Man....this game beats the s*** out of ffxiii. WAY Better than I thought

#1chaoscatzeroPosted 2/24/2014 10:18:20 PM
I just KNEW going into this that this game was going to be crap and that I would be hating every second of it.

I had played the first ffxiii before, got freaking bored a little of the way into it. When This game came out and is saw they had a new main character, and heard the boss battle music and everything I said to myself I would never even bother playing this.

I only picked it up because I wanted to play lightning returns so I wanted to be caught up on the story plus it was really cheap and there was a really good deal.

But wow , I was really pleasantly surprised. They fixed some(but not all) the problems with the previous game ie side quests, dialogue choices, actual stuff to do in the environment, not dying when your leader dies, not having Hope or snow in the main party, letting you actually choose what order you want to do things to some extent like it's an actual GAME and not just a very long cutscene.

The environments and music are great, I mean even the boss battle music, while being horrible on its own, ends up working in the actual fights and the rest of the soundtrack the story is...engaging at the very least, cool concepts, the dialogue isn't as terrible and cringeworthy as one would expect from a jrpg(though it definitely has it's moments)

Plus they seemed to almost entirely ditch everything from the last game aside from cameos, hell they've even retconned(yeah I know it's not an actual retcon) actual plot points from the first game and the game benefitted from it.

I mean it's not like amazing but it's been a thoroughly enjoyable experience despite some issues. I'm glad I decided to play it instead of just writing it off.
#2RachenarPosted 2/25/2014 6:09:24 AM
Yeah it's pretty darn good, I was also pleasantly surprised. It's a little short ( 20 hours for the main story) but I'm at 45 hours right now doing sidequests and trying to get all the fragments. I'm having more fun with post-game stuff than I did playing through the main story! This game is arguably one of the finest that SE have released in a while.
---
Do you believe that your consciousness can affect the behavior of subatomic particles?
~ Nathaniel Sr. from 'Six Feet Under'
#3chaoscatzero(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2014 1:34:57 PM(edited)
I'm not done with the story yet, but from what I know of it, it seems to be progressing REALLY fast. But other than that

After playing some more, I'm going to go even further. The only thing holding back this game from being like "incredibly awesome" or top tier is the shallowness of the worlds

Like the worlds are very pretty, but they're mostly uninteractable set pieces and doll houses that you can't do anything in. Plus each area only has(other than innocuous fetch quests) one thing to do. One linear quest per area and once it's done there's nothing to do anymore. Everyone stands around. You can't progress anything. Talking has no affect. It might as well not exist anymore

It's a series of vignettes and cutscenes stitched together into a game

I would go as far as to say this game would be pretty much "perfect" if there was just more to do in it. More stuff going on, more openness in the world, more characters, more people to interact with in a meaningful way, places outside of towns and segmented areas to explore. It only has one, very tightly focused story to tell about a few characters and nothing of interest happening. They're still doing that "movie instead of game" thing

Basically if they combined this with ffxii and expanded on it, this would be one of the best games I've ever played. It's a little sad.

Still enjoying the game for what it does have though. It's just a pleasurable experience to play

Also did I mention the soundtrack? Because this soundtrack is orgasmic
#4MetaunPosted 3/2/2014 12:27:40 AM
While not all games are for everyone FFXIII's main appeal was it's combat system and driven story. I didn't enjoy it much at first myself, but replaying it, I've done about 40 out of 64ish missions and having a blast.

FFXIII-2 has a city or two, and the DLC pack helps expand the world a tiny bit. Intense Fight Quests that make a somewhat easy game push it's limits, fun Poker games, and a reinvented battle system for a quick post-game storyline fight. Even bare; it's an intensely fun game and has more air to breathe really.
---
The first thing a god masters is itself.
Legion is a Badass. So is Mordin.
#5chaoscatzero(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2014 1:57:35 AM(edited)
Ffxiii's appeal was supposed to be the combat? Really? Because that's one of the more annoying aspects of the game. I mean, sure, it's a very natural progression of the atb system, taking it to the "next level" in terms of what you can do with it. It's amazing that they managed to make the atb system feel dynamic and play out like a real fight/action sequence. I give them props for that.

But the fights all take too long(BECAUSE THE CHARACTERS SIT AROUND TWIDDLING THEIR THUMBS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING), the leader death aspect is stupid, and the combat further emphasizes the "watching a movie instead of a game" aspect for several reasons I'm sure have been well discussed at this point.

