So, Why Is The "PS3 In Your Pocket" Concept Supposed To Be Appealing?

#1B3ASTEDPosted 1/27/2011 10:33:32 PM
I had the exact same issue with the PSP. I own a PS3, and when I want to sit down, kick back, stop playing World of Warcraft and sink my teeth into a game, I do it sprawled across the sofa with a 42". I don't do it hunched over a 5" screen. Is the appeal supposed to be the fact that I can walk around while holding the NGP? Is it because we are, as people, impressed that a certain level of visuals can be achieved on a device that we can move around with? Does the fact it has another analogue-stick mean I should rush out to get it as soon as it releases?

I mean, I just don't know what I'm supposed to do with the NGP, it has the exact same appeal that the PSP did, which is as far as I'm concerned, not much. If I'm on a train for four hours I'll watch a film or a show on an iPod, or listen to an album, or play Angry Birds or Professor Layton or something along those lines. I just can't picture myself being sat on a train, for example, and getting a sudden urge to play my PS3, with the NGP allowing me to come prepared for just such an occasion. Not going to happen.

So, yeah, what exactly is the appeal? Is it being viewed as an actual alternative to the PS3? Because if so, you must bare in mind that Sony are always going to approach something like the NGP with far less commitment than they would the PS3. Just like the PSP, I just don't get it. Sorry.
---
I think, therefore I R.
#2-Jammo-Posted 1/27/2011 10:42:53 PM
Caveman impulse to want a shinier rock over a slightly shiny rock. I like graphics as much as the next man (I'm not a Sony hater) but people like to gawk over shiny things. Human nature.
---
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Awakening of the Skyward Oracle Ocarina Princess Waker's Phantom Spirit Adventure to the Past coming to Super Wiicubeboy Advance 64
#3mancow53Posted 1/27/2011 10:49:44 PM
cuz it better than less than a ps3 in your pocket? >.>
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSJGro_iZPs
http://www.mygranturismo.net/user_sheet.php?id=2397
#4Arucard05Posted 1/27/2011 10:52:04 PM
What did the Gameboy Color over the Gameboy, the Gameboy Advance over that?

Better graphics: not a bad thing.

And it's not as if that's all that's new. It's also got a touchscreen, two cameras, a trackpad on the back, SIXAXIS, and a second thumbsticks. The possibilities are exciting.
---
Our only enemy is the status quo. Our only friend is chaos.
#5YAMI_ANUBIS_XPosted 1/27/2011 10:53:46 PM
I hate playing console games, if I could play my PS3 games on the go, I would rather do that, handhelds are more fun than consoles, you can take them anywhere and also PS3 is stuck to the TV, who would want that? OH THATS RIGHT, YOU!

It seems someone doesnt know Japan very well, Sony from what I understand, if the NGP is very very successful, Sony wants to replace there consoles with just handhelds. There catering to japanese people, not you. Im not flaming or trolling but Sony believes handhelds are the future.
---
PSN: YAMI_ANUBIS_X
GT: Yami Anubis X I believe that is it
#6AstralFearPosted 1/27/2011 10:54:31 PM
If you don't get it then you don't. Portable gaming isn't for everyone. It appeals to me due to the fact that I was raised in a house where me and my brother and I shared a TV. If he wanted to watch TV and I wanted to play a game I could just get my Gameboy and play my games in privacy, same thing with the PSP.

With the NGP I will be able to play my PS3 and NGP games without interfering with what other people want to do. So I guess for me it's more if a privacy thing, and being selfless. Also since I always had to go to Alabama for the summer, portability helped me get through the hours.

The "PS3 in your pocket" is just a plus for me.
---
"And a game will never represent realism, guns in real life have no recoil, and you can actually zoom in with sniper scopes." TacticalSniper7
#7mancow53Posted 1/27/2011 10:59:07 PM
Sony wants to replace there consoles with just handhelds. There catering to japanese people, not you. Im not flaming or trolling but Sony believes handhelds are the future.

not saying youre trolling or even wrong, but i dont like that idea. i really really like the thought of being able to play on a system on my tv and then take the game on the road picking up right where i left off. although i suppose with that when it really comes down to it all i would need than would be the ability to plug the portable system into the tv and have a controller to use.. soooo i guess i changed my mind and kinda like the idea haha
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSJGro_iZPs
http://www.mygranturismo.net/user_sheet.php?id=2397
#8shadestreetPosted 1/27/2011 11:01:23 PM
TC - There are lots of reasons why having a handheld PS3 is appealing:

1. You travel frequently
2. Your household competes for time in front of the primary TV
3. You are a dedicated gamer who wants to play every iteration of the franchises you enjoy (i.e., a Metal Gear Solid fan must play Peace Walker)

If you don't meet any of those you are not the audience for the PSP2.