Does this game require you to...

#1C4ZMaxWaveGunPosted 6/22/2013 9:55:35 AM
intentionally boost your Crystarium stats in order to just finish the story? After collecting 160 fragments on my main save, I decided to run through the story again on my new save file. The final fight where you fight those 3 Bahamuts took me 31 mins. Isn't it too slow? Perhaps I was underleveled? Noel had about 400+ attack and Serah had about 350+ magic. HP for Noel was like 3,100+ and for Serah it was 2,500+. I'm just curious. I had to switch up to Easy difficulty as I don't think I would've managed to beat it on Normal without farming CP.
#2e4joshPosted 6/22/2013 10:08:25 AM
C4ZMaxWaveGun posted...
intentionally boost your Crystarium stats in order to just finish the story? After collecting 160 fragments on my main save, I decided to run through the story again on my new save file. The final fight where you fight those 3 Bahamuts took me 31 mins. Isn't it too slow? Perhaps I was underleveled? Noel had about 400+ attack and Serah had about 350+ magic. HP for Noel was like 3,100+ and for Serah it was 2,500+. I'm just curious. I had to switch up to Easy difficulty as I don't think I would've managed to beat it on Normal without farming CP.

To be honest, it took me 27 minutes in my 1st playthrough, I think the game was made for you to fight the 3 Bahamut's to be a lengthy and tough battle. Personally, I enjoy fighting boss battles and struggling, sounds odd I know, but at the same time it gives the impression of a hard challenge, and that the final boss is very superior. Being a bit over leveled ruins it for me, well, that's my opinion anyway, I think you did just fine
---
@JoshuaMarshy tweeeeeeet
#3tiornysPosted 6/22/2013 11:42:09 AM(edited)
No, this game does not even come close to requiring you to boost your stats to finish the story. Having good strategies will do more for your battle results than having better stats. Combining good strategies with better monster allies will do much more than boosting Noel and Serah's stats.

With this in mind, let's take a closer look at the 3x Bahamut fight. The fight has an interesting structure: to win, you must kill Jet Bahamut. However, you can only attack Jet Bahamut when both Amber and Garnet Bahamut are dead. And, of course, Jet Bahamut has the ability to resurrect Amber and Garnet.

Therefore, an efficient approach to the fight involves maximizing the amount of time spent attacking Jet (or at least insuring sufficient time against him), and maximizing the effectiveness of the time spent attacking Jet.

To maximize our attack time, we need to understand what controls Jet's resurrection of Amber and Garnet. The major clue is the first boss fight of this episode against Pacos Amethyst and Pacos Luvulite. The Pacos will revive the other within a short time of the other's death, so it is necessary to kill the second shortly after the first. In similar fashion, Jet reportedly starts a timer when you kill off the first of Amber or Garnet; when the time is up, he will resurrect them. Therefore, we can gain more time to face Jet each cycle if we kill off Amber and Garnet within moments of each other, although any efficient kill of the second Bahamut after taking out the first will give us plenty of time to face Jet.

To maximize the effectiveness of the time spent attacking Jet, we want to employ any resources available for enhancing damage. These include: staggering Jet and raising his chain post-stagger, Deprotect, Deshell, Bravery, Faith, and the combination of Imperil to create elemental weaknesses and any En-spell to allow our COMs to exploit those weaknesses.

It turns out that the combination of these resources is more than sufficient to kill Jet within a single stagger during our first chance to attack him, even at relatively meager development. Consequently, we have no need to worry about the extremely dangerous attacks that Jet will begin to use after the first resurrection cycle. We simply plan to kill him before he gets that chance.

Here is a video where I use these principles to complete the fight in under 4 minutes at somewhat low development (HP for Serah ~2000, Noel ~2500), with monster allies that are relatively easy to obtain and level to the point used: http://youtu.be/_IyrJpC5lyo

And here's a video (from the PSSR) where the fight is completed in just over 2 minutes with extremely low development of Serah and Noel (~1200 and 1700 HP), but much stronger monster allies: http://youtu.be/OYG0taG4lb0
---
http://etrosgate.com/
#4C4ZMaxWaveGun(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2013 3:43:38 PM
That trick where you kill one boss shortly after the other is exactly what I did when fighting those giraffe-like Pacos creatures. One could keep reviving the other, so I thought it'd be wise if I bring either Amethyst or Luvulite's HP down to like 5%, then focus on killing the other and right after he's dead, I finish off the one with low HP. I didn't really know I could adapt that for the final fight. When it comes to Jet Bahamut, I usually stick Deprotect and Poison, then stagger him and go with COMx3.
#5C4ZMaxWaveGun(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2013 3:49:03 PM
@tiornys Oh, and thanks for your detailed response, I'll definitely have to look up that vid as I'm very curious to find out how did he end the fight so quickly with such low HP.
#6tiornysPosted 6/23/2013 4:40:42 AM
You're welcome. If you have any questions about why something was done the way it was in the videos, or about how something worked, please don't hesitate to ask.
---
http://etrosgate.com/