In a few years, Square isn't going to be the best JRPG company anymore.

#11megax11Posted 2/2/2013 11:00:44 PM
SE sucks now. It won't take a few years.

The goofballs at SE tries to say towns can't be done in HD, to justify no towns in FFXIII, yet Ni No Kuni has them in droves, and so did Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Tales of Graces F.

FFX and the XIII series wishes it could be the greatest RPG's out there. Great JRPG developers now are Monolith (Xenoblade), Level 5 (Ni No Kuni), and Tales Studio.
---
The ALL THINGS GAMING fanboy. PSWiiU60DSPVita FTW! 1356 games and still growing. XBL: GameMaster1178 PSN: megax28 Wii U: GameMaster1178
#12kokushishinPosted 2/3/2013 1:07:22 AM
Tales Studio has been in the red for several years now and it is basically up to Namco's whims. With shiny new toys like One Piece Musou and Dark Souls, will they even have interest in it once the current batch of games is done?

Atlus' best selling title is actually Demon's Souls.

Level-5's track record without another publisher/backer is still rather limited. Dark Cloud? Sony. Professor Layton? Nintendo. Dragon Quest VIII and IX? I shouldn't have to tell you. Even Ni No Kuni had Studio Ghibli (not to mention it started as a DS game)

Monolith Soft has done well for themselves, but similarly, they haven't had a title do as well as Xenogears.
---
Meet Gabriel Belmont and his Vampire Killer!
#13MoonlightJustPosted 2/3/2013 9:16:31 AM
Lelouch71 posted...
Sigh another thread that overrate Persona. I like Persona (moreso P2) but come on you could at least use megaten franchise. I know this is a troll thread but you nor I can predict the future.

You're such a wonderful troll, Lelouch. I'd be genuinely aggrivated if I wasn't used to this from you by now.

On topic, Square isn't the best JRPG company NOW. That's going to Atlus, or Bamco. That was starting to be shakey at Persona 3 and Tales of the Abyss, and they lost it entirely at Persona 4. XIII just solidified that loss, generating a game that was decidedly NOT JRPG. It was at best an RPG light, and at worst an almost auto-mated exercise in holding the players hand and trying to look cool. A glorified cutscene.

The fans of the new direction are fine. But fans of the old ways have all but given up hope at this point. *Shrugs* Nothing stays the same forever.
#14GenocideHeartPosted 2/3/2013 10:30:51 AM
kokushishin posted...
Tales Studio has been in the red for several years now and it is basically up to Namco's whims. With shiny new toys like One Piece Musou and Dark Souls, will they even have interest in it once the current batch of games is done?

Atlus' best selling title is actually Demon's Souls.

Level-5's track record without another publisher/backer is still rather limited. Dark Cloud? Sony. Professor Layton? Nintendo. Dragon Quest VIII and IX? I shouldn't have to tell you. Even Ni No Kuni had Studio Ghibli (not to mention it started as a DS game)

Monolith Soft has done well for themselves, but similarly, they haven't had a title do as well as Xenogears.

Demon's Souls is made by FROM Software, Atlus just published it. Atlus's best selling title remains SMT: Nocturne, whose combined sales exceed basically every other game they made (as both Nocturne and the EU release Lucifer's Call, as well the sales from the rerelease that replaces Dante with Raidou).
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius
#15Blackmarvel79Posted 2/3/2013 11:43:25 AM
I have only played good JRPGs this gen. None of them are are stellar.
---
Still playing The Mass Effect Trilogy for the forseeable future. I may be addicted.
#16achilleszeroPosted 2/3/2013 12:42:22 PM
megax11 posted...

The goofballs at SE tries to say towns can't be done in HD, to justify no towns in FFXIII, yet Ni No Kuni has them in droves, and so did Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Tales of Graces F..

You just compared games with vastly different levels of details in thier graphics. Several of those are downright cartoonish compared to what SE likes to put out. Just because something is labeled as HD does not mean it is anywhere near XIII's graphics.
#17GenocideHeartPosted 2/3/2013 4:53:02 PM(edited)
achilleszero posted...
megax11 posted...

The goofballs at SE tries to say towns can't be done in HD, to justify no towns in FFXIII, yet Ni No Kuni has them in droves, and so did Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Tales of Graces F..

You just compared games with vastly different levels of details in thier graphics. Several of those are downright cartoonish compared to what SE likes to put out. Just because something is labeled as HD does not mean it is anywhere near XIII's graphics.

Then maybe it's time to stop being obsessed with graphics. Why do you think people still play Tetris after decades? Because it's fun, not because it looks amazing. It doesn't matter how good a game looks if it's completely soulless and only looks pretty outside - like some people are in real life. Prioritize fun and playability first, then worry about details like graphics which are frankly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things when it comes to GAMING.

The fact Square keeps porting its 2D Final Fantasy titles to every platform ever should clue people in to the fact that graphics ultimately don't count as much as fun and enjoyment. So let's all stop acting as if they should make or break a game.

Also, just to specify: cartoonish graphics does NOT mean less detail. Take a closer look at Ni no Kuni and Tales of Graces f and notice the loving amount of detail put in those 'cartoonish' graphics. People will automatically assume non-hyperrealistic graphics means that it obviously has to be inferior... that's not true at all.

In fact, if anyone paid attention at all, several animations in the game are stiff or so quick they hide the fact that they really aren't detailed (such as Noel sheathing his sword and Serah's mog weapon changing shape). It's just that so many people are distracted by the pretty and the shiny they fail to notice.
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius
#18TyphlaxPosted 2/3/2013 5:21:28 PM
they already arent. also there is absolutely no way tales of games are gonna be better than anything.
---
TyphlosionEXplOsIOn
GT: Pyroskank
#19MegidolaonPosted 2/4/2013 8:48:33 AM
TC is delusional.
FF is the only mainstream JRPG series.
Everything is niche outside Japan or niche in Japan and nearly unheard of in the west outside internet message boards and specific circles.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjVvnO5lgM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4qp0wv7cDUA#t=22s
#20LordDaviasPosted 2/4/2013 11:13:05 AM
I've tried to play a lot of Tales games, but to this day, the only one I enjoyed immensely is Tales of Phantasia. The Dejap translation is pretty fun too.

I might be a bit long in the tooth.

I actually enjoyed FFXIII-2, much more than FFXIII. It's just a shame the VAs are unbearable (save Caius, played by the dude who plays Grimoire Weiss in Nier) and there are patchy areas in the dialogue.

The paradox endings did add something to story and it was nice to see a homage to Chrono Trigger in that respect.

Last RPG that I felt was a top-end title was Persona 4 (Resonance of Fate might of been better than its translation which frankly, felt difficult to follow - enjoyed the gameplay). Persona is a pretty average dungeon crawler with an average battle system, but the story is painstakingly put together and they remember the importance of keeping the MC quiet to allow the player to project themselves into the role. Note to all RPG makers. Shut the MC up, please :P