So did anyone ever find out if the final boss battle scales with you in any way?

#1Krazoa2Posted 2/18/2013 7:24:06 AM
I've had this game put away ever since I got stuck on the final boss battle and could barely get it to like halfway beaten. This was my second time going through the game, after I knew how to properly level my guys, and my stats were pretty much damned strong for that point, but the final boss just obliterated me anyway. I remember watching videos of people beating it with either way the hell higher stats than I had, or people who did low level runs and beat it no problem but it looked as if they got hit a lot lighter than I would, as if the last boss scaled with your level somehow.

So, does the last battle scale with you in any way, maybe only the first time you encounter it or whatever? Or was I honestly losing despite knowing exactly what to do strategy-wise and being stronger than expected?
---
I don't even read -YouStillHateMe
#2ArthellinusPosted 2/18/2013 8:15:54 AM
No.
#3xnoelzPosted 2/19/2013 2:38:39 AM
Arthellinus posted...
No.

---
http://i.minus.com/ibvmrm7irgmmJM.gif
#4tiornysPosted 2/19/2013 7:52:48 AM
Krazoa2 posted...
So, does the last battle scale with you in any way, maybe only the first time you encounter it or whatever? Or was I honestly losing despite knowing exactly what to do strategy-wise and being stronger than expected?

I find it this statement somewhat questionable. If you actually knew exactly what to do strategy wise, I would think you would consistently win. If you can answer all of these questions with "yes" then I'll consider going to the trouble of testing against the battle at various power levels (I have a lowish level save right before the last battle sequence with ~140k unspent CP, so this is not out of the question for me):

1: Were you aware that spending less time on killing the second dragon after killing the first gives you more time against Jet before he calls them back?

2: Did you plan to use Deprotect and/or Deshell against Jet?

3: Did you plan to use Bravery and/or Faith against Jet?

4: Did you plan to use Imperil against Jet, and to combine it with one of the En-spells (Enfire etc.)?

5: Did you plan on staggering Jet?

6: Did you plan to continue increasing the chain gauge for some amount post-stagger?

7: Did you plan on killing Jet within a single stagger, during your first chance to attack him, thus avoiding the cycle of Amber/Garnet reincarnation entirely?

If your answer to any of those questions was "no," then I'd suggest that you know less about how to strategize for the fight than you think.

t~
#5Krazoa2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 6:26:28 AM
tiornys posted...
I find it this statement somewhat questionable. If you actually knew exactly what to do strategy wise, I would think you would consistently win. If you can answer all of these questions with "yes" then I'll consider going to the trouble of testing against the battle at various power levels (I have a lowish level save right before the last battle sequence with ~140k unspent CP, so this is not out of the question for me):

1: Were you aware that spending less time on killing the second dragon after killing the first gives you more time against Jet before he calls them back?

2: Did you plan to use Deprotect and/or Deshell against Jet?

3: Did you plan to use Bravery and/or Faith against Jet?

4: Did you plan to use Imperil against Jet, and to combine it with one of the En-spells (Enfire etc.)?

5: Did you plan on staggering Jet?

6: Did you plan to continue increasing the chain gauge for some amount post-stagger?

7: Did you plan on killing Jet within a single stagger, during your first chance to attack him, thus avoiding the cycle of Amber/Garnet reincarnation entirely?

If your answer to any of those questions was "no," then I'd suggest that you know less about how to strategize for the fight than you think.

t~

I can answer them all with "I dont quite remember". When I attempted this it was probably 3/4 a year or so, so I really dont remember exactly what I did. The only real issue I could come to a conclusion with, was that my pet setup was poor, but I wouldnt think that'd turn the tides so badly.

I kinda do remember whittling the other two's health down equally.
If he was deprotect/shell-able, I'm sure I tried to do it to him.
I dont remember if Bravery or Faith were useable by non-pets.
I think Imperil's the one that lowers his attack, and I dont even remember what En-spells were.
Of course I planned on staggering him, as that's how you kill all bosses in this game.
If memory serves correct, you keep hitting him with magic till he gets to 999% then switch to attack? I'd always try to do that.
I probably wasnt able to, having a hard time at all. If I could've, I would've.

I just remember all the videos I watched. They were either low level fights where it looked like they were taking less damage and the AI wasnt as relentless as when I fight the battle, or people with 10x the amount of HP I had breezing through it like nothing. I'm not underleveled at all though. My previous file was which is why I started this new one. I was breezing through all boss battles myself up until that one, then I ran straight into a brick wall, which is why I thought the boss might just scale with you. I just got bored at that point which is why I stopped, after 4-5 tries that is.
---
#6tiornysPosted 2/24/2013 6:51:38 AM
Bravery, Faith, and En-spells are monster only, and they're crucial to an optimal strategy, since (along with Imperil) they represent a 350% multiplier that compounds with the chain gauge. Imperil lowers elemental resistances. You use it to cause Jet to be weak to all elements. Giving Enfire or similar to your Commandos lets them take advantage of the elemental weaknesses and doubles their damage.

Choosing a good paradigm pack is arguably the most important point of strategy in the game, so yes, I would expect a poor paradigm pack to cause you all kinds of problems.

