Can someone explain this games story very simply for me? *massive spoilers*

#1DrunkenPiratePosted 2/23/2013 8:52:50 PM(edited)
Well I just beat the game and have NO idea what the hell any of it was all about.

So if you could please give me a good plot summary of the whole game that is very, very simple and direct. Thank you guys.
---
I accidentally ended up in a gay romance with him. dh1723
http://babo-ryan.deviantart.com
#2SoeroahPosted 2/23/2013 11:52:26 PM(edited)
Uh...from what I recall...(This may be wrong so if anyone comes in to correct me go with them);

An immortal guy called Caius gets sick of watching a reincarnating girl die constantly, and decides to break time to prevent her from having to die again. To that end, he starts travelling throughout history to taunt Yuel's other buddy from the end times, Noel, into killing him, which would release the chaos into the world and cause time to effectively come to a stand-still.

As the player characters of the story travel through time to find out what happened to Lightning, and to stop Noel's future from coming true, they unwittingly help Caius and possibly even set up Noel's future in the first place, causing and solving paradoxes, each of which causes a Yuel to die, leading to Caius getting pissed off and such.

Eventually they find Caius, kill him, have about three minutes of celebratory chatter, then the world is engulfed in Chaos, ending time and turning the world into Valhalla, the timeless realm where Lightning fought Caius at the start of the game.

Short version: Two heroes defeat a bad guy to stop his misguided plans, but actually helped him achieve his goal.

---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#3ArthellinusPosted 2/24/2013 10:53:04 AM
Not to be unhelpful, but you'll probably get a much more detailed answer on the Lightning Returns boards, if you can wade through all the spam you're going to get.
#4lightdragoon88Posted 3/6/2013 6:50:38 AM
Soeroah posted...
Uh...from what I recall...(This may be wrong so if anyone comes in to correct me go with them);

An immortal guy called Caius gets sick of watching a reincarnating girl die constantly, and decides to break time to prevent her from having to die again. To that end, he starts travelling throughout history to taunt Yuel's other buddy from the end times, Noel, into killing him, which would release the chaos into the world and cause time to effectively come to a stand-still.

As the player characters of the story travel through time to find out what happened to Lightning, and to stop Noel's future from coming true, they unwittingly help Caius and possibly even set up Noel's future in the first place, causing and solving paradoxes, each of which causes a Yuel to die, leading to Caius getting pissed off and such.

Eventually they find Caius, kill him, have about three minutes of celebratory chatter, then the world is engulfed in Chaos, ending time and turning the world into Valhalla, the timeless realm where Lightning fought Caius at the start of the game.

Short version: Two heroes defeat a bad guy to stop his misguided plans, but actually helped him achieve his goal.

You pretty much got *most* of the basic right there and the short version is spot on. Good job.
---
My favorite League of Legend Champion: http://i.imgur.com/xx0hSNV.png
http://i.imgur.com/Q7BrWKG.png
#5martinmapPosted 3/6/2013 8:14:14 PM
The best way to fully understand the plot would be to get all the fragmentsand read the little paragraphs they contain. Now seeing as most wouldn't want to grab all 160 I'll give some more background to how the entire fiasco came to be.

Now, when Etro un-crystalized everyone she screwed up up the gates of chaos and had to use up all her strengh and ended up *sleeping* in the heart of chaos. Caius took advantage of this and tried to release the gates of chaos and let it spill into the world in order to stop time and stop Yuel from dying.

Etro appointed Lightning her champion in order to stop Caius. Well they battled for an objective eternity since Valhalla is seperated from time. Eventually, knowing he couldn't beat Lightning and went with plan B, ie killing himself and by extension Etro. He got Noel to do it (kinda-sorta) and killed Etro.

Without Etro's power the gates were destroyed/opened and the seas of Chaos were unleashed onto the world. Time stops, Serah dies, and oceans of chaos flow out from the Unseen Realm. pretty much a complete and total failure on the good guys part.

If you want the exact fragments readthe fragments feom the 'Oracle of Etro' category. And you were prety much spot on Soeroah. One thing I think you were wrong about is
that the world didn't become Valhala, the two were fused, similar to FF 5. Can't be sure of thise until the next game comes out though.

Oh, and all the time traveling and paradox solving you did was almost a complete waste, seeing as time stopped.
#6MimebladePosted 3/7/2013 7:03:34 PM
FFXIII: Lightning is mad because her entire life is run by Eidolon Fal'Cie. So she does something about it. Doing something about it entails blaming her sister, blaming the government, and blaming herself, then blaming Fal'Cie, but it's not really Fal'Cie's fault...it's the Gods' and Goddesses' fault.

FFXIII-2: The Goddess sympathizes with Lightning but screws up Time as we know it, resulting in Entropy. Lightning blames herself and ends up having her life run by a Goddess instead of a Fal'Cie. This causes her sister to chase after her, knowing full well she was gonna kill herself...leading to even more grief. Lighting gets depressed but refuses to forget her Sister, so she turns to Crystal for a few thousand years.

FFXIII-3: One of the Gods wakes Lightning up. The world's gonna end, and it's Lightning's job to give the eviction notice. She's basically moving everyone into the 'new apartment' that is the new world in 13 days. Until then she has to figure out what's going on or just plain do what she wants...she's no longer human anymore...just a tool, like she always was. It doesn't help that some THING just happens to look like her sister back when she was human.

Depressing, I know...
---
If you have a question about Guilty Gear, ask me anything!
http://gear-project.tumblr.com/