The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Whatever happened to GOOD ultimate wep/accessories?

#1jimihendrixfrkPosted 1/31/2013 9:47:23 PM
I swear almost every uber weapon or accessory in this game either has something negative attached to it or just isn't that great. Hermes Sandals.....haste for 60 seconds? Short battles you're better off with a preemptive strike and long battles you can probably find a more useful acc. HS in all other FF s gave a permanent haste. Ribbons only giving 40% res? Gee, they've always done 100% every other time. Then you have all the negative wep and acc items. I'm not going to waste time farming for items that suck, and I spent 20 hours farming for that one sword in FFXII cause it was actually GOOD!
---
I can't write coherent sentences, so I use pictures. - MourningReigns
#2MisterTelliusPosted 1/31/2013 10:31:09 PM
Yeah, it really baffles me, why the "Ultimate" weapons simply aren't ultimate.

Accessories most of the time seemed to have too much capacity to actually be useful. And their passive and synthesized abilities often seemed to be TOO passive, to the point of not really being noticeable to battle performance, or worth sacrificing a better accessory combination for.
---
Nihilism was never my cup of tea.
#3ArthellinusPosted 2/1/2013 12:36:32 AM
Auto-Haste can last a whole lot more than 60 seconds if you know what you're doing.
#4kokushishinPosted 2/1/2013 10:24:37 AM
You don't have to deal with 99% hit rate Petrify, Stop etc. either. Also, remember when people would complain there's no point in having "resist Poison" etc. once you can get a Ribbon?

The weapons basically come down to personal preference: max chaining, speed, highest stats etc.

Tournesol is great and all, but the Whale Whisker is roughly equivalent and often easier to make. There's plenty of other strong weapons.
---
Meet Gabriel Belmont and his Vampire Killer!
#5ArthellinusPosted 2/1/2013 1:49:25 PM
Also, the obvious: only one accessory slot in FFXII.
#6Le_DerpstickPosted 2/1/2013 2:11:28 PM
For the most part the game is simply not difficult enough to warrant weapons that literally do everything the best. The only time it might would be the DLC Coliseum fights.

And accessories are really good. Any better than they are currently would be ludicrous, and only even slightly warranted, again, by the DLC Coliseum fights.
---
Mai waifu: http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3729/maiwaifu.png
#7jimihendrixfrk(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 6:05:31 PM
Arthellinus posted...
Also, the obvious: only one accessory slot in FFXII.

Still though, it takes up 100 capacity so you only get to equip one in this game as well. Yet in 12 it gave you 100% res instead of 40%. Actually in EVERY FF that I've played its always 100%.

Do you mind going in more depth about auto haste?

And to the other guy: Not needing something isn't a good reason not to have it in the game. Look at some of the ridiculous challenges people pull off in FFXII...just goes to show that very little is NEEDED, but having more and/or ultimate equips makes the game more fun.
---
I can't write coherent sentences, so I use pictures. - MourningReigns
#8Le_DerpstickPosted 2/1/2013 7:46:54 PM
jimihendrixfrk posted...
And to the other guy: Not needing something isn't a good reason not to have it in the game. Look at some of the ridiculous challenges people pull off in FFXII...just goes to show that very little is NEEDED, but having more and/or ultimate equips makes the game more fun.

Well, I'm all for having better stuff, and I agree with you to some extent [I love options being available in everything], but I felt the options in this game made it plenty-fun.

The only thing I really agree with you on is the fact that there is no single ultimate weapon in the game: I've been slightly disappointed since I started collecting the ones that did different things best, sad about the lack of option to, perhaps, combine them all together for the truly best result, save perhaps for the Fragment weapons being stronger with base stats.

But, I'm just saying that not having the option is not an unreasonable thing. The game is easily balanced enough to suit what they gave us, so it obviously wasn't something they just thought along the lines of: "lets screw em and give em crap equipment so they can lose" because it's fairly simple to beat everything that isn't DLC.
---
Mai waifu: http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3729/maiwaifu.png
#9MegidolaonPosted 2/4/2013 8:54:04 AM
Hermes Sandals.....haste for 60 seconds?
It's just like ribbon grants 40% resistance to all statuses.
Can't have too useful items anymore.
Then again, the speed of the battle system makes this stuff less important.

Erm, random challenges players may or may not think up are never a reason for anything to be in any game ever.
But overpowered or broken items are always welcome.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjVvnO5lgM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4qp0wv7cDUA#t=22s
#10ArthellinusPosted 2/4/2013 9:02:53 AM
Boon can easily extend Auto-Haste. With five seconds' extension per additional buff, one Feral Link from a properly built Gahongas or Yakshini gives you an extra 30 seconds, 35 with an additional En-spell. Noel learns Boon, so you can use him to extend the duration as well if you want. So you can easily have 90 seconds of Haste to start the battle. The Durable Hermes Sandals also convey Critical: Haste, which is a good defensive ability that grants a robust 120 seconds of base duration.

Super accessories remove the need to develop advanced strategies. In this game, you can be immune to one status ailment but not all. I have absolutely no problem with this. Some people like to run around with an overpowered team but I'm not one of those people. It's easy enough to wipe the floor with most enemies. The fights that should be challenging are.