Because of you people's complaints on the previous game about linearity, this

#21GenocideHeartPosted 1/22/2013 12:35:31 PM
With that said, Square isn't blameless. They did mess up on the first XIII game. FFXIII gathered a massive amount of heat for having very little to do with roleplaying and being linear as all hell and too action-y - an experiment that was already tried with Dirge of Cerberus, and I don't need to tell you how badly THAT game bombed, do I?

But all things said, I think Square is much less to blame for this debacle than the mindless masses are. They actually both looked at sales and listened to fans to an extent - and most fans wanted less linearity and more open world, in the vein of old games. So Square did that. The problem, of course, is that the battle system is still ass, but the world itself is a lot more tolerable than before, and I honestly have a hard time seeing why people complain about the direction XIII-2 has taken. Sure there's fetchquests, and again, I've seen worse. Stop complaining so much, people. It's this kind of mixed signals that makes developers mess up. Even video game magazines had to point out how linear FFXIII was, and Square actually did try and fix it.
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius
#22jenovaschilldPosted 1/22/2013 5:22:25 PM
There is nothing wrong with linearity or a rpg that is more western with open end options. There is nothing wrong with a rpg so linear it is like moving down a railroad track. There is nothing wrong with an open end world like skyrim.
IT IS ALL ABOUT THE STORY. The characters, the villian, the world where they exist, and the journey that a good rpg takes you on.
As long as you get the story down everything else will be judged on how well it took you along for the ride.
---
:)
#23GenocideHeartPosted 1/22/2013 5:36:53 PM
If I want a story, I read a book or watch a movie. When I play a game I expect a GAME. I don't pay 60 bucks for watching most of the game.
---
#24MoonlightJustPosted 1/22/2013 11:38:24 PM
GenocideHeart posted...
If I want a story, I read a book or watch a movie. When I play a game I expect a GAME. I don't pay 60 bucks for watching most of the game.

It's an RPG. If you don't want story then you are in the wrong genre.
#25GenocideHeartPosted 1/23/2013 3:27:02 AM
MoonlightJust posted...
GenocideHeart posted...

I expect to PLAY A ROLE in the story with a RPG, not just WATCH A STORY. Again, if all I want is to watch the story unfold, then there's a genre just for that - it's called Visual Novel. Like Virtue's Last Reward, 999, Corpse Party, Tsukihime...
---
#26davf135(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 7:38:42 AM
MoonlightJust posted...
GenocideHeart posted...

I expect to PLAY A ROLE in the story with a RPG, not just WATCH A STORY. Again, if all I want is to watch the story unfold, then there's a genre just for that - it's called Visual Novel. Like Virtue's Last Reward, 999, Corpse Party, Tsukihime...

Then that is your problem, wanting to feel part of it in your "ROLE".
---
Nothing hurts more than nothing at all.
#27GenocideHeartPosted 1/27/2013 7:41:00 AM
davf135 posted...
MoonlightJust posted...
GenocideHeart posted...

Excuse me for expecting to play a role in a ROLE PLAYING GAME. I suppose I also shouldn't expect to jump from platform to platform in a PLATFORM GAME, or punch people in the face in a BOXING GAME? You know, while we're at missing the point of game genres?
---
#28davf135(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 9:56:19 PM
davf135 posted...
MoonlightJust posted...
GenocideHeart posted...

Excuse me for expecting to play a role in a ROLE PLAYING GAME. I suppose I also shouldn't expect to jump from platform to platform in a PLATFORM GAME, or punch people in the face in a BOXING GAME? You know, while we're at missing the point of game genres?

Well, I don't think RPGs have an appropriate title. You should expect to see how their story unfolds and not expect to be part of it. The only story you are part of is your own life.
---
Nothing hurts more than nothing at all.
#29godslayer61Posted 1/28/2013 1:42:57 AM
you guys are sad,listen to you or read what you are saying. sounds like u should be playing action/adventure not a rpg.every one knows rpg means a story pushed game so go to your cod and mind jacks and leave the rpgs to people who know what rpgs truly are.
---
psn-kish1975 ----------xbox live-godslayer1975------------------wii u-kish1975------3ds-077730466718
#30John325Posted 1/28/2013 2:09:41 AM
The quality of FFXIII-2 has nothing to do with giving in to complaints. FFXIII was already a mess. Good side quests and exploration add a great of enjoyment just like good story can add a great deal of enjoyment. These games fail on both fronts. This game having terrible exploration and questing doesn't mean it's a bad idea.
---
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=john325
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/Ghostjohn325.jpg