Okay, I was bored so I made this. (Screen size related)

#1EvilMewtwoPosted 8/1/2011 9:04:04 PM(edited)
I wasn't exactly sure how big a 5 inch screen was, and I wasn't sure of what screen ratio it would use (16:9, 4:3, 16:10, etc etc.)

So I drew it out. Turns out that, assuming the pixels are square, the length of the screen is 4.35in and the height is 2.465in. It gave me an excellent visual aid so I could figure out how big the Vita would be.

Money shot:

http://s1.postimage.org/lr0u7inps/Image.jpg

And just in case anyone actually cares: here's the math I did to figure it out, complete with me adding in little notes after the fact (once I realized I may as well put this on GFaqs) to explain what my messy mathematical form was doing:

http://s1.postimage.org/su917w8n1/Image_2.jpg

So yeah. By the way, it turns out the screen ratio is 30:17, which means it's in between 16:10 and 16:9. (It's equivalent to 16:9.06666...)

And yes, I realize this entire thing was pointless. I could have zoomed in/out of a picture of the Vita until it was 5 inches on my screen, then measured it. But I like math, so this was more fun. <3

EDIT: Rotated and resized images so you can actually see them. >_>
---
[NightReigns 10x Hermit] [Elementaiizt 106 Dragon Knight]
gMS Khaini -=-=-=-=- Currently leveling: NightReigns
#2LemonKweenstaaaPosted 8/1/2011 8:52:02 PM
I did something like that before the Wii was released. I did the research, the measurements, and made a Wiimote out of clay. I was pretty proud of myself. Anyways, you should keep your results and see how accurate you were when the time comes.
---
Splash Woman for Super Smash Bros. Wii U
#3duffloesPosted 8/2/2011 5:35:49 PM
Fellow engineer?
---
Everyone on GameFAQ's should be nice to one another.
#4Pokeman718Posted 8/2/2011 8:14:25 PM
-Claps-
---
"Lindsay Lohan got un-hot the very minute that the credits to Mean Girls concluded"
- NNG1213
#5EvilMewtwo(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2011 12:36:47 AM
Wow, came back to this topic after forgetting about it. Yeah, I'm going into engineering once I get into uni - was it that obvious? xD
---
[NightReigns 11x Hermit] [Elementaiizt 106 Dragon Knight]
#6xCha0sPosted 8/7/2011 4:44:07 AM
do some mathematics and tell me how many good games this system has on launch
#7Dark_Soldier42Posted 8/7/2011 8:12:55 AM
You can tell he is good at math because his handwriting sucks. Dont take offense because my handwriting sucks too :D
---
PSN - ShadowE17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrzngWd7bZM - funny asian dude falling in ice.
#8EvilMewtwo(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2011 10:56:10 AM
My handwriting is terrible, lol. Then again, it's summer so I haven't written stuff in a while so it's even worse than normal.
---
#9duffloesPosted 8/7/2011 11:50:07 AM
EvilMewtwo posted...
Wow, came back to this topic after forgetting about it. Yeah, I'm going into engineering once I get into uni - was it that obvious? xD

Yes, it was. I have a Construction Engineering degree, so I often find myself doing math exercises similar to that (also analysis of beams, trusses, etc) when bored or need to confirm that I still can! It wasn't so much the problem that set me off, it was the redundant (but best practice) of defining your variables and writing assumptions!

What engineering do you plan to pursue?
---
Everyone on GameFAQ's should be nice to one another.
#10EvilMewtwo(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2011 1:14:44 PM(edited)
Hopefully, mechanical engineering. I've liked building stuff since I was about 2 and got some legos to play with. When I was like 8 I unscrewed my Nerf gun to see how it works - by the next year I'd bought, opened, and improved the workings of a metric crapton of Nerf guns. >_> Just looking at the internal "guts" and figuring out what each individual piece does to help the gun operate was literally the most fun thing I could do.

I still have some of them, I'll go dig one out of my closet and take a pic if you want.

/lifestory
---