If you change the future... Don't understand? (ending spoilers?)

#1MisterTelliusPosted 1/28/2013 9:28:50 PM
If you change the future, you change the past.

I had a hard time grasping this in my head while playing the game, which made the ending just a little bit confusing to me in that I don't get why Serah had to die. It also confuses me, how this concept leads to at least one paradox ending (the one in Oerba, in which defeating Caius I believe causes the events of Final Fantasy XIII to never have happened?) You would think that the past is an independent variable of a changed future.

Can someone help me out?
---
Nihilism was never my cup of tea.
#2OrnerySpoonPosted 1/28/2013 9:46:10 PM(edited)
I never really thought the paradox endings even tried to make sense, they're just random things happening because they can.

As for Serah, the idea is that every time a farseer sees the future, it consumes part of her lifeforce. Yeul would see brief glimpses of the future, and even those brief glimpses spent enough of her life that she always died at around 15 years of age. Serah didn't see too many visions throughout her life (I'm not sure if she even had the gift until after XIII or what). However, when Caius "died" and Etro also subsequently died, and they saved the new Cocoon, that changed the future so drastically that the resulting visions sort of "overloaded" Serah, and killed her. It had nothing to do with changing the past, it's simply how the Eyes of Etro work.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the "Changing the future changes the past" thing, though.
---
You can wax my huge spoon.
#3MisterTellius(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 10:02:54 PM
Nah, I get the part about Serah being a Seeress. I just don't understand how exactly doing something in the future changes something in the past.

Also, just saying, the paradox ending "A Giant Mistake" was pretty awesome. Won this game a few cool points
---
Nihilism was never my cup of tea.
#4ExternicaPosted 1/29/2013 12:18:37 AM
One of the fragment logs tries to explain it.

If you open a chest in the future and find a rope, someone in the past had to put it in first.
And that is how you changed the past in the future. Because Action B in the future needs Action A in the past, so that B can happen to begin with.
Bizarre? No. Worse than that. It doesn't make sense.
#5Destroyer_MagePosted 1/29/2013 6:51:36 AM
This is the way I see it:

When you change something in the future that wouldn't have taken place naturally ,it causes the timeline to correct itself in order for the past to coincide with the future. So basically by changing the future, the past will also change in order to make that future possible.

Hope this makes sense :D
---
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret.
#6DXMGPosted 1/29/2013 8:58:12 AM
The past changes because a Yuel (or Serah) sees the change in the future. With knowledge of that future, the past is inherently changed.

My take on it anyway. O_o
---
Medic!
#7Destroyer_MagePosted 1/29/2013 11:25:17 AM
DXMG posted...
The past changes because a Yuel (or Serah) sees the change in the future. With knowledge of that future, the past is inherently changed.

My take on it anyway. O_o

Just because they see the future does not mean that the past is changed. Its only when they act on those visions and try to change the future that the past will change.
---
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret.
#8lightdragoon88Posted 1/29/2013 7:12:07 PM
MisterTellius posted...
Nah, I get the part about Serah being a Seeress. I just don't understand how exactly doing something in the future changes something in the past.

In this game universe: If you do something in the future, the timeline changes so that it would of naturally happen.
---
LIFE IS A BEAUTY HOWL!
#9_giLgamIsh_Posted 1/29/2013 8:16:21 PM
Destroyer_Mage posted...

When you change something in the future that wouldn't have taken place naturally ,it causes the timeline to correct itself in order for the past to coincide with the future. So basically by changing the future, the past will also change in order to make that future possible.

Well said.
---
Yomi is a spamming whxre.
#10xXxHaseoxXxPosted 1/29/2013 10:14:48 PM
Destroyer_Mage posted...

Best explanation for it. Hit it right on the head.
---
PSN:K-quick