still offered you stuff to do in new lcations besides following the plot, and at times even let you sequence-break (7th Saga is an egregious case, as you could skip a fifth of the game if you were playing as Olvan by going through the Dwarf tower, but Chrono Trigger, FF5 and 6 and Seiken Densetsu 3 are also notable examples).

Compare with FFXIII, where all you COULD do was push on in almost literally a straight line, with uninspired dungeon design and no interaction with townies at all. How can you PLAY A ROLE if there's no role interaction with NPCs? Even pen and paper RPGs make that a huge part of gameplay. Pretty much no such interaction existed in FFXIII - even shops were completely anonymous. It was just an action game masquerading as a RPG. It felt like playing Dynasty Warriors.
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius
#12Parasite1101Posted 1/21/2013 3:52:04 AM
I dont remember complaining about the linearity, i just remember complaining that you was constantly pressing forward in enemy infested areas. No chance to relax or explore. Final Fantasy 10 was linear and it had a nice blend of pressing forward and relaxation.

Though i do admit, a proper world map would have been good aswell.
#13GenocideHeartPosted 1/21/2013 5:12:29 AM
I like XIII-2 better than XIII, to be honest. Although that's like saying I like pox better than Ebola... but never mind. I'll admit I'm enjoying collecting monsters, but the battle system irritates me.

The story, though, makes quite a bit of sense considering it's a timetravel mess.
---
#14MoonlightJustPosted 1/21/2013 2:21:01 PM
midsizelebowski posted...
Totally agree with you TC. I liked the experiment they tried in XIII. They were trying to blend the experience of a movie and a game by immersing the player in story progression for the majority of the game, without the distractions of sidequests, or towns with NPCs that are nothing more than space fillers. If XIII's dialogue hadn't been so embarrassingly bad, I think it might have been better received.

Funny that everyone loves to rag on JRPGs for being stale and unimaginative, then Square introduces some great innovative ideas in XII and XIII (yes I'm arguing that linear story immersion in a cinematic package was a form of innovation), and those same people lose their minds.

I think because open world games and WRPGs have gotten much more popular recently, people forget that the vast majority of JRPGs during the 90s and early 2000s were just as linear as XIII, and nobody every complained.

Oh man, you're so full of it. You've just single handedly proven that you have !@$# near zero idea what you are talking about. There is a massive difference in "Forced down a straight hallway" and at least having the illusion of freedom. XIII's gameplay was straight line, start to finish. Even including the strictly mediocre Pulse area was a whole lot of uninhabited dead zone with some repeatable quests that left you feeling empty inside. The only other RPG I can remember from that era being THAT linear...scratch that. Nothing comes to mind. The most you can say was a lack of world map exploration back then, but even those RPG's had a lot more dungeon and town exploration going on.

As for this thread...THIS is the reason we don't have nice things anymore. People like this !@#$% and moan about having any sort of freedom and WANT to be railroaded down a straight path because its more 'cinematic'. Whatever people. Go play a different genre and stop screwing mine up.
#15SubTonic14Posted 1/21/2013 10:28:09 PM(edited)
TIL the RPG genre belongs to MoonlightJust.

I'm not even going to pick a side here, because everyone should have realized it by now: Square and every other big-name, Triple-A-churning game company is going to do whatever the hell it wants based on what will bring them the most profit. Blame them instead of some random guy on GameFAQs. That's just pathetic, man. Pathetic.
#16GenocideHeartPosted 1/22/2013 3:00:05 AM
SubTonic14 posted...
TIL the RPG genre belongs to MoonlightJust.

I'm not even going to pick a side here, because everyone should have realized it by now: Square and every other big-name, Triple-A-churning game company is going to do whatever the hell it wants based on what will bring them the most profit. Blame them instead of some random guy on GameFAQs. That's just pathetic, man. Pathetic.

People who think the way this random guy on GameFAQs does are the guys who actually throw money at the aforementioned game companies, thus making them act more and more like this. So in the end, blaming the consumer is the right thing, because if they didn't give a profit to said software houses to begin with, none of this would be an issue.
---
#17SubTonic14Posted 1/22/2013 9:25:50 AM(edited)
And yet...most of the people who complain about XIII are among those who bought it, so no matter what side of the fence they're on regarding the matter, they're just as much to blame for "contributing."

There are also tons of people hyping up Versus like it's going to be the savior of the series. Y'know, exactly what they said about XIII. Honestly, the fanbase for this series is made up of hypocritical morons of the worst variety. What they need to do is learn to lower their expectations and vote with their wallets, rather than buy on impulse and *then* go on a rant. Of course, people would have to stop buying the games on a large scale for Square to see no more profit potential with their chosen style.

When it comes down to it, you still choose to blame the consumer rather than the people making the games? Oh, right, because your peers are easier to moan and groan at; sending an angry email to Square would be met with a blind eye and no satisfaction on your part.

Once again: Pathetic. If this series is so far gone to some of you, then leave the boards, never buy another game from Square again, and move on with your lives. You accomplish absolutely nothing by throwing tantrums in an internet forum, especially a half-dead one.
#18GenocideHeartPosted 1/22/2013 12:25:40 PM
SubTonic14 posted...
And yet...most of the people who complain about XIII are among those who bought it, so no matter what side of the fence they're on regarding the matter, they're just as much to blame for "contributing."

There are also tons of people hyping up Versus like it's going to be the savior of the series. Y'know, exactly what they said about XIII. Honestly, the fanbase for this series is made up of hypocritical morons of the worst variety. What they need to do is learn to lower their expectations and vote with their wallets, rather than buy on impulse and *then* go on a rant. Of course, people would have to stop buying the games on a large scale for Square to see no more profit potential with their chosen style.

When it comes down to it, you still choose to blame the consumer rather than the people making the games? Oh, right, because your peers are easier to moan and groan at; sending an angry email to Square would be met with a blind eye and no satisfaction on your part.

Once again: Pathetic. If this series is so far gone to some of you, then leave the boards, never buy another game from Square again, and move on with your lives. You accomplish absolutely nothing by throwing tantrums in an internet forum, especially a half-dead one.

In my case it was a christmas gift, so I have zero guilt about it. *I* wouldn't have bought it, and I can't help it if some misguided parent got it for me, you know?

Just saying, because you seem to think everyone who has this game willingly acquired it. There IS such a thing as gifts.
---
#19SubTonic14Posted 1/22/2013 12:43:56 PM
You completely ignored the word "most"..and it was in my post's opening statement. It seems like you're just wanting to argue for the sake of arguing, and on top of that, you won't even provide any sort of decent counter-argument. If you've got nothing worth saying, then don't post. Just don't.
#20GenocideHeartPosted 1/22/2013 1:04:26 PM
SubTonic14 posted...
You completely ignored the word "most"..and it was in my post's opening statement. It seems like you're just wanting to argue for the sake of arguing, and on top of that, you won't even provide any sort of decent counter-argument. If you've got nothing worth saying, then don't post. Just don't.

Let me make something very clear. The videogame world, like ANY other business, works on supply and demand. Game companies put crap like this in games because IT SELLS.

So long as players don't wise up and start talking with their wallets, game companies will keep doing this because IT SELLS. It's PLAYERS who make it so that games are done a certain way. It's why every iteration of Call of Grenade: Noobtube Warfare sells a gajillion copies. Because said noobs buy it in droves, and Activision sees this, reasons this is what players want, and gives them more.

In short, it's the players' fault. You want games to be made a certain way? Then start by NOT buying questionable games. If you're brainless sheep, you have no one but yourselves to blame - game companies aren't in this out of the goodness of their hearts, they're in this to turn a profit, and since it's sales numbers that define said profits, whoever contributes to said sale is the guilty party. The game companies just look at sales and draw their own conclusions.

Why should I blame, for instance, Activision for making clones of every Call of Duty? The casual crowd eats that crap up with glee. It'd be incredibly dumb of them to ignore such a huge source of income. Blaming them for wanting to turn a profit and knowing how to read the fans' mood is idiotic and is ultimately just an attempt to shift the blame on the makers instead of the fellow gamers, who are the ones whose money talks.

tl; dr: The customer isn't always right. Deal with it.
---