Welcome Park!! Why is it not in the games list?

#1TranslatorTomPosted 12/29/2011 12:00:26 AM
Why is there no game section for Welcome Park in the Vita games list?

I realize it's just a collection of mini-games that comes with the Vita, but there are trophies I still need to get, and I wanted to swap tips and strategies with other people. (Especially for that blasted slider picture puzzle! I can't beat the two highest levels fast enough.)
#2NinjablazerZeroPosted 12/29/2011 12:06:22 AM
This topic makes the Welcome Park sound much more interesting to one who has yet to get the Vita such as myself.

Is it actually fun to play, other than to just fool around and familiarize yourself with the handheld?
---
I used to be a Moomba, then I took an Arrow to the knee.
President of the Reploid Association for Zero Appreciation Fan Club. Members:3!!!
#3TranslatorTom(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2011 6:42:11 AM
It's actually pretty fun.

It is like a time trial mini-game collection.

I thoroughly enjoy it. I'm at like 57% on the Welcome Park trophies right now. (I still have to beat the last two slider time records and the face creation picture challenge - the face creation is probably the only boring thing in Welcome Park.)

The face creation challenge (the only thing I don't like) lets you take a picture of something that resembles a face (not a human face, but like an emoticon face), and the Vita will animate it... But the problem is that it has trouble recognizing the faces I make. I've only made one successful face, and you need to make something like three to get the trophy.

There's a fun, never-ending (I think...) game with a little man on a skateboard, and you have to tilt the Vita to make him slide back and forth, or jump up. He has to dodge bouncing balls and pick up stars.

There's another where you have to hit numbers in order. It starts off straight forward, but then sometimes a number appears more than once, and you have to hit both instances of that number at the same time.

And you also have to "peel off labels" that are set on a rotating wheel... So you have to turn the wheel and then peel of the labels in order. It's fun and challenging.

There's a slider puzzle that uses pictures you take with either camera, and it has WARP ZONES on the slider puzzle that alternate around the edges of it. There are several levels of difficulty, and beating the last two levels has proven challenging for me.

There's one that uses the back touchpad. You use the back touchpad to shoot these little cannons and try to pass through these rings in order. It's hard to explain...

There's even a sound looper (not really a game, just something you can mess around with and set to music) or you can turn the music off and just play with the sounds. I had fun making ghostly noises into it!

Welcome Park is there to get people used to the Vita's new features, but it's handled like a collection of mini-games with time records. It's not a tutorial. It's a mini-game collection.
#4sinncrossPosted 12/29/2011 7:52:05 AM
Welcome Party needs serious updating imho. (though honestly it is a tutorial just fashioned as a mini game collection)

-Online Leaderboards
-Difficult settings for every game (besides the music and face creation)
-The 3 mini games in Digit Chase should be playable as stand-alone games.
-Photo puzzle should include a variant which does no allow you to warp through the side walls.
-2 to 4 player ad-hoc MP mode (race against others in Digit Chase, highest score in the skateboarding, sync music together in the music game)
-Oh, rear touch use of the main sphere on the menu should be fixed not to keep correcting itself.

Seriously, these would make Welcome Party far more useful and have longer longevity.
---
Movie Review Blog: http://cruizd.blogspot.com
Japan is so nice!
#5TranslatorTom(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2011 8:29:52 AM
Welcome Party needs serious updating imho. (though honestly it is a tutorial just fashioned as a mini game collection)

It is a mini-game collection. Yes, it is intended to help you get used to several of the Vita's new functions as you play, but it is not a tutorial. In fact, I sort of wish I COULD have a Vita tutorial, because there are still a few things I don't understand, and I even had to ask people online how to do things like open the options menu for PSP games, and it took a bit of experimentation to figure out how to move and remove icons from the main menus.

"-Online Leaderboards"

I did notice that it posts your friend's top times as they play it, in the friend activity list. Not quite the same, but it's something, at least. You can compete with your friends in this way.

"-Difficult settings for every game (besides the music and face creation)"

Good idea!

-The 3 mini games in Digit Chase should be playable as stand-alone games.

Agreed.

-Photo puzzle should include a variant which does no allow you to warp through the side walls.

It'd be less annoying that way, for sure. Those warping walls will be the death of me. Did you get the sliding puzzle trophies yet?

-2 to 4 player ad-hoc MP mode (race against others in Digit Chase, highest score in the skateboarding, sync music together in the music game)

Since most of these are time-based, I really don't see how multiplayer would work... With Skateboarding, for example, you would just dodge and collect until someone fails? And then as you keep playing, the other person waits until you fail too? It'd be boring for the person who loses first to just wait and watch their friend keep going.

-Oh, rear touch use of the main sphere on the menu should be fixed not to keep correcting itself.

Not sure what you mean by this.

"Seriously, these would make Welcome Party far more useful and have longer longevity."

It's lasting long enough for me, especially with the slider puzzles.

Did you get all of the trophies?
#6sinncrossPosted 12/29/2011 9:12:17 PM
Well its a tutorial on the PSVs control schemes. But I know what you mean. I actually enjoyed figuring out some of the stuff though :)

The friends list leaderboard is a good observation. But i think going global, and even country specific, details would be a great way to expand the app.

I like the warping walls idea. once you get the hang of them it makes the game itself interestingly fun. But the more traditional variant just means another mini game which is good for everyone.

The Mp would work as a timed based challenge to see who completes the game quickest. i say this because at Tokyo Games Show that is how they did it. They made ppl play against each other in real time before you could move onto using the PSV to play whatever demo you were in line for.
The skate game could have variaties. if its local only i dont think the guy who loses first will get that upset. But that is why difficulties help too. Maybe adding a 3 hit health system could extend the game.

On the main menu when you choose your game. There is a massice sphere. Use the rear touch pad and you will see what I mean.

Yeah I got them all. For the trophies you want try this: memorise which blocks are 1 - 4 as well as 5 - 8. As the game starts use this to line up 1 - 4 with the walls warping horizontally. this done the walls warp veryically and line up 1-4 at the top. If you can, try and get the next row done at the same time but this really happens. Finaly.. the walls are your friends but only horizontal. During vertical warps use that time to play the game as you would a normal puzzle game. use horizontal warps to move blocks into the open space and move the correct block into the needed space.
---
Japan is so nice!
#7TranslatorTom(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2011 11:13:33 PM
"Well its a tutorial on the PSVs control schemes."

Not really. The games utilize various control schemes, but they do not "train" you as a tutorial would. They just provide a series of a mini-games with an ulterior motive of introducing you to some of the features.

"On the main menu when you choose your game. There is a massice sphere. Use the rear touch pad and you will see what I mean."

Oh, the world spins and the icons scatter! I never would have noticed that. Thanks.

"Yeah I got them all."

Did you have problems with the face creation?

Thanks for the slider tips. I'll give it a try next time. I was actually thinking of writing numbers on a page and taking a picture of that.

Any ideas for something good to photograph to make it easier?
#8sinncrossPosted 12/31/2011 6:13:10 AM
We cna both agree that WP is both mini games and a tutorial.

But im sticking with tutorial first and foremost since the announcer even speaks in a manner that introduces you to the control schemes.

The numbers is a good idea, yup!

hmm, two circles about the same size and something long underneath the.

There is not much i can say but i just created the faces myself then took pictures. Try slight different angle alterations... the app can be a little finicky.
---
Japan is so nice!