Havn't played a FF game since 10....will I like this?

#1adh111285Posted 4/30/2013 11:55:05 AM(edited)
Seen plenty of videos of the latest FF games and they seem so different....but it seems like i would still enjoy this one (ordered a copy off ebay for 8 bucks along with some others i found for a good deal.)

are there any similarities to the first 10 installments? anything i should expect to love/hate?

forgot to mention, i played all of the first 10, including the old school spinoffs :P
---
Currently Playing - Forza Horizon, Minecraft, COD Black Ops 2, and others...
GamerTag - Bl1ndF1re85 UN for RoB - adh111285
#2Sir_TripzalotPosted 4/30/2013 2:33:34 PM
This is the XIII - 2 board.

Although it's not dramatically important, the story does kind of go "hand in hand" with the original XIII game.

As far as gameplay and graphics, this game has those in spades. Having played through the original, I was familiar with the battle mechanics, and was able to integrate fully into the system very quickly. To a first timer, it's a little different type of hybrid turn based battle system, and may take a few hours to get used to. Once you get the hang of it, it's not terribly difficult to push the efficiency of your team and open up different strategies for defeating enemies.

The story, for me, was one of the weakest parts. Overall, it's not a terrible story, just poorly executed. The game relies too heavily on you reading the Datalog to fill in the gaps in the story... or just flat out doesn't tell you some information. The board here is always fairly willing to help. GFaqs has built a pretty solid community.

If you haven't played XIII yet, I would recommend picking up a copy of that as well.

This is a planned trilogy, and you've picked up the middle installment...neither the beginning nor the end. The story is going to be a little wonky, as some things we've been told in the first game (especially some of the foreign terminology) may be a bit confusing to someone who drops themselves in the middle.

Overall, it's a very good JRPG that succeeds in more ways than it fails, and should give you 40-50 hours or more of enjoyment. Well worth the 8 bucks.

As always... Have Fun!!
---
Your proctologist called...he's found your head.
Three words to fix the economy. Gay. Bridal. Registry. discuss...
#3adh111285(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 11:24:44 AM
best response ever sir, thank you!

started the game yesterday and realized that I actually DID play the first XIII (had a few mixed up) and didnt care much for it , but liking this one a lot so far for some reason! just got throught the opening fight scene with caius and O_O!

it seems they refined the battle system a touch, added more active cinematics, and other things..

the story came back to me so im not lost or confused as I thought. it seems like there are plenty of secret bosses, equipment, and awesomeness to keep me busy for a long while...hooray ;)
---
Currently Playing - Forza Horizon, Minecraft, COD Black Ops 2, and others...
GamerTag - Bl1ndF1re85 UN for RoB - adh111285
#4Sir_TripzalotPosted 5/2/2013 4:33:34 PM
Include the DLC, and you've got a really good amount of "extra" content, for sure.

Being as how you can go back to any area you've already visited, there are also virtually no missables. The one exception is an adornment that has absolutely no bearing on the game whatsoever.

Although, there is currently a thread on this board that implies that even this adornment isn't missable... Though, there is no concrete evidence that it's true.

Either way, have fun with it, and look for Lightning Returns FFXIII later this year. Hopefully, this completes the FNC saga, and we can get on with our lives... :)

As always ... Have fun!!
---
Your proctologist called...he's found your head.
Three words to fix the economy. Gay. Bridal. Registry. discuss...
#5Lacrymosa143Posted 5/2/2013 7:24:51 PM
For the story, there are also some other things outside of the games that fill some things in. Like Episode Zero and the video explaining the mythology. You can find them somewhere on the internet.
#6kewldude475Posted 5/4/2013 12:00:05 AM
In my opinion, this is the best console FF since 10. Though to be fair, I didn't get very far in 12. In a lot of ways, it feels a lot like FFX to me.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZAQVsCU.gif
#7Lacrymosa143Posted 5/4/2013 8:06:33 AM
kewldude475 posted...
In my opinion, this is the best console FF since 10. Though to be fair, I didn't get very far in 12. In a lot of ways, it feels a lot like FFX to me.

XII is very good as well, though there are a few things they could have done better (as is with every final fantasy game). The international version probably fixes these things. That's the cool thing about this series though, they are always trying something new so every game is always refreshing. That's why there is always a few flaws, cuz they don't just recycle what they know works. But the fact that they still make awesome games is impressive.
#8CatMutoPosted 5/4/2013 2:47:35 PM
Mmhh, I haven't played FF I - X, or finished them, but I still enjoy XIII and XIII-2. Overall, the gameplay is very different. The battle system might take some getting used to, but once you figure out the way the Paradigm Shift works and ATB Resetting, it's quite easy. One thing you defnitely want to watch out for before playing XIII-2 is the way the Crystarium Functions.
It's... kind of... like the Sphere Grid in X, but also completely different... sort of... maybe... before playing the game, you defintely want to look up the Crystarium Progression FAQ.

I'd say that the game might take some getting used to, but it would definitely be worth at least one playthrough. You might not like the few characters that appear - majority of the XIII cast is, literally, cast aside - but they might grow on you or even the opposite.
I overall like playing X but Tidus just irks me in all the wrong ways...

C-A
---
"If sense were common, everyone would have it."
The gamer who isn't afraid of admitting to disliking the so-called Best Games of their Generation
#9cyan1001Posted 5/4/2013 3:59:03 PM
maybe