Think I may be the only person who really liked the ending... SPOILERS of course

#1CollectorReturnPosted 1/28/2013 4:42:48 PM
I'm one of the older FF fans, first got introduced to the series when I was about 8 years old, when we got FF 7 in the UK. We didn't have JRPGs over here back then so the gameplay and much of the story was a bit too complicated for me so I never played it myself.

My mum played through it all and loved it, me and my sister would just sit and watch, taking in the narrative and enjoying the story, fond memories of it and it's still my fav'.

However, I love the XIII series, is probably my second favourite one, I also really liked Snow as a character and I enjoyed the ending to XIII-2.

I thought it was pretty refreshing tbh, I mean nobody saw that coming when this game came out and how cool is Caius? Is you look at it realistically and try not to just favour your persoanl top villains in the series Caius is def' one of the best.

I mean... he won! At least this is where we stand until Lightning makes her return he actually won, he orchestrated pretty much every step you take in the game all leading up to the final conclusion of the world essentially coming to an end.

Gaming today is all about endless continues and the hero always wins at the end, here you actually lose and it made for a pretty emotive ending.
#2sicko26usPosted 1/28/2013 4:58:39 PM
CollectorReturn posted...

However, I love the XIII series, is probably my second favourite one, I also really liked Snow as a character and I enjoyed the ending to XIII-2.

I mean... he won! At least this is where we stand until Lightning makes her return he actually won, he orchestrated pretty much every step you take in the game all leading up to the final conclusion of the world essentially coming to an end.

Gaming today is all about endless continues and the hero always wins at the end, here you actually lose and it made for a pretty emotive ending.

A couple things.

1) How was Snow one of your favorite characters? His entire storyline (in 13-2) was a "behind the scenes" mess.

2) You do realize that they intended to sell us a DLC ending right? So that was never intended to be an end, hence the "to be continued"

3) Since you liked the story you understand everything right? Explain why Light crystalized herself? Explain why your favorite character (Snow) decided to let his fiancée go off on a suicide mission while he decided to hang out in the arena?

The story (and ending) are garbage, the gameplay and "fun" factor is leagues above 13 but the story is actually worse, and I did not even think that was possible.
---
Motomu Toriyama is the worst writer in the history of video games, if you agree add this quote.
#3CollectorReturn(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 5:17:01 PM
Regards to Snow I just meant he was my fav' characters from the 13 series including the original game, I like his character design and think at the end of the day yeah he has a big mouth but he also has the strength to back it up, he's also incredibly loyal to his friends.

He's defined by his love for Serah, everything he did in the first game was for Serah and he wants to help her find Lightning to make her happy.

Yeah there are DLC endings but the ending of the game as is was different to anything else. Not everyone agrees with DLC and will pay for it. Personally I have no problem with DLC although I think in the case of this game and many, many games these days, developers cheap out with DLC.

Lightning crystalized herself because she had accepted defeat, her purpose was to protect the Goddess and she died so she had nothing else in Valhalla.

Snow hardly just let Serah go on a suicide mission, he wanted to find Light but when he landed in 300 AF he saw the Royal Ripeness eating away at the crystal pillar and felt he needed to save Fang & Vanile as he always does, that's his nature.

He was furious with Noel for even bringing Serah out there, he had no idea Noel would show up and drag her through time.

Also he has no idea Serah has the Eyes of Etro or probably even what that means, so he'd have no idea that she could see the future or every time she did it'd slowly kill her.
#4GenocideHeartPosted 1/28/2013 6:51:21 PM(edited)
Also, Snow explicitly tells you he's STUCK in the Colosseum. He'd like to leave, but can't. Valfodr won't let him.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that Kefka won in FF6, too. Doesn't matter if later you beat him, he accomplished all he wanted to do - become a God and destroy the world. And frankly, I suspect he intentionally let the heroes reach him and kill him. He mentioned he was getting bored just blowing things up, and what else was left to do, if not find out what death was like? Being insane and all... it probably made sense to him.
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius