Vita won't charge off of my laptop charger?

#1MilkTastesGreatPosted 3/19/2012 3:03:08 PM
My laptop charger has a USB charger built into it. It's pumping out 5V, 1A, vs. PS Vita's charger which is 5V, 1.5A.

I have the "charge via USB" option (or something like that in the settings) checked.

The Vita will charge using my laptop's USB port, though that's only 5V, 0.5A...

Why won't it charge using 5V and 1A, whereas it can charge using only 5V and 0.5A?
#2MilkTastesGreat(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2012 3:09:53 PM
By the way, I am aware that the Vita must be in standby / powered off when charging (and the PS button will glow orange if charging).

That's how I know that it's charging through the computer USB port (5V/0.5A). But that orange light never comes on when I connect it to my laptop charger's USB port (5V/1.0A). The port isn't broken, as I can charge other USB devices with it.
#3iDoneGotUPosted 3/19/2012 3:12:19 PM
MilkTastesGreat posted...
By the way, I am aware that the Vita must be in standby / powered off when charging (and the PS button will glow orange if charging).

That's how I know that it's charging through the computer USB port (5V/0.5A). But that orange light never comes on when I connect it to my laptop charger's USB port (5V/1.0A). The port isn't broken, as I can charge other USB devices with it.

Vita charges in any mode, as long as its battery is not full. You can use it and charge it...And I think the Vita charger requires that you use the OEM charger combo, and not a false setup.
#4CBratePosted 3/19/2012 4:08:29 PM
I've heard of people having success with unofficial car adapters by shorting the data contacts.
Similar problem?
---
To all the trolls out there, I have 87users on my ignore list. Come at me.
My list needs to grow...
#5MilkTastesGreat(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2012 4:45:24 PM

Vita charges in any mode, as long as its battery is not full. You can use it and charge it...

I don't think so, with low amp such as 0.5A. I mean yea, it shows an orange light, but I doubt it's actually charging.

And I think the Vita charger requires that you use the OEM charger combo, and not a false setup.

Bah... I don't want to have to carry two adapters around; damn Sony.

I've heard of people having success with unofficial car adapters by shorting the data contacts.
Similar problem?

That *could* be an issue; Vita may require data connection via USB to charge, even if false (e.g. OEM charger has the data connectors going nowhere but connected). No idea why...
#6gray_fox_00Posted 3/19/2012 5:04:43 PM
I used the PSP Go modded USB extension method (short the data wires on the female side together and cap the other side off) and it works just fine with the Vita. Any car charger, power brick, wall charger, or USB charge port seems to work.

I've been using the one I made for my Go ever since I found out it had the same set up as the Vita (2 weeks). Use at your own discretion though as there's always a chance of damage using modded cables.
---
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice
#7MilkTastesGreat(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2012 7:10:35 AM

I used the PSP Go modded USB extension method (short the data wires on the female side together and cap the other side off) and it works just fine with the Vita. Any car charger, power brick, wall charger, or USB charge port seems to work.

I've been using the one I made for my Go ever since I found out it had the same set up as the Vita (2 weeks). Use at your own discretion though as there's always a chance of damage using modded cables.

Bah... alright. Time to buy a USB extension cable, strip the outer layer, cut the two cables that are not red and white, "short circuit" it on the female side, leave it disconnected on the male side, and close it with electrical tape.

Such a hassle.
#8Sketch722002Posted 3/20/2012 7:13:44 AM
MilkTastesGreat posted...

Bah... alright. Time to buy a USB extension cable, strip the outer layer, cut the two cables that are not red and white, "short circuit" it on the female side, leave it disconnected on the male side, and close it with electrical tape.

Such a hassle.

with all the time you are taking to do this, wouldn't it be easier just to bring the actual charger?
---
PSN/XBL - Ragdoll72
#9MilkTastesGreat(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2012 7:15:47 AM

with all the time you are taking to do this, wouldn't it be easier just to bring the actual charger?

Extra luggage + time to disconnect and reconnect the charger on my end over and over again, vs. leaving the USB extension cable + USB Vita cable connected on my laptop charger, which I'll be bringing anyway, so no, it wouldn't be easier in the long run.
#10gray_fox_00Posted 3/20/2012 7:51:22 AM
Sketch722002 posted...

Not really. With this one extension cable I can charge off the usb cigarette adapter in my car, my laptop, my usb battery backup charger, and the usb wall charger my Thunderbolt uses.

Without it I'd have to pay $16-20 for the official car charger which just shorts the wires within the charger, I couldn't use my laptop charge port (only an issue if all the data connected usb ports are taken up), and wouldn't be able to use my usb power brick.

Well worth the 5 minutes it took me to strip back the wires, short a pair, cap the other, and heat up some shrink tubing and done. Plus I made it at work, so I was getting paid to do that lol.
---
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice