In a few years, Square isn't going to be the best JRPG company anymore.

#21LucilliPosted 2/4/2013 2:24:24 PM
Well, it is all up to preference.

I've played Tales of Symphonia second, didn't finish it, returned a few years later and felt that it was quite barebones compared to the newer tales series. It most likely is nostalgia which keeps people loving it, something I do not harbor for it, nor for the FF series. I played Tales of Phantasia first, but never finished it (GBA version). I feel, however, that ToV, ToG, ToX I and II (especially Xillia I and II - it's like they improved up the fluidity by 300%) were quite entertaining.

Other series such as Ar Tonelico were splendid in their characterization, especially AT2 (haven't played the third yet), Mana Khemia and many Gust works have pretty good equipment and item customization (looking forward to trying the Atelier series).

Persona 4 was amazing, the fusion system truly wonderful, a novel concept that I had never seen before I played it in 2009. The story was a plus, too, and the only thing Persona lacked was a good dungeon design (it was basically just a dungeon crawler filled with generic hallways in that sense).

I am struggling to finish FF XIII; it's not at all difficult, but I feel as if SE made the battles a little too simple for most of the game. I plan to start FF XIII-2 and the rest of the series if I ever finish it.

Most of these may very well be niche games, sure, but it might be due to lack of advertising and thus the lack of awareness of these games that actually keep them from becoming more mainstream. If we consider FF mainstream, it's due to its already-large market presence established due to older generations of FF being big hits. Other series are younger, less known, and less capital is spent on these niche series, including on advertising. There is a low chance that these games will generate as much revenue as an FF title, even if they were to be of equal quality.

The FF series is similar to the CoD series or even WoW when it comes to big titles that attract people especially because they have a great following, despite possible competitors who may outplay them (ex: CoD vs. BF3). The fans still cling and buy each FF game in hopes that the new game will be a redeeming factor for the series, unless they think that the FF game they have currently is already a winner.

Also, TC should expect a great many complaints against him. After all, this is a FF board, is it not? And I should expect complaints against me, too, as I do not harbor love for the FF series (though I did feel that parts of FF XII were nice - I have dabbled in FF1-3, 13, and completed 12 and Tactics).
#22MegidolaonPosted 2/4/2013 2:54:00 PM
I am struggling to finish FF XIII; it's not at all difficult, but I feel as if SE made the battles a little too simple for most of the game. I plan to start FF XIII-2 and the rest of the series if I ever finish it.
Wait till chapter 11 tough battles everywhere.
chapter 12 and 13 have random battles rivalling optional boss fights in other FFs.
And optional FFXIII bosses are just plain sick.
Later chapters also come with actual freedom of choice. Choose entire party, unlock all roles for everyone and actually get enough CP per battle to make use of them, customizing finally being widely available cause you make enough money, etc.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjVvnO5lgM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4qp0wv7cDUA#t=22s
#23EdalborezPosted 2/4/2013 8:07:47 PM(edited)
achilleszero posted...
megax11 posted...
SE sucks now. It won't take a few years.

The goofballs at SE tries to say towns can't be done in HD, to justify no towns in FFXIII, yet Ni No Kuni has them in droves, and so did Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Tales of Graces F..

You just compared games with vastly different levels of details in thier graphics. Several of those are downright cartoonish compared to what SE likes to put out. Just because something is labeled as HD does not mean it is anywhere near XIII's graphics.

In addition to what GenocideHeart said, you're also not really making a point about graphics at all. When you default to the world "cartoonish", you're instead looking at aesthetics. A game can have terrible graphics and good aesthetics, or vice-versa.

To cite a popular example, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. EXTREMELY divisive design aesthetics. Doesn't mean it had bad graphics.
Or, say, Street Fighter 4. Pretty good graphics, but not everybody is fond of every single character having 6-pack abs. Including the sumo wrestler.
#24al3azmiPosted 2/5/2013 5:08:01 AM
as a platinumer of tales of graces f and player of versperia "on xbox" i say FF > Tales
tales is good no doubt about it but its an anime made into a game thats how i see it , while FF just pushes the ultimate-realistic graphics not those anime-style graphics "which i find awesome :P"
---
Psn-Battler624 Psn2-alazmi906
Low class warrior with the power of millions of super Elite
#25ZekunPosted 2/8/2013 8:13:51 PM
SE hasn't released a single groundbreaking title recently, so I'd have to say that the company lost its title of "best JRPG company" years ago.
---
PSN: Zekunlu
#26Zmapper33Posted 2/9/2013 7:28:56 AM
FF will always be #1 to me BECAUSE they always try new things with each new FF iteration. Just go look at all the FF games, they all have different skill and battle systems. Some are better than others, sure, but they reinvent the game each and every time. This can't be said about most franchises. To me this is what keeps FF fresh, even if one is released that I don't like as much as the last I still enjoy that it is a definitive chapter in the series that stands alone. People can pick and choose their favorite FF games rather easily because they all have such different approaches.
#27killo_masterPosted 2/10/2013 4:48:32 PM
The thing is, "Best" is really subjective. Everybody has there own opinion on who/what is the best. I realise sales might point in one direction or another, but not every RPG player buys every game, but still has a company they consider "Best".

Example, I prefer Atlus & Bethesda. Some people HATE Bethesda. Eh, C'est la vie!
---
"If you cant laugh at yourself, you don't have the right to laugh at others."
#28GenocideHeartPosted 2/10/2013 5:37:24 PM
killo_master posted...
The thing is, "Best" is really subjective. Everybody has there own opinion on who/what is the best. I realise sales might point in one direction or another, but not every RPG player buys every game, but still has a company they consider "Best".

Example, I prefer Atlus & Bethesda. Some people HATE Bethesda. Eh, C'est la vie!

People don't hate Bethesda, they hate how buggy their games are. Even with the bugs they're great games, but they could be so much better if only they were playtested more accurately. There really isn't an excuse for some of the bugs that make it in their finished games.
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius