Can someone clarify the crystarium system in this game for me?

#1Chicken InspectorPosted 5/14/2013 7:46:25 AM
I have played XIII multiple times, but I just started my first ever playthrough of XIII-2 last night. THe crystarium in this game is just different enough to confuse me tons.

XIII each role had its own crystarium
in XIII-2 it seems each role shares the same crystarium....so can I miss out on certain upgrades if I don't level my characters in a certain fashion? I have the piggyback guidebook for this game, but it doesn't clearly answer all my questions. in fact, it makes things more confusing

it shows a guide of optimal progression...but does it matter which role I choose and which role bonus I choose at whatever time...assuming I'll get them all by the end of the game? If someone can explain XIII-2 leveling system in very easy to understand terms I would be very grateful.
---
Deus Ex: When you mention it, someone is going to reinstall it.
#2ArmaLeyvatenPosted 5/14/2013 8:17:07 AM
Each role shares the same crystarium as you progress through it. You can't miss anything as you can level each role to the max of 99, gain every ability each role gives to each character, and gain every crystarium expansion bonus by the time you max them both out. I would recommend getting the ATB bonuses, the Medic role, and the Saboteur role ASAP as Noel and Serah are the only Medics and Saboteurs you will ever need for the whole game, and more ATB means more actions taken each combat round which helps with chaining and overall dps. The order of crystarium bonuses taken after that is up for personal preference, really.

The other important thing to remember about the crystarium is the bonus stats you get from large nodes. Every node has its own set stat gains regardless of what role you use to level, and then on large nodes you get a bonus to a certain stat depending on which role you used to level up on it. The bonuses are as follows:

COM: +2 STR
RAV: +2 MAG
SEN: +6 HP
MED: +6 HP

SYN and SAB roles are a bit different as they can give two different bonuses which depend on whether you level up on an odd number or even number. For example, your SAB role is level 50. The next node to level up is a large node. Since you're going from level 50 to 51 on this node, you get the bonus for odd levels. SYN and SAB bonuses are:

SAB: +2 MAG if leveling up on an odd level, +2 STR if leveling up on an even level
SYN: +2 MAG if leveling up on an odd level, +6 HP if leveling up on an even level

Hope that all explains a few things :)
#3Chicken Inspector(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 8:28:42 AM
it helps a bit yes. From what Ive read and took out of the guide, it seemed like if you didnt level up properly, the end game can be a difficult disaster. Good to know this isn't so.

i deviated a little bit from what the guide suggested, but ill try my best to follow that. I just hope I'll pick it up the more I play along. I'm only about 3-5 hours into it anyways, couldnt have screwed much up yet, right? ;)
---
Deus Ex: When you mention it, someone is going to reinstall it.
#4BurninggUpPosted 5/14/2013 2:42:45 PM
Chicken Inspector posted...
it helps a bit yes. From what Ive read and took out of the guide, it seemed like if you didnt level up properly, the end game can be a difficult disaster. Good to know this isn't so.

i deviated a little bit from what the guide suggested, but ill try my best to follow that. I just hope I'll pick it up the more I play along. I'm only about 3-5 hours into it anyways, couldnt have screwed much up yet, right? ;)

You are worrying WAYYY too much. I never knew anything about the crystarium until I got through about 80% of the game's storyline. And I never even died ONCE from the last boss. If you are only 3-5 hours in the game and you already know this much, then you will NOT mess up. Here's a tip: It's best to always level up Noel's Com on the Big nodes. And best to always level up Serah's Rav on the Big Nodes. Generally, it is never advised to use Sent & Medic on Big Nodes, so level those ones up on the smaller nodes. Reason being is that it's rumored that the +6HP bonus is inferior to the +2Str/Mag.

If you are only one or two days into ffxiii-2, no matter what you've done to the crystarium, the messing-up is still at it's minimum.
#5ArmaLeyvatenPosted 5/14/2013 6:15:37 PM
BurninggUp posted...
it's rumored that the +6HP bonus is inferior to the +2Str/Mag.

It's not a rumor. It's pretty much fact. Serah and Noel don't really need any more HP as no enemy in the game really deals enough damage to warrant extra HP. Taking HP over MAG for Serah or STR for Noel is also taking away from potential offensive power, which means you'd be taking longer in battles than you would otherwise.

All of that said, though, don't worry about leveling up haphazardly. In this game battle strategy will win over pure stats as even with max offensive stats poor strategies will just make life harder on you. The "damage" already dealt won't matter too much since you caught it early, so don't worry about it too much ;)
#6BurninggUpPosted 5/15/2013 6:55:24 PM
ArmaLeyvaten posted...
BurninggUp posted...
it's rumored that the +6HP bonus is inferior to the +2Str/Mag.

It's not a rumor. It's pretty much fact. Serah and Noel don't really need any more HP as no enemy in the game really deals enough damage to warrant extra HP. Taking HP over MAG for Serah or STR for Noel is also taking away from potential offensive power, which means you'd be taking longer in battles than you would otherwise.

All of that said, though, don't worry about leveling up haphazardly. In this game battle strategy will win over pure stats as even with max offensive stats poor strategies will just make life harder on you. The "damage" already dealt won't matter too much since you caught it early, so don't worry about it too much ;)

Hahaha i figured so, but since I've ever only heard one person say it, I assumed it was a rumor.