PLAYSTATION VITA FAQ (Please read before posting)

#1Orion_DepartingPosted 6/27/2011 12:43:21 AM
I've been following the Vita since it was announced at the end of January as the NGP, and since then I've seen countless dozens of topics on this board, most of which were asking the same thing. Because of this, I'm making a small little guide for newcomers to find all the basic information they need about the system.

Q: What is the Vita?

A:
The Playstation Vita is what was formerly known as the NGP, or Next Generation Portable. It is the successor to Sony's Playstation Portable, and is expected to hit store shelves beginning this holiday season.

Q: What does Vita mean? How do you pronounce it?

A:
Vita means 'life' in latin, and was chosen by Sony because the system has a much larger emphasis on being an all around media device than its predecessor. It's pronounced VEE-TA, with a long 'E'.

What can the Vita do?

A:
Aside from having entirely new hardware and having graphical capabilities near that of the Playstation 3 (albeit at a lower resolution and some graphical compromises made), the Vita sports a 5 inch OLED Multi-Touch Screen, a rear touchpad, dual analog sticks, and six-axis controls. It uses an entirely new User Interface known as LiveArea, and it will support web browsing, social networking, and cross game chat with friends.

Q: How much will the Playstation Vita cost?

A:
The Vita will be launching with two different models. The pricing for both is as follows:

Wi-Fi Model:
$249 USD
249 Euros
229 Pounds
24,980 Yen

3G Model:
$299 USD
299 Euros
279 Pounds
29,980 Yen

Q:Is the Vita region locked?

A:
No. The Playstation Vita and its games are region free.

Q: How long is the battery life?

A:
No official number has been released but Sony has said repeatedly that it will rival the PSP 1000 (original model) in battery life, so it will likely last anywhere from 4 to 7 hours. If you're wondering how the Vita can achieve this with the amount of hardware inside and it's graphical abilities, it's quite simple. The Vita uses an OLED screen, which is much more energy conservative than the older PSP screen. In addition, it lacks a UMD drive, which decreases the amount of moving parts and GREATLY increases the battery life.

Q: What do I need to know about the 3G Model?

A:
The 3G model will require you to utilize AT&T's 3G service. The device is AT&T exclusive, meaning that it cannot be used with any other wireless company, at least for the near future. Though it is as of yet unconfirmed, it is highly likely that you will have to pay a certain amount of money each month to keep your 3G service. When deciding which model is right for you it's important to note that 3G does not allow you to play online games anywhere. The 3G is only for utilizing the Vita's networking functionality, such as web browsing, cross game chat, etc.
#2Orion_Departing(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2011 12:45:34 AM
Q: Does the Vita play PSP games?
A:
Sort of. The Vita is capable of playing PSP games, but only if you purchased and downloaded them off of the Playstation Network. The Vita does NOT have UMD support! It is an entirely new system as part of the next generation of consoles/handhelds (Nintendo's 3DS and Wii U also fall into this category) and as such full backwards compatibility should not be expected.

Q: Is the Vita a digital download only device like the PSP Go?
A:
This is one of the most commonly asked questions on the board. The answer is a simple 'No'. The Playstation Vita uses a new flash based media format similar to that of the 3DS/DS line. The cards will come in 2gb and 4gb flavors at launch, but as time goes by larger sizes will become available for game developers. Digital downloading will still continue to be supported, much like the current UMDs and PSN Store coexist.

Q: Will the Vita have internal storage or will it use memory sticks?
A:
The Vita uses a new proprietary media format that has not yet been announced. Unofficial photos reveal that the new cards will come in 4gb, 8gb, 16gb, and 32gb flavors, but this is always subject to change.

Q: Do I have to buy a memory card to be able to save games?
A:
Not anymore. Game saves, patches, and downloadable content will now be saved to the game cartridge itself.

Q: Does the Vita have a video out port?
A:
No. Sony has confirmed that there is no video out on the Vita at launch.

