Can someone describe to me the full meaning of an RPG?

#1MuownlinePosted 7/10/2011 4:06:10 PM
i realize it stands for role playing game, but iirc you play a role in pretty much every video game. not a troll topic, but a legit question.
---
SS FC : 2236 5034 6233 W FC : 0776 3518 5449
Name is Ian
#2ethsfanPosted 7/10/2011 4:10:56 PM
RPG: players control a character or team who undertake quests, and whose capabilities advance using statistical mechanics.

RPGS emphasize character advancement.

non RPGS with "role playing" elements emphasize on collaborative storytelling
#3Muownline(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2011 4:12:06 PM
thanks!
---
SS FC : 2236 5034 6233 W FC : 0776 3518 5449
Name is Ian
#4EvenglarePosted 7/10/2011 6:23:37 PM
Yeah, pretty much. RPGs usually have mathematical stats behind their character to dictate how powerful he is. This originates from Dungeons and Dragons, which itself originates from a fantasy version of Chainmail which was a tabletop war system. "Real" RPGs still exist today in the form of Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition, Pathfinder, GURPS, HERO system, and many many more. They generally offer an endless array of options and stories and things you can do and are generally better (IMO) than video game rpgs.
---
The Game. When you think about the game you lose the game. You just lost the game. Welcome to the game.
#5cleanchris2Posted 7/10/2011 6:33:50 PM
I have always wondered this. I have asked and received answers, and yet I'm still not 100% sure if there is one distinct thing that defines an RPG from any other game. There are so many games that blur the line between genres that it's sort of hard to define the distinctions, at least for me.
---
"TC is this guy: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_398/12421089776uDpsu.jpg" -chaomaster4000
#6MonopomanPosted 7/10/2011 7:04:43 PM
The term Role Playing Game is pretty broad and thus why you can never really pinpoint it down.

Basically the best way to determine is using the stats approach a RPG typically will have levels and stats like Strength, Agility etc...

That is the best way to determine what an RPG is without an in-depth analysis. Using the logic well "You play a role in the game and that makes it an RPG would mean basically ever game is an RPG."
#7BerlingerTPosted 7/10/2011 7:20:03 PM
You can't really pinpoint what an RPG is other than the developer sticking a game into that genre. There are too many games of other genres that use RPG elements that you can't clearly define an RPG openly with specific features.

Level-up system and increasing stats? Nope, The 3rd Birthday has that, which is a Third Person Shooter.

Character Customization? Nope, LittleBigPlanet and ModNation Racers have that, and they're platformers and racers.

Quests/Side Missions? Nope. Open-world racing games implement this (Need for Speed)

Open World Map to explore? Nope. Lots of RPGs don't have this, and other genres have this (Mario 64 comes to mind).

There are many other things I could go into, but it's just hard to have a true definition of an RPG. A lot of the time, you just "know" it's an RPG.
---
D012 Chat - http://webchat.irchighway.net/?channels=#dissidiaduodecimchat
Playing: The 3rd Birthday (PSP) - Episode 5 - Aya Lv.29
#8Carte360Posted 7/10/2011 8:21:59 PM
BerlingerT posted...
You can't really pinpoint what an RPG is other than the developer sticking a game into that genre. There are too many games of other genres that use RPG elements that you can't clearly define an RPG openly with specific features.

Level-up system and increasing stats? Nope, The 3rd Birthday has that, which is a Third Person Shooter.

Character Customization? Nope, LittleBigPlanet and ModNation Racers have that, and they're platformers and racers.

Quests/Side Missions? Nope. Open-world racing games implement this (Need for Speed)

Open World Map to explore? Nope. Lots of RPGs don't have this, and other genres have this (Mario 64 comes to mind).

There are many other things I could go into, but it's just hard to have a true definition of an RPG. A lot of the time, you just "know" it's an RPG.

Yeah but most of the time an RPG will have at least 2-3 and usually 4+ of those things, which makes it an RPG. Yes some RPG's have only 1 or none but for the most part if you look at your list and can pinpoint a few them into a game it is an RPG.
---
Pokemon FC: 0904-5158-2126
Yeah I am a Christian, but not the kind you think you know.
#9JonnyBigBossPosted 7/10/2011 8:49:22 PM
It'd make it easier if I answered that question as if you were asking why I love RPGs.

I love following a story full of rich characters. With that, I like to see both awesome protagonists and antagonist(s). I find leveling up characters fun, and building them up to be stronger. I also really like being able to choose who I use on my team, and what role/class they are. Most of all, I like to enjoy a big world full of adventure and surprises, with secrets to find, lots of areas to explore, and more.
---
www.playstationlifestyle.net