How will the graphics be compared to the PS3?

#1Godspeed2000Posted 1/28/2011 7:39:20 PM
I mean, yeah probably the same, but it will be hard to top Blu-ray
---
This.
#2desoloatrocitasPosted 1/28/2011 7:43:05 PM
You don't understand what Blu-ray is do you....
It's just a media storage format.
It has nothing to do with the quality of the video except its storage space.
A 1080p movie will look the same harddrive or Blu-ray.
---
i7 860, XFX 5870, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 23" Acer 1920x1080
gt: superuberking psn: malnourish
#3gransPosted 1/28/2011 7:49:54 PM
Well to be totally fair, though bluray has nothing to do with a system's power, it can make games look superior by offering more storage space for high resolution textures and more content overall. It mostly depends on how much data the NGP cartridges can hold, at least at launch. They're flash memory based. Flash memory can potentially go higher than bluray (and has), but the larger the capacity, the higher the price to manufacture the card. It's not as much of a preset data standard like an optical disk, the sizes of these cartridges can be almost any size you want.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#4SpeakerEnderPosted 1/28/2011 8:49:02 PM
PS2.5 is my guess for the kind of graphics we'll be seeing.
---
When in Rome....
#5AznEDPosted 1/28/2011 8:58:41 PM
The graphics will be impressive. But to compare it to PS3 is just wishful thinking...
---
I'm a rich kid with issues, lots of issues ~Batman
If I ever let superman in charge again, just hit me, real hard
#6IwantadunwichPosted 1/28/2011 9:00:12 PM
There is a video of them playing Uncharted for a few minutes. After watching that, I was awed.
#7IwantadunwichPosted 1/28/2011 9:05:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j6rNKXB6sw
#8Surprise_CactusPosted 1/28/2011 9:07:49 PM
Well to be totally fair, though bluray has nothing to do with a system's power, it can make games look superior by offering more storage space for high resolution textures and more content overall. It mostly depends on how much data the NGP cartridges can hold, at least at launch. They're flash memory based. Flash memory can potentially go higher than bluray (and has), but the larger the capacity, the higher the price to manufacture the card. It's not as much of a preset data standard like an optical disk, the sizes of these cartridges can be almost any size you want.

Storing higher resolution textures is useless unless it queued for use by the GPU. Consoles suffer from lack of VRAM and always end up with mediocre textures. Though storing more content is a given, but textures need to be loaded fast, obviously, much like rendering.

I think the PSP2 can probably pull off close to PS3's capabilities, though it's worth mentioning that it's relative to resolution. PS3 typically offers 480p-720p easily with or without upscaling, and a number of games are even 1080p native.
---
The Windmill the Second is not just for show!
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9106/windmill2ndshl.jpg
#9gransPosted 1/28/2011 9:56:39 PM
I'm quite aware of how important the GPU is, but what i am referring to is the textures themselves, not the processing power that renders them or loads them. For example, what good would a PS3's specs be if it could only support CD's, with max capacity of around 700MB? You wouldn't be able to store all the high res textures. Some of them maybe, or a lot of lower res ones, but not nearly as many as a bluray. I'm not saying that the specs of the system itself aren't important with graphics, they definitely are. I'm simply saying that limited space on the cartridges themselves can potentially cause the games' graphics to look lower res, in terms of textures.

That being said, i'm going to speculate and say that a NGP cartridge is PROBABLY several times larger than the largest UMD. Maybe 8GB or larger even. That's not something to turn your nose up at any way you slice it. And thus far, the NGP games have shown that they are able to display quite high res textures, so i would imagine the cartridges will be rather large.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#10YAMI_ANUBIS_XPosted 1/28/2011 10:34:35 PM(edited)
You all know it takes 5-6 years for games to take full advantage of the system but yet you do this BS over and over. IT TAKES DEVELOPERS YEARS TO USE UP ALL THE POWER IN A SYSTEM!

NGP Uncharted game looks like Uncharted on PS3 but you dont realize it takes YEARS for developers to use all of the systems graphic powers, 4-5 years it takes for developers to maximize a systems graphic power.

It happened on NES, Genesis, SNES, PS1, Sega Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, xbox, gamecube, xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DS, GBA, PSP, 3DS, which isnt out yet and NGP.

Look at everyone of those consoles launch titles and look at the games that were made 5-6 years later. Developers dont use up all the graphic power at the beginning of the damn cycle, i takes YEARS!

PS2 launch titles looked like PS1 games, then 5-6 years later, PS2 looks AMAZING, so did Gamecube 5-6 years later, same thing with Xbox, PSP, look at its launch titles and compare them to MGS Peace Walker.

Uncharted for NGP only uses 10 percent of the NGPs power and it looks like Uncharted for PS3. Not to sound like a troll or flamer but you guys need to learn developers dont use up all the power right at the beginning. If you think Uncharted for NGP looks impressive, wait for 5-6 years, NGP will look ten times more impressive.

---
PSN: YAMI_ANUBIS_X
GT: Yami Anubis X I believe that is it