Is it okay to leave the Vita on the charger when it's fully charged?

#11PhoenixPrincePosted 12/21/2011 11:07:43 AM
From what I've seen on the 3DS boards to the same question, it's fine.
Lithium-ion batteries are set up to stop charging whenever they're full charged. The bad thing to do to them is to let it run completely dry, that will kill the battery life. Charge it when it's low, not when it's dead.
#12coolxalPosted 12/21/2011 11:47:22 AM
AnatomyHorror posted...
I'm new to any type of portable gaming that has came out in the past decade.

I was talking to a friend, and he said you shouldn't leave it on the charger, while it's fully charged because it would drain battery life.

This came up as I said I would likely leave it on the charger while playing it.

Your friend is right.

People here are correct that the batteries will automatically stop charging once full BUT leaving it on the charger AND using it at the same time WILL degrade the battery. And if you do this for long periods of time, it will get worse quicker.

The reasoning is simple. The battery will be constantly drained as you use it but since you are plugging it in to the charger as well, it will also be constantly charged. So the battery will drain by like 0.1% and then be instantly charged 0.1% and this will occur back and forth thousands of times which will degrade the battery.

In such a case, you're better off letting the battery drain power by itself instead of constant fluctuating between draining and charging. Otherwise have it run off external power only.

This is why people usually unplug their batteries when running off external power like laptops.
#13PlCANTEPosted 12/21/2011 11:50:03 AM
Unless the system is using really outdated tech, it's been fine to leave rechargeable batteries plugged in for years now.
---
--
-
#14gldooriiPosted 12/21/2011 11:52:23 AM
Yea....you can leave it plugged in all you want. Modern devices like this shut off the charging function when full and run off AC.
---
What's the difference between vertical and horizontal shooters? - NeoNujevad