Is this game worth playing?

#1HappyUnicorn101Posted 2/24/2013 9:00:57 PM
Contrary to what others thought, I kind of liked XIII for a one time playthrough.

But i didn't really enjoy the demo of this game and I HATE how ally monsters are the focus of the combat. When I play FF, i want to play as cool, human people. not generic looking monsters.

Now I know this game is worth getting PRICEWISE I can get if for 20 bucks at Target, maybe even cheaper online. But is it worth investing the time into?
---
"I really hope you were one of the hundreds of people i curb stomped today" - Typical basement dwellers living through their vidyagames
#2tiornysPosted 2/24/2013 10:55:15 PM
I enjoyed it and thought it was worth the time, but I also enjoyed the demo, and I didn't hate the ally monsters. I wasn't thrilled about them, but I didn't hate them.

For you? Not sure. What was it about the demo that you disliked?

t~
#3HappyUnicorn101(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 10:57:19 PM
Couldn't really get into it. I guess I'll play it eventually though.
---
"I really hope you were one of the hundreds of people i curb stomped today" - Typical basement dwellers living through their vidyagames
#4JoolsyPosted 2/25/2013 3:21:11 AM
I played through FFXIII and felt a bit "meh" about it, I enjoyed it enough but wasn't thrilled, if you get my drift...

I only just got hold of FFXIII-2 and so far I'm enjoying it much more than I did the first (halfway through Ep.4).

Just the fact that it is way less linear and allows you to hop around all over the place and go/do where/what you want, when you want to makes all the difference for me.

I kinda like the "Pokemon" features, collecting monsters and training them up to be your 3rd party member too,

The story depends quite heavily on the 1st game, there are recaps for sure but I'm not sure I'd really know what was going on in II if I hadn't played the 1st. That might not matter too much to you either way and anyway I'm sure there are plenty of summaries online.

The Moogle companion and his "throw" and "discover" abilities are nice additions too.

My only real gripe so far is with the lead characters. Serah & Noel are pretty one-dimensional (so far) and their story is hardly riveting, although I would say that the overall game's story isn't terrible and I do like the time-traveling aspect (complete with Dr. Who style sequences) and the idea behind repairing the paradoxes.

tl:dr: It's mostly like the first one but a definite improvement in most of the areas that let the first game down. Other than the lackluster lead characters its a decent FF imo and definitely worth a play.
---
~ Ye Olde Schule ~
#5SoBePosted 2/25/2013 11:11:50 AM
I loved FFXIII but I played about 10-12 hours into XIII-2 and hated everything about it. Seems like a pretty polarizing game so you should give it a chance and decide for yourself whether you like it or not.
---
#6RedWarlordPosted 2/25/2013 11:48:12 PM
Lol, thank the video game GODS Square never made another Chrono game. If they had...it would be FF13-2! Seriously. This game is a little rough around the edges, sort of boring, very task oriented, fetching. Still, i prefer playing fetch to playing "follow the hallway."
#7TheGlowPosted 2/26/2013 7:26:26 AM
RedWarlord posted...
Lol, thank the video game GODS Square never made another Chrono game. If they had...it would be FF13-2! Seriously. This game is a little rough around the edges, sort of boring, very task oriented, fetching. Still, i prefer playing fetch to playing "follow the hallway."

Chrono Cross didn't happen?
I'm not feeling this one a whole lot. 13 I gave a chance and least was compelled enough to get all the trophies/achievements.
Too often as I play I'm thinking about what game should I jump to next, Castlevania or Dead Space 1.
Too many cutscenes that don't seem critical. More like prerendered scenes I have to watch, and the dialogue is slow. I can't just hit X to speed it up, but I don't want to out right skip it.
#8Vidius101Posted 2/26/2013 3:47:18 PM
Yeah, good game better than FF 13
---
Programmed Java, Python, Mat Lab, Project Alice, MS DOS and ADA.
#9VegerunksPosted 2/26/2013 6:48:20 PM
It seems like the people that liked Xiii quite a bit dislike this game and if they didn't really like XIII then they like this. lol
---
Xbox 360 GamerTag: HolyKnight22
PSN: CrimsonDivide