What game to get?

#1dennia_girlPosted 1/23/2013 6:56:59 PM
I expect biased opinions here, but this board is much more active than the other Final Fantasy boards so w/e I guess.

Anyways, I played FFXIII and it was a good game. I have no hate for any FF game which is why making a decision to buy which game out of the Final Fantasy series is hard. My budget is only $35. There's no real special reason for it, but its just the way it is.

I'm pretty indecisive but basically should I get FFXII: International. I plan on buying a used version and I do have the swap magic to play the game and I'm pretty sure I can make the game into English.

Or get FFXIII-2 which is really cheap nowadays. Probably going to buy it used as well. I've just seen gameplays and the demo seemed fine to me.

Or FF Type-0. I can't read Japanese, but I have a feel for the language. I heard the game is really good and its handheld so its much more easier to play whenever.

All these games are appealing to me even if I don't seem to sound like it.

I just want one of these games and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I wish I could buy them all, but yeah.
#2dennia_girl(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 8:18:21 PM
Bumpz
#3SunburstPosted 1/23/2013 8:26:15 PM
I preferred the original version of XII over the international version. IIRC, the only extras for XII International was the restricted job system, a few hard to get new weapons without cheating, and the challenge mode. So, I'm going to say XIII-2. I loved XIII-2. Most fun I had on PS3 since XIII.
---
There can be only one.
#4dennia_girl(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 10:17:16 PM
More opinions please :)
#5LewdDolphin21Posted 1/23/2013 10:30:52 PM
I really want to play XII: International.

TC, have you played XII before? If not, go with that. If you have, then go with XIII-2; it plays a lot like XIII except gives you a bunch of freedoms that you might like (or might not, I dunno).
---
Divisibility by four? Ha! I mean, even perfect squares are divisible by four!
Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIII, Resident Evil 6, Chrono Cross.
#6dennia_girl(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 10:38:35 PM
LewdDolphin21 posted...
I really want to play XII: International.

TC, have you played XII before? If not, go with that. If you have, then go with XIII-2; it plays a lot like XIII except gives you a bunch of freedoms that you might like (or might not, I dunno).

Yeah I've played the original XII. Do you have any input about Type-0? Or does anyone else?

I think its now between XIII-2 or Type-0.
#7LewdDolphin21Posted 1/23/2013 10:53:36 PM
I don't know anything about it.
---
Divisibility by four? Ha! I mean, even perfect squares are divisible by four!
Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIII, Resident Evil 6, Chrono Cross.
#8dennia_girl(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 11:24:57 AM
More opinions please :D
#9kilaudePosted 1/24/2013 1:10:29 PM(edited)
Well I played both FFXII International (in english), and am currently almost finished with the post-content of FFXIII-2 so I can only speak about those in particular:

First of all, I'm one of the more "purist" ff fans if you know what I mean, so I wasn't particular excited about the changes made (battle system and whatnot) to 12, though it eventually grew on me. The story and the characters themselves are quite shallow (imo) and only Balthier is interesting. Even the world was just... I dunno.. too "greyish" and uninteresting to me, the cities included.

FFXIII-2 on the other hand is an interesting game. I still don't "love it", but I do really think it is one of those that catches your attention and rarely let's go. This is mostly because of the well told narrative (though it has a convoluted story), Caius as a villain is well done, and catching fragments as a sidequest to unlock the secret ending is quite addictive.

In conclusion I would go with FFXIII-2.
#10MoonlightJustPosted 1/24/2013 10:24:46 PM
How much did you enjoy XIII? Did you enjoy it for the story, or for the gameplay? If you enjoyed XIII for the story, go after something else. While you may like it, a number of people do, for the most part its a convuluted mess. If you liked XIII for the gameplay then XIII-2 will be right up your ally, UNLESS you don't like capturing and using monsters. That's a big one.

I have heard mostly good things about Type-0, and there are still a large number of people crying for it to be released outside of Japan. If you've played XII then I don't know that the international version is going to add enough to warrant a second go through. BUT if you really enjoyed it then you can probably go right ahead without to many regrets.