7 hours in... it isn't bad.

#1Kou-NurasakaPosted 6/27/2013 6:55:01 PM
I'll be honest, I found this in a bargain bin for $20 bucks new and said "what the hey" so I gave it a buy. After 7 hours in, visiting Oerba, I'm actually fairly impressed. I wasn't impressed at all by XIII, but XIII-2 seems to actually be fairly decent. Part of me wishes I didn't know anything about XIII to keep the mystery more impressive.

I expected this game to be roughly the same calibur as XIII, but it is much better. The lack of handholding in the Crystarium, level selection, and even monster choice is all much appreciated. Also, Serah is far more interesting than she was in XIII.

I've heard the story is wonky, but it can't be worse than XIII, which had no plot.
#2LewdDolphin21Posted 6/27/2013 7:00:47 PM
In general, people who didn't enjoy XIII tend to enjoy XIII-2. It must be said that XIII-2 is lacking in the difficulty department, however.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Saperogo
http://etrosgate.com/
#3gzus_ADPosted 6/27/2013 7:38:16 PM
I'm trudging through this game because I paid for it ($20). I enjoyed FF13 (platinumed), but I can't find any sense of enjoyment from this game. The main problem is the characters--I hate Sera, Noel, and Mog. They're incessantly annoying, especially Mog. The narrative is a mess, so much so that I'm just skipping through all the cutscenes. Battles are ridiculously easy. I hate the Mog Throw mechanism. Maybe the game will pick up (I'm currently in Academia), but I'm not getting my hopes up.

It seems the developers took all the criticism from FF13 and tried to rectify them, yet failed horribly. Rather than a narrative-driven, linear game, they tried to make it more open, but in doing so made things unnecessarily convoluted. I'm more excited about the FFXHD remake than the upcoming FF13-3.
---
[PSN]: stray_dog_strut
End all war now // I write @ http://writersbloq.com/frank-noh
#4_Itachi_Uchiha_Posted 6/27/2013 7:46:03 PM
I enjoyed both. In fact, FFXIII and FFXIII-2 are not only my favorite FF games, but they're my favorite games, period. I know, it sounds strange.

When I first bought these games, I thought to myself "they're probably going to be alright but no where near IV/VI/VII," which were my previous favorites in the series (and considering that FF is my favorite game series, it's easy to say that my favorite FF games will be among my favorite games in general).

However, I'm hoping that FFXV will come soon and overtake XIII/XIII-2 for the top spot.
---
YMTFB
#5Kou-Nurasaka(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2013 9:31:03 PM
LewdDolphin21 posted...
In general, people who didn't enjoy XIII tend to enjoy XIII-2. It must be said that XIII-2 is lacking in the difficulty department, however.

I actually thought XIII added in too much difficulty, especially with the whole party leader dead/game over thing. That was the only thing that made XIII anywhere near difficult (which was more frustrating) that and the locked Crystarium (which was beyond frustrating as well).
#6KulthPosted 6/28/2013 4:54:49 PM
I don't see how a locked Crystarium is frustrating in any way other than "Omg, I can't grind for hours in Chapter 1 to completely max out my Crystarium!" Well, granted, it would take longer than mere hours, but you and I both know that with an unlocked Crystarium, you'd have people setting up their controllers and grinding to have overpowered characters in Chapter 1. That's the only part about having a limit on how far you can grow can be frustrating for the player.

Again, I have to wonder how many people who keep spouting "no plot" about XIII are literary experts themselves. I always thought the plot was more about finding themselves as who they are, and escaping a inescapable destiny, though not so much inescapable towards the end. That isn't to say that I think the story was flawless, but I cannot see how anyone can remotely think the story in XIII-2 is any better than it was in XIII. I mean... XIII-2 has time travel in the story...

-Sigh- I haven't even beaten XIII-2 yet because it's such a tedious bore. The dialogue in the live triggers and otherwise is horrible. During cutscenes in the story, you see Serah voice her thoughts on stuff with her genius level intellect that she uses as a grade school teacher for a village of surfer dudes. (No, really.)

Then, you enter a Live trigger with Noel. All options paint Serah as a ditzy, young blonde. "Teehee!" She can figure out the Oracle drive, but you select "Wait, did we go into the future?" and suddenly Serah has lost her ability to comprehend what is happening around her.

The story, as far as I've seen into it, isn't that great either. I've seen anime in the ecchi/harem genre with a better story than this.

XIII was too hard because if the leader died, you got a game over and were forced to retry. (Oh no.) So, fast forward to XIII-2 where the only real challenging fights are in... DLC. Okay.

Biggest complaint with XIII? "Auto battle plays the game for you!" XIII-2's so easy that you can play it blind and still win effortlessly. Also, phoenix downs give your party member protective buffs now when used! Isn't that great! No more difficulty!

All in all, I still greatly prefer XIII over XIII-2. Monster allies are cool and all, but that isn't enough to win me over.
---
PSN: spc_warnack
#7Kou-Nurasaka(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2013 6:38:07 PM
Yeah, mabe you are right about the limited Crystarium, but is that a fault of the gamers who would take advantage of it, or the people who designed the game. It was far too limiting. You could argue the same thing about FFX or FFXII and neither one of those games was made any easier by the leveling system being very free and liberating. Grinding was still possible, but it didn't ruin the game.

Also, the aspect of story has nothing to do with the marvels of literature. A story doesn't have to be the next "Tragedy of Doctor Faustus" or "Paradise Lost" to be well written. I'm actually a graduate English scholar, so I like to think I know something about the merits of literature. The story in XIII didn't exsist. I played the game to the final dungeon, and I still didn't know what Barthandalus' goals were... at all. Yeah, the story was about the characters finding themselves, but none of them really did. They were more or less the same as when they started. The story just didn't have any oomph to it.
#8digidevilwilPosted 6/28/2013 6:40:01 PM
The major flaw to this game is the difficulty.

After having played an NCU run, if this game had better balance where you were actually forced/encouraged to utilize the monster system, this would easily be one of the most brilliant RPGs, because the utilization of the game system and monster mechanics required in NCU are beyond amazing and are actually fun challenges to overcome, as opposed to other RPGs that just become tedious repetition of basic patterns when being challenged or doing self impose challenges.
---
PSN: PandaKingEX
#9tiornysPosted 6/28/2013 10:16:10 PM
digidevilwil posted...
The major flaw to this game is the difficulty.

After having played an NCU run, if this game had better balance where you were actually forced/encouraged to utilize the monster system, this would easily be one of the most brilliant RPGs, because the utilization of the game system and monster mechanics required in NCU are beyond amazing and are actually fun challenges to overcome, as opposed to other RPGs that just become tedious repetition of basic patterns when being challenged or doing self impose challenges.

Did you see the PSSR? It has similarities to NCU, but it has its own character thanks to the limited Crystarium development plus the desire to find monsters that are highly efficient to develop. There's a thread about it on this forum, or you can just check it out here: http://etrosgate.com/ffxiii-2/challenges/pssr
---
http://etrosgate.com/
#10KulthPosted 6/28/2013 11:29:21 PM(edited)
Kou-Nurasaka posted...
The story in XIII didn't exsist. I played the game to the final dungeon, and I still didn't know what Barthandalus' goals were... at all. Yeah, the story was about the characters finding themselves, but none of them really did. They were more or less the same as when they started. The story just didn't have any oomph to it.

How is it possible that you do NOT know what Barthandelus' goals were? I thought it was fairly obvious when he kept goading the L'cie to kill Orphan and bring about Cocoon's demise, causing a massive rush of souls to flood the gate and slam it wide open if only for a second so that the Fal'cie could once again meet their Maker.

That was pretty much his entire goal in the game. Convince l'cie to bring about Cocoon's destruction so that he could meet the Maker.

It's similar to Toguro from YuYu Hakusho killing people and trying to goad Yusuke into unleashing his true power so that he could be killed in battle.

Again, I'm not saying XIII's story was flawless or perfect, but the example you brought up about Barthandelus' goals is a rather shoddy way of trying to attack the story when his goal was pretty much plastered in your face since Chapter 9.
---
PSN: spc_warnack