pssr suggestions

#1fphjr01Posted 10/28/2013 5:05:53 PM
Board is relatively dead and this probably belongs on etro's gate but figured I'd post here anyway. First, thanks to the suggestors of the pssr -- just finished up the main game and it was fun. Really added some challenge / intrigue back into the game. Some thoughts for posterity / anyone who might run through this in the future:

1. Never really understood the timing of when to get lucky coin. The guide suggests to do this ~mid-game and It's coincident with when the wild artifact is purchased, potentially saving some cash, but I was never cash constrained and I bought it straight up without winnings from lucky coin. If this is the "last" wild artifact, just hold off on opening sunleth 400 until you can buy it -- you'll have all the wilds you need to open the gates you need following the guide otherwise. The guide doesn't direct the player through sunleth 400 until near the very end and the fragments aren't required for any skills. No reason lucky coin can't be the absolute last thing to be done with this approach. If you need a little extra cash, one more raspatil fight takes less than 5min of time. Lastly (and I may be wrong on the mechanics) but you might be able to take advantage of "beginner's luck" status by closing the gate once you get the seal very late in the game to up your odds for the first jackpot.

2. I don't have the DLC but it seemed to me that quite a bit of time can be saved by building tonberry and cactuar once, the way you ultimately want them, rather than building / capturing them each multiple times. There's also opportunity to use fewer monsters and way less potent orbs. Consider the following:
#2fphjr01(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 5:13:55 PM
Tonberry build (etro's guide method)

role resonance
str +35%
mag +35%
gilfinder II
atk: atb charge 2
critical: vigilance
item collector
ally ko: power surge II
item scavenger II
resist deprotect +10%

Of the above, crit: vigilance and resist depro 10 are useless and are come-along abilities. In particular, crit: vigilance is a huge annoyance brought about from microchu to get item scavenger II. Attack atb charge is only marginally useful without siphon boost, which is difficult to get on via this infusion approach. In the guide, tonberry is infused as is into cactuar and cactuar is then rebuilt for the DLC. Rather than do this, I suggest the following approach to build tonberry and cactuar properly the first time through. The rebuilt cactuar for DLC is:

resist phys 36% (YL)
resist mag 36% (YL)
str +35% (YL)
hp +25% (YL)
role resonance (YL)
ally ko: power surge II (YL)
siphon boost II (YL)
atk: atb charge II (YL)
auto-bravery
gilfinder II

The abilities than tonberry needs while it is used are:

role resonance
str 35
mag 35
gilfinder II

All the others are bonus but not required to perform tonberry-specific tasks as near as I can tell. With that in mind, my suggested approach is the following:
#3fphjr01(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 5:28:42 PM
Level 30 tonberry has the following abilities:

str 35
mag 35

Step 1: level frag leech to 30 and infuse into tonberry (as suggested by etro's gate), carrying faultsiphon and blindside, then infuse orion lvl 13 (adrenaline) to get:

role resonance
str 35
mag 35

Step 2: capture "carriers" for hp, str, and magic abilities. I suggest hoplite (already have it) for resist phys and unsaganashi for resist mag. infuse a hp+ ability into unsaganashi -- luminous puma is a decent choice -- you likely have a junk monster so just look for anything.

Step 3: level mewmao to 23 (66 orbs, 3 essences) and green chocobo to 48 (25 droplets, 42 slivers, 32 orbs, 3 essences). Infuse mewmao into unsaganashi (locking hp +25% and resist magic +36%) and green chocobo into hoplite (locking resist physical +36%)

Step 4: infuse unsaganashi, hoplite, and two moblins into tonberry to obtain:

hp +25% (YL)
resist physical +36% (YL)
resist magic +36% (YL)
gilfinder II (YL)
role resonance
str +35%
mag +35%

Step 5: infuse yeoman into a monster with atk: atb charge to create a yellow-locked atk: atb charge II. Lots of choices (apkallu, reaver, barbed spectre, pitterpatter, hedge frog -- all lvl 1). Infuse that monster into tonberry for:

hp +25% (YL)
resist magic +36% (YL)
gilfinder II (YL)
role resonance
str +35%
mag +35%

Your tonberry is now done. There's no item collector / scavenger II, but you don't NEED these abilities really for any battle, so you can keep apotamkin as your primary farmer. For immortal, just swap out apotamkin for buccaboo ace and use yakshini's feral link for buffs instead, and finish the battle with apotamkin to up your chances for weapon drops (which again are needed only for DLC)
#4fphjr01(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 5:51:01 PM
When its time for cactuar, proceed as follows:

Step 1: Level cactuar to 44 only -- this avoids learning auto-bravery which isn't all that useful, especially in a DLC battle. You give up 14 (or really14 * 1.35 str), which amounts to <1% total damage. No big deal.

Step 2: Level chunerpeton to 2 (note you don't need to get to lvl 15 as guide suggests, saving 30 potent / power orbs) and infuse into cactuar, carrying lifesiphon. Cactuar now has:

resist slow +66%
siphon boost
critical bravery

Step 3: infuse fencer level 18 (or the carrier you made if you were following the guide, just make sure NOT to learn quick stagger) to get:

siphon boost II (YL)
str +20%
resist slow +66%
critical bravery

Step 4: capture sarracenia and level to 40 (droplets and slivers which you should have an abundance of at the end). Sarracenia will have 3 red locks, which is exactly what we need. Infuse tonberry into sarracenia (carry faultsiphon and blindside) to get sarracenia as follows:

feral surge (RL)
ally ko: power surge II (RL)
pack mentality (RL)
hp +25% (YL)
resist magic +36% (YL)
gilfinder II (YL)
role resonance
str +35%

Unfortunately, ally ko: power surge II will be lost with this approach, but we can trivially restore ally ko: power surge onto cactuar, and if the extra 20% (power surge 1 = 110%, power surge 2 = 130%) is absolutely essential to success (unlikely), you can always capture tonberry again to get it back on with some effort. The three red locks is what you need to bump off magic +35%, which is what we were after.

