Can 3G support online gaming?

#1kye_2Posted 1/28/2011 5:58:53 PM
I'd love to play multiplayer games whilst on the move but I just don't think that 3G could support it.
Can anyone more educated on the subject shed some light?
---
"That is breaking and entering!"
"Sonicing and entering, totally different."
#2HoboOfAwePosted 1/28/2011 6:29:53 PM(edited)
Probably. I recall that online gaming was one the main points of even HAVING 3G for the NGP.

It works on iPhones, so *shrugs*.

Edit:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/01/sony-ngp-3g/
Sony doesn't seem confident that it will work well for fast-paced, real-time games. Never say never, though.
---
Old Scratch <3
Big government is your friend. They will not obsessively monitor your business nor death panel your grandma/dog. Now stop watching Fox News.
#3kye_2(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2011 6:12:30 PM
That's good to know, I didn't even know that there was online games on the iphone lol.
The 3G connection on my phone isn't very stable and I really don't wanna be disconnecting from PSN every 2 minutes :/
---
"That is breaking and entering!"
"Sonicing and entering, totally different."
#4HoboOfAwePosted 1/28/2011 6:15:07 PM
In all honestly, I'm completely uneducated on 3G. I don't even have a phone. This is all from watching demonstrations, or other people using iPhones.

I assume that Sony wouldn't give us 3G for the purpose of mobile gaming when its laggy and unplayable.
---
Old Scratch <3
Big government is your friend. They will not obsessively monitor your business nor death panel your grandma/dog. Now stop watching Fox News.
#5Dr PettrovichPosted 1/28/2011 6:23:30 PM
I have an iPhone 3GS. Based on that I'd say "no", but apparently AT&T throttles the hell out of their connection.
---
"My label dropped me! They said that songs like 'Uh-oh Polio' didn't connect with today's youth."
-MC Pee Pants
#6HoboOfAwePosted 1/28/2011 6:40:51 PM(edited)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-27-sony-outlines-ngp-asynchronous-gaming

Here's a better link. According to the article, fast-paced synchronous gaming may work if the game servers aren't flooded with traffic. So, maybe playing online shooters over 3G could be a reality, but only with less popular games?

If that's the case, then Call of Duty will be a nightmare to play over 3G.
---
Old Scratch <3
#7SpaceKungFuManPosted 1/28/2011 6:45:46 PM
I think there is enough bandwidth, but the latency is very high.
---
Fallout 3: Or how I learned to stop caring and love the bland.
#8teddifiedPosted 1/28/2011 6:53:32 PM(edited)
My guess is wireless will be for Gaming, and 3G will be for PSN friends/a Web Browser.
Since PSP had one too.
---
The Terror of Death.....
PSN - Teddified
#9HoboOfAwePosted 1/28/2011 6:56:42 PM(edited)
If 3G costs monthly payments, it'd be a pretty hard sell for just web browsing and messaging.

After some Googling on the subject, I've seen plenty of people claiming that latency over certain networks such as Verizon and T-Mobile is good enough for online gaming. All we can do now is hope that Sony will somehow figure it out. Shooters and action games over 3G would attract some serious attention.
---
Old Scratch <3
#10teddifiedPosted 1/28/2011 6:57:42 PM
I guess, I'll stick with the wireless one though, never really had a need to be connected all the time.
---
The Terror of Death.....
PSN - Teddified