Huh. Not surprised. (re:3DS comparison)

#1killzer202Posted 1/27/2011 4:58:53 AM
3DS has the graphical capability at launch of somewhere between a Gamecube and Wii (DS was between late SNES and late N64)

NGP has the graphical capability at launch of somewhere between a PS2 and PS3 (PSP held PS1 graphics pretty consistently through its lifespan, while reaching slightly better, although not quite PS2)

NGP will probably be well over 300 while 3DS wll be (in NA) a cool(er) 250 (versus PSPs 250 and DSs 150)

Kojima will put out one amazing game for it and Sony is planning on putting more "handheld versions" of top franchises. There will also probably be at least one awesome launch title (unlike 3DS right now)

I have a feeling this is going in the exact same direction as it did last gen. NGP will be too expensive to get the immediate grasp it needs. Meanwhile, 3DS will already have a 6 month hold in whatever willing market there is.

Not to mention, the franchises.

They can use God of War, Resistance, MGS, Twisted Metal, Sly, Ratchet and Clank, Shadow of the Colossus probably, Motorstorm, Gran Turismo, Killzone, and Uncharted as strong first party stuff (disregarding the fact that the 3DS is getting MGS stuff too)

Nintendo has Mario (and all spinoffs, including Yoshi's Island and Paper Mario), Donkey Kong (and spinoffs), Zelda, Pokemon (there might be up to three games on the system, counting a couple of remakes and a main series title), Animal Crossing, Star Fox, F-Zero, Kirby, Metroid, Super Smash Bros., Kid Icarus, Pikmin, and Super Smash Bros.

I think I want to stick with Nintendo again.
#2Board_hunter567Posted 1/27/2011 5:01:25 AM
While it's likely, you have to keep in mind that times can change.
It's possible for Sony to reign as king this time around.

Possible. Not saying either will happen though.
#3JonsbaxPosted 1/27/2011 5:02:42 AM
"PSP held PS1 graphics pretty consistently through its lifespan, while reaching slightly better..."

Let's just say I stopped reading right there. PS1 and PSP graphics are near incomparable.
#4Dragunov_4_everPosted 1/27/2011 5:04:34 AM
If it can play PS2 games then that's all the reason there is for most people to buy one. Hopefully someone will hack it so we can freely play PS2 game files. You can hack the original PSP easily, but there's no games worth torrenting. Most of it's titles are so bad that I wouldn't even want them for free. Just the sacrafice of the time wasted for the download was more than it's worth.
---
I bet the whole of GFAQs that Apocalypse will be a playable character in MvC3!
Official Apocalypse of the MvC3 board!
#5daniel1232323Posted 1/27/2011 5:13:43 AM
i thought they pretty much said this thing was as powerful as a ps3, not anywhere in between.
#6KlobziPosted 1/27/2011 5:18:46 AM
The NGP showed a tech demo of a direct port of MGS4. At 20 fps though, but that's because it's not properly optimized but it serves more as a benchmark.
#7Board_hunter567Posted 1/27/2011 5:19:48 AM(edited)
i thought they pretty much said this thing was as powerful as a ps3, not anywhere in between.

They kind of mentioned that it's not exactly as powerful.
Close, but not the full 100%.
#8morphinapgPosted 1/27/2011 5:33:26 AM

3DS has the graphical capability at launch of somewhere between a Gamecube and Wii (DS was between late SNES and late N64)

the 3DS far surpasses the Wii in graphical quality.

NGP has the graphical capability at launch of somewhere between a PS2 and PS3 (PSP held PS1 graphics pretty consistently through its lifespan, while reaching slightly better, although not quite PS2)

The NGP's graphics card is better than the PS3's. In fact, when NGP releases it will have the most powerful graphics card on a game system. The 3DS is actually somewhere between PS2 and PS3, and the NGP is better than PS3 (If just talking about pure graphics, not overall processing power)
#9Board_hunter567Posted 1/27/2011 5:35:30 AM
The NGP's graphics card is better than the PS3's.

Umm, no it isn't.
#10morphinapgPosted 1/27/2011 5:56:10 AM

Umm, no it isn't.

Yes it is. But since the CPU is less powerful, overall they can say the whole system is comparable to the PS3. While it's possible to get better graphics in a game with NGP, it's not very likely, as that would most likely require a CPU more powerful than the Cell.