Step 5: infuse sarracenia into cactuar, carrying adrenaline, faultsiphon and blindside. Cactuar now looks like:

str +35% (YL)
hp +25% (YL)
resist magic +36% (YL)
gilfinder II (YL)
siphon boost II (YL)
role resonance
resist slow +66%
critical bravery

How you proceed from here is up to you. One suggestion would be to infuse apotamkin with a YL item scavenger II to make a farming cactuar. I like to use calautidon rather than microchu because you don't need 30 orbs and you don't have to deal with critical vigilance. Suggest to capture the first calautidon right before/after you hunt for sahagin prince after taking down mutantomato and come back for the 2nd at the end when you have encounter master and battlemania. Farming cactuar would then look like:

str +35% (YL)
hp +25% (YL)
resist magic +36% (YL)
gilfinder II (YL)
siphon boost II (YL)
item scavenger II (YL)
role resonance
item collector

If you want ally ko: power surge, you can simply infuse it instead and the end of step 5 using lvl 1 ceratoraptor to bump off critical bravery (its a lvl 5 ability). You can also YL ally ko: power surge with two ceratoraptors to get:

str +35% (YL)
hp +25% (YL)
resist magic +36% (YL)
gilfinder II (YL)
siphon boost II (YL)
ally ko: power surge (YL)
item scavenger II (YL)
role resonance

Which has everything the DLC etro cactuar has, save item scavenger II for auto-bravery (which shouldn't be used anyway -- no need to lead with a com) and the 110% ko boost vs. 130%.
#5fphjr01(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 7:15:17 PM
One last suggestion: get your pair of hermes sandals for paradox scope caius / noel fight from metallicactuar instead of tonberry / don tonberry. Much quicker to kill, especially with a munchkin (or stronger) feral link. 5% drop is 2.5x and 1.66x more likely than from tonberry / don tonberry, respectively.
#6psicomelitePosted 10/28/2013 10:40:24 PM
Just wanted to say that the 'minimalist' Cactuar build and to a lesser extent the Lucky Coin section are to accommodate the speed run aspect and prioritize only the completion of the challenge. Since you simply don't need a tricked-out Cactuar to get 160/160, there's no reason to bother going that far. If you want to go beyond and get to that full Cactuar build, then sure, you can probably chart a more efficient path.

As for your other comments, things like Auto-Bravery and Ally KO II offer definite advantages when DLC comes into play. I know that doesn't apply to you, but just wanted to point that out.
---
Valfodr Lv. 99 - 4:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H7akDZJMEg
#7fphjr01(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 5:49:46 AM
Good feedback pse. If anyone wants to stay true to max speed thru dlc then the rebuild is definitely inefficient. May want to call that out in the guide although I appreciate the hassle of having "dual path" speed run instructions.

Keeping ally ko II and auto brave is doable. In that case I would follow steps above and filter through proto behemoth rather than sarracenia. Proto may require a few resets to capture but has 3 red locks at level one. When building tonberry skip step 5 (adding atk atb II) and just YL ally ko before tonberry is leveled up. Proto will then have the following 7 from tonberry

Hp 25
Resist phy 36
Resist mag 36
Ally ko II
Gil II
Role res
Str 35

All but the last two are YL. Upon passing proto into cactuar (lvl to 45) you get the desired result. Add a single yeoman to replace resist slow with atk atb II and you're almost done. Sarracenia was originally chosen to cheaply pass the 3 com abilities (faultsiphon blindside adrenaline). With this you'll have to add those separately. A second frag leech would work and YL role res.
#8fphjr01(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 6:31:28 PM
Few more comments re: cactuar / tonberry. Serah vs. Caius and Caius Oerba (paradox scope versions) are both easier to dispatch with cactuar vs. tonberry. Main point is cactuar has 5 atb vs. 4, 1500+ str vs. ~1290 mag, and it is much easier to get bravery (from goblin chieftain or auto) than trying to get faith either from stealing it with vespid soldier or using another feral link.

For Oerba Caius, I finished in ~1:20 (vs. 1:45 video time) and for Void Beyond I finished in 1:35 (vs. video time of 2:25). No huge time savings for speed run purposes, but faster battle for sure. You can also substitute cloudburst for buccaboo ace / vespid soldier for faster chain building and more health.
#9fphjr01(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 3:56:04 PM
Well, that was lucky. Finished the main game PSSR in 20:28. After hours of attempting lucky coin and barely getting to SVM, only to lose it within 5 turns, tops, I got two jackpots in SVM and the frag with ~13 min off the clock. Nice.

Don't plan on chasing it, but under 20 hrs seems entirely possible. I felt like I was reasonably quick but not stressing for time at any point, and with the exception of bodhum 003 and bresha 005 I got the all the live trigger rewards.

Biggest chunk of time savings I think was avoiding / substituting monsters that need potent orbs to level. I skipped both microchus, the second apotamkin, didn't level sahagin prince at all, only leveled chunerpeton to 2, etc. I also recommend maxing cloudburst with all the surplus boosters you get, in particular the drops from farming yeoman's for atk: atb chg II. 1100+ mag with a pair of -aga's works well against late game packs and eliminates the need for buccaboo ace.

Thanks again to etro's gate for the suggestion and the guide. Really made the game fun and much less broken.