Third Monster

#1TeslaCoi1Posted 2/28/2013 1:10:37 PM
Ok, so, it seems to me most people agree that two of the three slots of the Monster Pack should be reserved for a good COM and a good RAV, correct? And I already have a maxed out Chichu (man is he awesome), and my Cloudburst will be maxed out soon enough, so I figure I'm mostly all set there. But what about the third monster? Should I go with a SYN, a MED, or a SEN (SAB is out of the question for me, personally, and it seems to me most people don't use them anyway)? I have a maxed out Sazh infused with all possible Role abilities available for the SYN option, and I have a maxed out Green Chocobo infused with all possible Role abilites available for the Medic option. I don't have an excellent SEN yet. Still working on upgrading my Goblin Chieftain and/or Pulse Gladiator for that. So which one should I go with? I'm using Sazh currently, and have the following paradigms:

COM-COM-Chichu
RAV-RAV-Chichu
RAV-RAV-Cloudburst
SAB-RAV-Sazh (Serah is good enough of a SAB on her own, and I have Noel as a RAV in order to compliment Sazh's Cold Blood feral ability)
MED-MED-Sazh
SEN-SEN-Sazh (for withstanding AOE attacks from powerful enemies)

But I'm thinking of switching out Sazh with my Green Chocobo instead, and going with:

COM-COM-Chichu
RAV-RAV-Chichu
RAV-RAV-Cloudburst
SAB-SAB-Green Chocobo
SYN-SYN-Green Chocobo
SEN-SEN-Green Chocobo

What do you guys think? Should I stick with Sazh, or go with green Chocobo? And if I should go with Green Chocobo, should I have a different set of paradigms? Or should I go with neither, and go with a SEN once I finish upgrading my Goblin Chieftain and/or Pulse Gladiator (I know that defensively the Pulse Gladiator is supreme, but I like the idea of my Goblin Chieftain's Feral Ability complimenting my Cloudburst's Feral Ability, and leaving my whole team with a full set of buffs. Also the Pulse Gladiator is more costly and difficult to upgrade)

Lastly, I also hear some people recommend going with a COM, MED and SEN pack rather than a COM, RAV and SEN pack, but I'm thinking, wouldn't that kill chaining abilities, since you can no longer use Tri-Disaster (triple RAV)? If you think this is the way to go though, what would be a good set of paradigms? I will of course be using Chichu, Green Chocobo, and Goblin Chieftain or Pulse Gladiator in this case.

Please give me your input guys!
#2tiornysPosted 2/28/2013 1:14:18 PM
I recommend a good SYN and a good SEN, actually. You'll want COM/RAV/SYN for most fights, but COM/RAV/SEN is useful enough to be worth developing a SEN. Goblin Chieftain is definitely the the way to go for a SEN, because of the FL combo to substitute for a SYN. For your SYN, I hear Purple Chocobo is good, but Yakshini has certain advantages (more FL buffing!).

t~
#3TeslaCoi1(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2013 2:33:03 PM
@tiornys
That sounds like something that might be useful against the really powerful enemies, but for all the other normal fights against the weaker enmies, that would be pointless, since it'd be easier and faster to kill them with COM-COM-COM and/or RAV-RAV-COM. Also, like I said, I already went with Sazh over the Purple Chocobo (infused the latter into the former in fact, after upgrading the latter until it had gotten all it's role and passive abilities). That won't change. But I do like the sound of using Goblin Chieftain as a SEN. Maybe I'll go with Chichu, Cloudburst, and Goblin Chieftain, and rely on the combined FL's of the latter two monsters for buffs, and not use any SYN's?
#4VanilleHopenPosted 3/1/2013 2:49:54 AM
I honestly dont even bother with sabetour or medic monsters.. takes wayy too much effort to level and infuse for them and they just aren't worth it as I always find I am using the other 4 way more often.....
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.
#5tiornysPosted 3/1/2013 4:00:29 AM
Out of SYN, SAB, SEN, and MED, none of those are required for fights against weaker enemies. A SYN can contribute more than the others can, especially if it is Augment-focused. An initial Bravega can speed up any fight that was going to take more than two rounds. Also, SYNs derive a direct benefit from fewer passive abilities than COMs, RAVs, or SENs, which means you have space to load down your SYN with Auto-buffs for your COM and RAV to use.

And yes, SYNs are great against the tougher enemies.

The main issue with relying on Goblin Chieftain and Cloudburst for buffs all the time is that you won't have access to those buffs in every fight. How much that matters depends on what you're doing, but if you're farming something tough it will definitely come up.

t~
#6TeslaCoi1(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 12:40:24 PM
"Also, SYNs derive a direct benefit from fewer passive abilities than COMs, RAVs, or SENs, which means you have space to load down your SYN with Auto-buffs for your COM and RAV to use."