After awhile it just felt like a chore. Sitting around, looking at the screen, with one hand resting on my chin, mashing the a button until everything dies, and waiting for the characters to get the memo that I ordered them to do that. Bosses were more tedious then hard, as it was only a matter of how long I had to mash a, or how often I had to take breaks from throwing countless balls of light at the enemy to throw countless balls of light at myself to heal.
#6tiornysPosted 3/2/2014 2:38:58 AM
chaoscatzero posted...
and the combat further emphasizes the "watching a movie instead of a game" aspect for several reasons I'm sure have been well discussed at this point.

"Well" discussed? No. Reasons have been bandied about based upon misunderstandings and misconceptions, and largely found lacking when subjected to any serious analysis. Case in point: your contention that battles in FFXIII take forever and consist of highly repetitive sequences with minimal player input. Yes, I'm sure that's how you experienced the game, but that's largely a consequence of the strategies you chose to use, much as I might find it boring if I chose to grind levels and spam nothing but Fight and Cure in a different Final Fantasy game. These are not intrinsic features of the battle systems.
---
http://etrosgate.com/
#7chaoscatzero(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2014 4:34:38 AM(edited)
You didn't really make a case or a point so much as say "you are wrong" but uh, right, okay....
#8Krazoa2Posted 3/2/2014 6:23:45 AM
chaoscatzero posted...
You didn't really make a case or a point so much as say "you are wrong" but uh, right, okay....

He said your claim is wrong because there are multiple ways of playing the game and the way you chose to play happened to be the s****y boring way which is why you think the combat sucks.

Through my experiences, I felt I had to focus too much on the menus and wasn't really able to see the animations often enough, which is the exact opposite of the "movie instead of a game" situation.

Also, try to not knock "JRPGs" as a whole in the future, because it only makes you look ignorant.
---
I don't even read -YouStillHateMe
#9LewdDolphin21Posted 3/2/2014 6:47:51 AM(edited)
chaoscatzero posted...
But the fights all take too long(BECAUSE THE CHARACTERS SIT AROUND TWIDDLING THEIR THUMBS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING)

Is this a criticism of the ATB system? Because that has been a staple of the FF series since FF4. Previous FFs are worse than XIII in that regard; each player waits a period of time in order to execute one ability, unlike the several you can potentially do in one string in XIII/XIII-2. I'm also unsure how XIII-2 fixes this since it's the same combat system as XIII. In fact, XIII-2 is worse off because you have no direct means of casting Haste on your party.
---
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Saperogo | Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/lewddolphin
http://etrosgate.com/
#10chaoscatzero(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2014 9:49:03 AM(edited)
I wanted to talk about how great THIS game is , not how bad the last one was. *sigh*

Krazoa2 posted...
chaoscatzero posted...

He said your claim is wrong because there are multiple ways of playing the game and the way you chose to play happened to be the s****y boring way which is why you think the combat sucks.

Through my experiences, I felt I had to focus too much on the menus and wasn't really able to see the animations often enough, which is the exact opposite of the "movie instead of a game" situation.

Also, try to not knock "JRPGs" as a whole in the future, because it only makes you look ignorant.

What is this "other way" not being sarcastic I'm legit curious. If I can make the game more fun for myself then great.

Cuz from what I've seen there isn't even anything to focus on in the menus. Limited insignificant options . You have to pick the same option multiple times if you want to make an impact. Switching classes(the only real choice you need to make) takes less than a second and you only need to do it every once in awhile. Limited items. Summons can only be used every once in awhile.

Most if the time you'll be doing the same things over and over so you can either choose repeat or choose auto battle which more often than not has exactly what you want.

Plus all that other stuff I said.

Also I didn't say anything about jrpgs as a whole. The closest I came is saying that "grinding is something in most RPGs" which is leagues away from what you said. I mean, it seems you read what I said but didn't bother read it all at the same time.

LewdDolphin21 posted...
chaoscatzero posted...
But the fights all take too long(BECAUSE THE CHARACTERS SIT AROUND TWIDDLING THEIR THUMBS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING)

Is this a criticism of the ATB system?

Nah just this game and on top of the rest of the divorce from control you have.

In previous ffs the only time you had to wait was before a really big attack, and after an attacks which is different and in other ffs you can actually GO AND DO OTHER THINGS while that character is doing stuff.