I'll take a look at the battle, although I freely admit I expect to find no differences. Arthellinus knows his stuff.

t~
#7Krazoa2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 2:25:32 AM
tiornys posted...
Bravery, Faith, and En-spells are monster only, and they're crucial to an optimal strategy, since (along with Imperil) they represent a 350% multiplier that compounds with the chain gauge. Imperil lowers elemental resistances. You use it to cause Jet to be weak to all elements. Giving Enfire or similar to your Commandos lets them take advantage of the elemental weaknesses and doubles their damage.

Choosing a good paradigm pack is arguably the most important point of strategy in the game, so yes, I would expect a poor paradigm pack to cause you all kinds of problems.

I'll take a look at the battle, although I freely admit I expect to find no differences. Arthellinus knows his stuff.

t~

I wouldnt say those are necessary though, right? I mean, I dont remember anyone using any of the special monster skills like that in the vids I watched, and the battle's gotta be beatable without using only one strategy. Eh, I dunno. I plan on trying to get back into this game again maybe, and if I do I'll look into it more heavily this time. Thanks.
---
#8tiornysPosted 3/1/2013 5:13:12 AM
Tested the battle before and after a massive power boost--something like 6 or 7 crystarium expansions. I saw no difference in damage output. After the power spike, I spent all of one round in Combat Clinic during the final battle, and I didn't even bother with tossing potions like I normally do. I also don't think I shifted to Tortoise--but then, I don't recall seeing any of the attacks that prompt me to shift to Tortoise, presumably because I killed stuff before those attacks showed up (I know Twin Solfire popped up just before I killed Amber and Garnet, negating that attack). It felt like I spent longer leveling up Serah and Noel than I did fighting the entire 4 combat final sequence after powering up.

Anyway, you're right, those things aren't necessary to beat the boss--numerous strategies can work--but you'll notice that's not what I said. What I said was that they were needed for an optimum strategy. There's a big difference between "a strategy that can work" and "an optimum strategy."

However, it was arrogant of me to assert that I knew what the optimum strategy was. As I've still never seen Jet Bahamut's worst attacks (since I kill him before he starts using them), I can't actually claim that I have an optimum strategy. I can claim that I have a repeatable and reliable strategy that works without excessive grinding, and therefore any optimum strategy must also be repeatable, reliable, and work without excessive grinding.

I still believe that Bravery/Faith and the En-spell/Imperil combinations are important to an optimum strategy, simply based on the sheer power level those provide, but it's possible I'm wrong. It's certainly possible to beat the game without using those elements, but you'll either need a much higher base power level than I had (to kill in one stagger without tripling your damage output), or you'll need to deal with at least one resurrection loop and the resultant super attacks.

t~
#9Krazoa2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2013 8:45:01 PM
Does this mean you never even saw Jet Bahamut's countdown megainstantdeathifyou'renotonTortoise attack? Because that's pretty much what killed me every time, and that's the attack I never saw the low level runs ever see as well. Either I wouldn't notice the countdown, as I've repeatedly had a hard time paying attention to the little messages that pop up while navigating through the menus, and I'd just die. Or I would switch in time but not be able to heal myself back up fast enough before someone died, then while spending my time trying to revive them another would die, and it'd just spiral downward to my defeat.

I dunno if your strategy wouldn't require grinding, for where I am now. I'd probably have to grind and farm a lot in order to create monsters with those appropriate skills I never had. So it seems if I plan on ever beating it, I'll have to grind in one way or another anyway. Knowing about these skills being an option does help a lot though, and would help further if I beat it and play into the all the post-game crap. So thanks for that.
---
#10tiornysPosted 3/2/2013 11:22:19 PM
Krazoa2 posted...
Does this mean you never even saw Jet Bahamut's countdown megainstantdeathifyou'renotonTortoise attack?

That is correct. In fact, I don't actually know what this attack looks like (I once deliberately stopped watching a video when the countdown started to preserve this fact, because I'm weird). I've heard all about it--here on GameFAQs, in my strategy guide--but I have never witnessed it.

Even the first time I played the game, I knew enough of my current strategy to kill Jet during his first exposure, during his first stagger, although that kill was nothing near as polished as this one: http://youtu.be/_IyrJpC5lyo

Assuming that your Serah or Noel knows Imperil, you should be able to pull this off by recruiting Cloudburst. That will require leaving and coming back, but at least you'll still be right in front of the final sequence after you recruit him.

There are other ways to work the strategy, but Cloudburst is by far the easiest route. His Feral Link gives you Faith and Enfrost (Circuitron's FL can also work). As long as you also have Imperil from somewhere, you can likely manage the kill. Adding Bravery makes it easier, of course.

Arthellinus clued me in to Cloudburst's awesome Feral Link, and one of his vids (now taken down) gave me the idea of buffering the FL into Ultima Arrow's animation. That was all the tech I had the first time I did the fight--I didn't even know about getting extra time against Jet by killing Garnet and Amber close together (although I was a lot higher level than I am in the vid).

Anyway, good luck if you decide to try again!

t~