Q: How does the rear touchpad work?
A:
It's completely up to the developers to choose how they want to use it. It may do different things depending on what game you're playing, but there are numerous possibilities. It could, for example, be used as R2 and L2 buttons, or it could be used instead of the front touch screen in order to keep your fingers out of your line of sight (and the rest of your hands can remain on the physical buttons)

Q:What are the launch titles for the Vita?
A:
Feel free to browse GameFAQs for a list of titles currently in development, but some notable titles are: Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Ruin, Gravity Daze, Little Big Planet, ModNation Racers, Wipeout 2048, and Bioshock.

Q: What colors will be available at launch?
A:
Black is the only confirmed color at this time, but a White Vita has been seen in multiple places, including press releases, conferences, interviews, etc.

Q: Should I get this or the 3DS?
A:
That's for you to decide. No one here can make that choice for you and with this being the Vita board you will get biased opinions. Either get both, or care enough to do some research before plopping down $250 for a system that may not be for you. And don't come to the boards trying to start wars either. Both systems are good.

USEFUL LINKS:

Vita Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Vita

Vita Official Site: http://us.playstation.com/psvita/

NGP Launch Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUqD8zJJCZ0

Vita Announcement Trailer (E3 2011): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIaJHh60hQY

This should help the newer people around here at least grasp what the system is. Any additional research can be done at one's own leisure.
#3_RockBand_Posted 6/27/2011 1:10:02 AM
Good job, requested a sticky.
#4BearpowersPosted 6/27/2011 1:28:39 AM
Wrong, it's pronounced Wee-Tah.

Look it up [vahy-tuh, vee-; Lat. wee-tah]

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vita
#5Orion_Departing(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2011 1:40:34 AM(edited)
Bearpowers posted...

Techinically, yes, but you and I both know that the gaming population as a whole is not going to pronounce it that way. The common way is Vee-tah. Vye-tah is way off, and the point of that question in the FAQ was to at least make sure it was not called the Vye-tah.

EDIT: Not to mention that Sony themselves have been pronouncing it 'Vee-Tah' at press conferences and also at E3.
#6Tone_IkasuPosted 6/27/2011 1:36:23 AM
Bearpowers posted...

This faq came off the sony website hence this is how they want people to pronounce the name of their system. We are not following the the literal latin pronunciation.
#7BearpowersPosted 6/27/2011 1:47:09 AM
Orion_Departing posted...
Bearpowers posted...

Techinically, yes, but you and I both know that the gaming population as a whole is not going to pronounce it that way. The common way is Vee-tah. Vye-tah is way off, and the point of that question in the FAQ was to at least make sure it was not called the Vye-tah.

EDIT: Not to mention that Sony themselves have been pronouncing it 'Vee-Tah' at press conferences and also at E3.

Sony are wrong.

They are raping the dead corpse that is Latin.
#8_The_Hitcher_Posted 6/27/2011 2:05:41 AM
You really are an absolute pedant aren't you? It's the name of their own hardware, Sony can pronounce it however they want.

Anyway, nice FAQ but for the launch titles bit I'd take out Bioshock, I severely doubt that will make it for launch while all the others have a chance or are almost certain to be.
---
PSN: ForeverLost
#9Orion_Departing(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2011 2:12:41 AM(edited)
I thought Bioshock might be a more pleasing game to list even though I know it isn't due out at launch or anywhere close for that matter. Honestly since there is no 'official' launch list yet, I avoided using the term 'launch title' to describe any of them.

EDIT: i did try to edit it out though, after you mentioned it, but my hour is up =(
#10Tone_IkasuPosted 6/27/2011 2:19:36 AM
Bearpowers posted...
Sony are wrong.

They are raping the dead corpse that is Latin.

No you are wrong because the correct way to say that is Sony IS wrong. Since latin is dead why should we use there pronunciation? Not like there are any native latin speakers left to complain about it.