Cross Controller + Remote Play = work online remote play?

#1Monkey_D_RoofPosted 8/28/2012 4:32:22 AM
There are still several questions/details missing about the Vita Cross Controller Feature.

Sony has been quiet on which PS3 games will support it. It is nice to use the Vita as a controller but I care more about the online aspect.

I know people complain about possible 1 second lag with internet remote play but to be able to continue playing an RPG while I'm at work is what I am most curious about.

Does anyone know if the cross controller feature works with internet remote play rather than being in the same room at the PS3? This is a feature Sony had promised and I am waiting for.
---
3DS FC: 1289-8233-9147
#2EoinPosted 8/28/2012 4:42:07 AM
Your post is quite confusing.

I shall attempt to answer is as best as I can:

Cross Controller is the ability for select PS3 games to recognise the Vita as a controller. It works locally. Effectively it allows the Vita to act as a PS3 controller that has a screen in it. It's absolutely not a remote thing, and it's not intended to be.

Remote Play allows you to play remotely access your PS3, and use certain functions of it remotely. This includes playing PSone games, and certain PS3 games.

The ability to "continue playing an RPG at work" has nothing to do with Cross Controller, and never will. It has everything to do with Remote Play, and whether the game itself supports it (probably not, unless it's a PSone game).
#3Monkey_D_Roof(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2012 4:58:36 AM
I apologize if it sounded confusing. At the moment I can remote play online from my workplace. I can turn on my ps3 remotely and play my PSOne games through my Vita. Not all games are capable to be played remotely for multiple the reasons the one most well known being the Vita's missing buttons.

The Vita now as the ability to emulate the R2, R3, L2, L3 buttons and the Cross-Controller feature allows the Vita to be used as a ps3 controller substitute.

Sony has stated that "A future PlayStation 3 Firmware update will enable Vita Remote Play on all games"

The cross controller is located within the remote play application of the Vita that works locally and online.

(I am sorry if that was redundant information, I just wanted to be clearer on my topic)

I was curious in knowing if anyone has tested out the online remote play option. It is a part of remote play Sony hasn't touched upon. (Or at least I can't find)
---
#4EoinPosted 8/28/2012 5:04:26 AM
Monkey_D_Roof posted...
Not all games are capable to be played remotely for multiple the reasons the one most well known being the Vita's missing buttons.

The Vita now as the ability to emulate the R2, R3, L2, L3 buttons and the Cross-Controller feature allows the Vita to be used as a ps3 controller substitute.

The Vita has had the option to use L2/R2/L3/R3 since the beginning. This isn't why games won't work over Remote Play.

Monkey_D_Roof posted...
Sony has stated that "A future PlayStation 3 Firmware update will enable Vita Remote Play on all games"

No, they never did. The source for this statement is this article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-24-ps3-firmware-to-enable-vita-remote-play-for-all-games

You will see that it is not a quote from Sony and Sony did not comment on the story. Sony have never at any stage said that Remote Play would work with all PS3 games.
#5ITPPosted 8/28/2012 5:09:16 AM
I'm pretty sure that if remote play on PS3 non-optimized games was live and part of 1.8 we would've heard a gigantic uproar about it from both sony and customers finding out about it.

I haven't tried it myself though, so no comment.
#6Monkey_D_Roof(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2012 3:19:33 AM
I was able to test everything. Sadly, no online remote play for PS3 games. The cross controller option is located on the side (like an option) in the Remote Play app but works much like the PlayStation move in the sense that it turns the Vita into a specific device to only work in a very specific way for specific games they design it for. Basically, it turns the Vita into a Wii-U GamePad.

It makes sense "why" they placed the Cross Controller in the Remote Play because it is sharing content between the two systems, however the only thing Remote Play has ever allowed to do is to interact with their PlayStation 3's Xross Media Bar prior to this recent update.

It is shame because after that Killzone Demonstration of using the Vita as a full PS3 controller controlling a PS3 game, I have been waiting for this feature.

Hopefully this feature will come out unlike Cross Game Chat where after much talk about it potentially coming, they said it was impossible to do.
---