What do you mean? What benefits do my SYN Monsters get from having few infused passive abilities rather than many? I don't get it, that makes no sense to me. :-/

"The main issue with relying on Goblin Chieftain and Cloudburst for buffs all the time is that you won't have access to those buffs in every fight."

I think I'll get them often enough if I equip either Serah or Noel with a Durable Hypnocrown, which gives me FL Charge Max, or something like that, which greatly increases the feral link charge rate (not slight increase, not moderate, not normal/high, but GREAT! ; ) ), and I also make sure that both my Goblin Chieftain and my Cloudburst have Feral Link Speed 2, which they both already have. ; )

But anyway, so basically what you recommend is that I keep my Chichu and my Sazh, and switch out my Cloudburst with a Goblin Chieftain? I'm kind of reluctant to do that to be honest...I really like the Relentless Assault (Triple RAV) Paradigm. Maybe I'll make that switch once the enemies become really tough.
#7ACrossCountryPosted 3/1/2013 12:53:08 PM
TeslaCoi1 posted...
"Also, SYNs derive a direct benefit from fewer passive abilities than COMs, RAVs, or SENs, which means you have space to load down your SYN with Auto-buffs for your COM and RAV to use."

What do you mean? What benefits do my SYN Monsters get from having few infused passive abilities rather than many? I don't get it, that makes no sense to me. :-/

I think I'll get them often enough if I equip either Serah or Noel with a Durable Hypnocrown, which gives me FL Charge Max, or something like that, which greatly increases the feral link charge rate (not slight increase, not moderate, not normal/high, but GREAT! ; ) ), and I also make sure that both my Goblin Chieftain and my Cloudburst have Feral Link Speed 2, which they both already have. ; )

They benefit because there are less important passive abilities for synergists. For a commando it's hard to pick 10 out of all of them. For a synergist, you've got room to spare, so people will load them up with auto-haste, auto-bravery, etc. Then you could just paradigm shift and those buffs will transfer to say your COM.

True you could get your feral links every battle (except the ones that last seconds and you don't really need FLs for), but then you're limiting yourself to having those accessories. Some people would prefer durable collector's catalog
#8tiornysPosted 3/1/2013 12:56:30 PM
TeslaCoi1 posted...
But anyway, so basically what you recommend is that I keep my Chichu and my Sazh, and switch out my Cloudburst with a Goblin Chieftain? I'm kind of reluctant to do that to be honest...I really like the Relentless Assault (Triple RAV) Paradigm. Maybe I'll make that switch once the enemies become really tough.

No, I recommend you keep your Chichu and your Cloudburst, and switch between your Sazh and your Goblin Chieftain as circumstances warrant. COM and RAV are the two most important monster roles.

t~
#9VanilleHopenPosted 3/1/2013 12:56:32 PM
ACrossCountry posted...
TeslaCoi1 posted...

They benefit because there are less important passive abilities for synergists. For a commando it's hard to pick 10 out of all of them. For a synergist, you've got room to spare, so people will load them up with auto-haste, auto-bravery, etc. Then you could just paradigm shift and those buffs will transfer to say your COM.

True you could get your feral links every battle (except the ones that last seconds and you don't really need FLs for), but then you're limiting yourself to having those accessories. Some people would prefer durable collector's catalog

or vampire strike for noel with delicate power wristbands :)
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.
#10TeslaCoi1(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 1:13:02 PM
'kay. Thanks all. I guess I'll see what happens once I get further into the game, and encounter more powerful enemies. I'm curious about trying to use my Green Chocobo as well. I'm only halfway through all the stages in the game, but I spent a long time farming for materials for my monsters in the Archylte Steppe (and Augusta Tower 300AF in the case of my Cloudburst), and maxed out both my Chichu and my Sazh (and my Green Chocobo), as well as Serah and Noel, and so I'm rather overpowered. Most normal fights are piss easy and end in seconds. Chichu slaughters everything (was fun watching him use Vigilance Feeder, Bravery Feeder, and Faith Feeder all at the same time to butcher a Red Chocobo's 100000+HP in a few seconds lol). :P I tried to tackle any enemy I've encountered because of that of course, so those huge Cieth guys in the Archylte Steppe during stormy weather provided some challenge at least. Only exception is that Long Gui...No way I'm trying to attack that guy yet, I don't know if they are still just as powerful, but I'm still afraid of them after XIII. :P