Had to read a FFXIII-2 wiki just to undertand what I just played (spoilers)

#1Chicken InspectorPosted 5/21/2013 7:14:49 PM
Caius, Yuel, Etro, the heart of chaos...Lightning...the concept of reincarnated Yuels and Caius running into serah and noel throughout his life...

somethings made a bit more sense, a lot of things just seemed more confusing...

This game seems to be complicated just for the same of being complicated, sooo much potential and it was hampered by poor writing and naration imo (couldn't they think of a better way of refering to Yuel throughout the timeline instead of My Yuel, this times' Yuel, all the Yuels of time, the last Yuel, etc...) and the word timeline just became cliched towards the end

though the concept of Etro choosing lightning as her guardian at the end of XIII and what lightning turns into is pretty sick. All in all, I;d give it a 6-7.5, depending on my mood, def not as good storywise as XIII
---
Deus Ex: When you mention it, someone is going to reinstall it.
#2lightdragoon88Posted 5/21/2013 8:42:32 PM
I like the story, but I agree it was confusing at first.

But reading all the datalogs and doing a second playthrough, it all made sense.
---
My favorite League of Legend Champion: http://i.imgur.com/xx0hSNV.png
http://i.imgur.com/Q7BrWKG.png
#3Furikuri_flclPosted 5/24/2013 7:55:13 PM
It suffers from the same issue as XIII. It hides away all the important info in the datalog and presents the player with nothing but uninteresting fluff.
---
Now Playing: Picdun, Xenoblade Chronicles, Luminous Arc 2, Virtue's Last Reward.
#4KojaxFXPosted 5/24/2013 11:02:15 PM
haha i have no idea what FF 13 is about
#5CatMutoPosted 5/25/2013 1:01:13 AM(edited)
Furikuri_flcl posted...
It suffers from the same issue as XIII. It hides away all the important info in the datalog and presents the player with nothing but uninteresting fluff.

I thought XIII and XIII-2 gave me enough important plot stuff in the story itself. I remember trying to read the Datalog in XIII fully through, especially the Analects I got from certain Cie'th Missions and I just couldn't. It was uninteresting boring stuff put in, just to say that everything - including the birth of Vanilla and Fang - was all planned out hundreds or thousands of years ago. Something like that.

As for XIII-2, it's a story about time travel.
Time travel is very hard to write as you have to consider a ton of things. You can't just go and say, "We'll have them go back to this time and do this to prevent this from happening" because that one thing could be connected to a ton of other things. (Example, people saying they would go back in time to kill Hitler before he became powerful. If they did that, congratulations, you just doomed an entire generation of humans to cease to exist.)

As for the whole Yule and Caius thing.... they're plot devices and, for Yule in Noel's case, a character-device to give Noel more depth. He doesn't have much personality other than being from a bad future and wanting to correct it, oh, and he was in love with Yule.
That one. You know, the AF 700 one.

And as for what XIII is about... it's about trying to avoid the fate given to you and failing miserably. (The ending is not a miracle, it's fate)

C-A
---
"If sense were common, everyone would have it."
The gamer who dislikes FF VII, OoT and similar and isn't afraid to admit it
#6MasterZoenPosted 5/28/2013 9:41:44 PM
I have to agree with CatMuto for the most part. The story plot of XIII was fairly well driven and actually felt like there was more plot because characters would talk to one another as you explored the map. I didn't believe the ending represented "Fate," however, as the story and "true" ending of XIII-2 demonstrated that it was a miracle allowed by Etro, who was impressed by the will and courage of the party to oppose the Falcie implemented "Fate."

As for somethings not making much sense for being included in XIII-2, you'd need to be a whole lot more specific about which parts. I had no problems with the narration with the single exception that occasionally the conversations between the chars would get interupted by a paradox monster warping in, and then it wouldn't continue after the battle. This was especially annoying during Academia 400 AF the first time you arrive. Had to enable subtitles to get the majority of it.
---
100%: Mass Effect 1+2, DA: Origins, Fallout 3, TES4 , AC 2, X-Men Destiny
#7lindaluvPosted 5/30/2013 1:31:41 PM
Just read this

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/619315-final-fantasy-xiii-2/62060434

While it is obviously humorous and a parody, it is pretty accurate and gives a general synopsis of the core story behind the game.
---
MolaMadara : Punkin (200 - Strider) - http://i.imgur.com/peZhp.jpg
MulaMadara : Deneb (25 - Sorc)
#8CatMutoPosted 5/31/2013 4:37:39 AM
MasterZoen posted...
I have to agree with CatMuto for the most part. The story plot of XIII was fairly well driven and actually felt like there was more plot because characters would talk to one another as you explored the map. I didn't believe the ending represented "Fate," however, as the story and "true" ending of XIII-2 demonstrated that it was a miracle allowed by Etro, who was impressed by the will and courage of the party to oppose the Falcie implemented "Fate."

I agree, but it depends on what part you say was the miracle. The fact that they didn't remain in Crystal Stasis the whole time, then yes, that part was a miracle on Etro's side. As for the entire thing with Ragnarok and Cocoon being supported on a crystal pillar, that was their focus to begin with. Just look at the ending and their vision of their focus at the end of Chapter 2 and you'll see that they are the same thing

C-A
#9ajmrowland1Posted 5/31/2013 10:19:59 PM
The datalog in XIII suffered from too much repetition, Some was nice backstory. The anaelcts were particularly interesting and contributed to the ending, but otherwise not much there.

XIII-2's more interesting parts are in the fragments section(poems and character povs), with the datalog repeatjng and clearing up some small amounts of info and expanding on characters we know that havent appeared in the game, like Rygdea.
#10ajmrowland1Posted 5/31/2013 10:21:58 PM
And the analects in xiii heavily hinted that etro would be the one to send the miracle in the end.