Wondering about Cocoon *spoilers*

#1huanling06Posted 4/28/2013 12:56:45 PM
I am sure it's been asked before...
I was wondering why Hope would go through the effort of building an entire planet for the people of Cocoon to move. Why couldn't they all just move to Pulse? Is it just because the old Cocoon will fall and destroy Pulse? Given that they had 500 years and the ability to craft a world, they probably could have found a way to prevent Cocoon falling >.>;;; an artificial pole perhaps... Oh well ^^;;;
---
PSN: pikaluo
#2huanling06(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 1:07:39 PM
Not sure how to edit posts ^^ I know it's reaaally really petty, but I would have dismantled Cocoon piece by piece if it were me and melted down the parts into something useful :P
---
PSN: pikaluo
#3ZaneKaiPosted 4/28/2013 1:49:19 PM(edited)
Agreed. But the reason was that they think Cocoon is a better place to live. Safe from any harm or dangers from the monsters that live below. They were to lazy too live on Gran Pulse because it's harder to live life on Gran Pulse.

There would be too many casualties to live in Gran Pulse. The monsters are untamable unlike real life's animals. So Cocoon is basically their barrier between humans and monsters.
---
You shouldn't always believe what other people say.
#4lightdragoon88Posted 4/28/2013 7:11:06 PM
huanling06 posted...
I am sure it's been asked before...
I was wondering why Hope would go through the effort of building an entire planet for the people of Cocoon to move. Why couldn't they all just move to Pulse? Is it just because the old Cocoon will fall and destroy Pulse? Given that they had 500 years and the ability to craft a world, they probably could have found a way to prevent Cocoon falling >.>;;; an artificial pole perhaps... Oh well ^^;;;

Man this has been asked many times.

1) Grand Pulse has monsters, Fal'Cie, and uninhabitable land.

2) Coccon has no monsters, controllable weather, and endless food through carbulcle.

As for why not dismantling all of cocoon and/or putting more supports on it.

1) Dismantling the outerwall would of harm/destroy the crystal wall sooner.

2) Cocoon HAD to fail cause it fell in the true timeline. It needed to fall for the paradoxes to cease.
---
My favorite League of Legend Champion: http://i.imgur.com/xx0hSNV.png
http://i.imgur.com/Q7BrWKG.png
#5SamcittPosted 5/12/2013 8:04:36 AM
I disagree with the monster argument. It's 500 years down the line and it is known that humanity built a metropolis and technologically advanced Academia in two timelines (the point of divergence is 13AF when Academia would still be a town or young city at best) where the second one is seemingly without the extensive security systems which existed in the first one. That isn't a recipe for a people who find it too difficult to survive on the surface. Plus the Brain quiz strongly suggests that Pulsian civilisation is vast so they have overcome environmental difficulties.

I suspect that the "Metashield argument" is the correct one. In the game Pulse isn't futzed for two reasons: 1) A great war doesn't ravage it and 2) The Metashield greatly lessens Cocoon's impact - The datalogs mention it and the 500AF team explain that the shield is online and functioning. However they would have had no way of knowing for certain that the shield would work so they evacuated. The fact that it did is a bonus.

Indeed, dismantling old Cocoon would have been much, much easier if they determined where to remove over the centuries without risking the pillar's integrity. I assume they were not confident in their ability to dismantle it so they settled on building a new one (which IIRC is a lot smaller than old Cocoon.)

I assume that at the end of LR the world would go back to 0AF (the ending of the first game) with Lightning there as well. However the group have retained their memories and this time Hope knows exactly how to efficiently deal with Cocoon.
#6CatMutoPosted 5/13/2013 1:53:29 AM
2) Cocoon HAD to fail cause it fell in the true timeline. It needed to fall for the paradoxes to cease.

Da-wha? I thought it was mentioned that the timeline Noel was born in was the one where Lightning disappeared post-Fall, so that was the paradox timeline to begin with and not a true one...

And remember, they did try to think of a way to re-levitate the old cocoon. With a terrible idea, but still. Why not use an artificial pillar? Well, if they built it, how would they move Cocoon from the crystal to the artificial pillar? And even if they uphold Cocoon longer, there was still the constant danger of monsters on Pulse.
Technically, we never see how things are going in AF 4XX or 500, in terms of monster attacks. And they could go back on the old Cocoon? I guess, but not really, seeing as how the entire thing was enveloped in lava towards the end and crystal dust and all that stuff.

I'm wondering, if they already levitate Bhunivelze at the end of XIII-2.... did they evacuate everybody onto it already?

C-A
---
"If sense were common, everyone would have it."
The gamer who dislikes FF VII, OoT and similar and isn't afraid to admit it
#7mws5003Posted 5/13/2013 3:18:03 AM
I believe they said they had evacuated everyone from cocoon and academia onto the new one.

I can't believe settling on pulse wasn't more of a serious option amongst all the citizens. If you lived on Pulse, you developed powers! There's one way to start taming beasts...
---
"A red flowering, a blue student, and spotted silver mushrooms?"- Meimei
"You hurt me and my friends, so I eat you for dinner!"- Quina
#8CatMutoPosted 5/14/2013 4:30:43 AM
mws5003 posted...
I believe they said they had evacuated everyone from cocoon and academia onto the new one.

I can't believe settling on pulse wasn't more of a serious option amongst all the citizens. If you lived on Pulse, you developed powers! There's one way to start taming beasts...

If they did, how come Hope and the other people in the Academia HQ are still on Pulse?

Speaking of, they only got magic powers, not the taming...

C-A
---
"If sense were common, everyone would have it."
The gamer who dislikes FF VII, OoT and similar and isn't afraid to admit it