Didn't anyone tell Sony the acronym "NGP" is already taken?

#1TerotrousPosted 1/27/2011 7:09:20 AM
When I saw the first topic that said "NGP has arrived, the 3DS finally has true competition", my first thought was honestly that the Neo-Geo Pocket had made a surprise reappearance to challenge Nintendo. That would have been quite a shocker. Then I remembered that Sony's conference was today and came to the much more obvious conclusion.

At any rate, I assume this is not the final name. Though it's a bit surprising that they wouldn't just go with the more obvious "PSP2" codename.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat classic games!
Last game uploaded - DOS Jazz Jackrabbit
#2ugoo18Posted 1/27/2011 7:11:22 AM
No it's not because Sony does not want the NGP tainted by memories of the PSP which is probably why they changed the name. Nintendo on the other hand appear to be encouraging the association between the old DS and the 3DS name.
---
"THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT ?"
#3Board_hunter567Posted 1/27/2011 7:13:56 AM(edited)
It's also got that "Look, it's next gen!" appeal to it, so when you read about it, you automatically connecting it with the "next gen" consoles.
You don't notice it of course.

But your brain did.
#4Terotrous(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2011 7:13:43 AM
No it's not because Sony does not want the NGP tainted by memories of the PSP which is probably why they changed the name.

That's silly. The only chance Sony has of doing any better against Nintendo this gen is to build off the momentum they created last gen. PSP came in against an extremely strong competitor and did about as good as anyone could have expected. Now that they've shown that they have what it takes to compete they need to build off that success and aim for a stronger position.
---
#5Terotrous(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2011 7:14:23 AM
But your brain did.

Well, my brain immediately thought of the Neo-Geo connection, but I'm probably alone in that.
---
#6Board_hunter567Posted 1/27/2011 7:16:09 AM
Well, my brain immediately thought of the Neo-Geo connection, but I'm probably alone in that.

You're certainly not alone :P
Maybe the nostalgia factor was also intended.
#7ugoo18Posted 1/27/2011 7:30:10 AM
"That's silly. The only chance Sony has of doing any better against Nintendo this gen is to build off the momentum they created last gen. PSP came in against an extremely strong competitor and did about as good as anyone could have expected. Now that they've shown that they have what it takes to compete they need to build off that success and aim for a stronger position."

What momentum, the PSP is essentially dead or very close to it compared to the DS, apart from Japan where was the last place you heard of a PSP game selling millions within 2 or so days. They are not going to build of anything by giving up a 6 or so month head start to a Nintendo handheld.
---
"THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT ?"
#8Terotrous(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2011 8:04:49 AM
What momentum, the PSP is essentially dead or very close to it compared to the DS, apart from Japan where was the last place you heard of a PSP game selling millions within 2 or so days

They still sold over 65 million PSPs, which is a pretty respectable number. That's far more than PS3s or 360s have been sold.

And as for games selling well, I'm pretty sure Gran Turismo, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker did well.
---
#9Final_TranPosted 1/27/2011 8:40:41 AM
I'm pretty sure Phantasy Star Portable, Monster Hunter and Persona did very well in japan
---
Hell, I'd still Hit it ~ Duke Nukem
#10balmung_1992Posted 1/27/2011 8:43:37 AM
according to andriasang NGP is just a codename and the official name is still TBA
---
psn balmung92 -Proud PSP Go owner
I'd breath fire and throw ropes with knifes attached. I'd also telaport and have good fighting abililty.